Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone else enjoying dropped connections and poor customer support with Orbi RBR50?

Akahogan
Tutor

Anyone else enjoying dropped connections and poor customer support with Orbi RBR50?

So, I have been struggling with my Orbi for over one month and working with customer support. While the representatives have been very professional and supportive, the process is absolutely a failure. While I understand NetGear needing to capture some information on my settings, they have requested every device, model, OS level, downgrading firmware, etc.  Can you say, "I will do all the testing that NetGear should have done?"  I have read a few articles, one from 2018 where a person suggests creating separate SSIDs for the networks...which was not available and is still not availabe via the web UI for Orbi.  While having the separate SSIDs seems to defeat the purpose of a mesh network, I am going to see if I can figure out how to do it since people commented that it worked for their networks.

A new Firmware version is needed that allows for managing both SSIDs of the networks, not just the mesh, since it appears that is where NetGear has the issue.  Also, they need to get a better process to identify issues since they clearly focus on having customers provide all of the information and testing that they failed to do with their own equipment before launching. I have changed my settings many, many times at the request of customer service and still no resolution to dropped connections.

Orbi - Concept - Good

Orbi - Performance - Fair (great when working, failure with continued dropped connections)

Orbi - Support - Poor (Nice people, poor process and failure to resolve)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Anyone else enjoying dropped connections and poor customer support with Orbi RBR50?

v16 FW was working for past 14 days with zero issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-RBR50-RBS50-Satellite-WIFI-issues-with-FW-2-5-1-x/m-p/19...

I just updated to v32 last nite. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-50-series-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-32-FW-Release/m-p/19...

Something to try. 

Most users think they need separation of SSIDs. This would be incorrect thinking. Most of the problems seen with SSIDs and the use of single SSIDs is not Orbi, rather the wifi device mfr limiting there setup sofware to work only on 2.4Ghz, when both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are on the same network. Making dual band setup devices to work on only 2.4Ghz is a limiation from the wifi device mfr. Dualband works on either frequency and the radios are on the same network. Why IoT mfrs do this is beyone anyones thinking accept for making there product as cheap and possible. 

I've been using single SSID since Smart Connect first came out back in 2012/13. 

IF your having problems then let us know what they are. Maybe we can help you out. Give details. Been able to help users get there systems working or working better. There are many factors in problems and causes of any wifi router that can be not attributed to Orbi. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7