Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone else notice this

astrojohn
Tutor

Anyone else notice this

I am nearly positive this is NOT an Orbi issue but I thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed something similar. I have my Orbi connected behind my Uverse router (WiFi disabled, used only as a modem).  I have DirecTV hardwired to the Uverse modem and everything else goes through the Orbi.  Normal downloads speeds are in the 22-24 Mbps range, uploads are a whopping 2...<sarc>

If I do an upload of a large file [e.g., to my Google drive] downloads practically stop, both hardwired and WiFi (through the Orbi).   I first noticed it on WiFi so I thought I'd better rule out the Orbi as the source of the problem.

I ran two experiments yesterday to see if it was my Orbi or the Uverse modem.  I connected a laptop directly to the Uverse modem and my desktop was, of course,  hardwired to the Orbi.

First, I uploaded a large file from the laptop and checked the available download on the desktop (through the Orbi) - it dropped to under 2Mbps.

Second, I reversed the test and uploaded from the desktop (again through the Orbi) and checked download speed on the laptop - results were about the same, so I think that rules out the Orbi as the bottleneck. The Uverse modem is new and I'm sure AT&T will want me to reboot it before I do anything else so before I waste time talking to the know-nothings, I suppose I better try that first.

Anyone else see anything like this? I'm sure it's a Uverse issue but getting AT&T's attention is nearly impossible...

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like it. Hopefully they will listen to you. Just explain to them what all you have done. 

Have them look at the signal and there logs. Have a tech come out if thats possible. 

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you do that same test without the Orbi in the equation?  (I didnt see that in your post, if it is there I apologize)

Others have reported Google issues.

Message 2 of 8
astrojohn
Tutor

Re-ran with two PCs hardwaired into the Uverse modem - about the same results so the Orbi is out of the picture.

You may be right about a Google issue but I'm not sure how they could inhibit downloads from another source so I setup two different speed test websites: dslreports and speedtest.net.  Same results so Google is in the clear this time and ATT is the culprit.  But now I have to actually talk to them...ugh.

John

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like it. Hopefully they will listen to you. Just explain to them what all you have done. 

Have them look at the signal and there logs. Have a tech come out if thats possible. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 8
astrojohn
Tutor

Been thinking about Spectrum Internet anyway, much higher rates, lower per MB cost but never liked their predesccor (TimeWarner).  We'll see...thanks

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it turns out. 

@astrojohn wrote:

Been thinking about Spectrum Internet anyway, much higher rates, lower per MB cost but never liked their predesccor (TimeWarner).  We'll see...thanks

Message 6 of 8
astrojohn
Tutor

AT&T follow-up: I rebooted the Uverse modem - no difference, of course.  Called AT&T and was first told it was normal to have uploads stall downloads.  Made him dig deeper, found no problems in my system. I was ultimately told uploads are prioritized over downloads and/or uploads use too much bandwidth (2Mbps - ha!)...On to Spectrum to see what they have to say...

John

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation