Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone have sucess setting up Chromecast on ORBI in guest mode

alg42
Guide

Anyone have sucess setting up Chromecast on ORBI in guest mode

ORBI system in router mode.

Has anyone gotten a chromecast to work on the guest network without selecting "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network"?

The system is set up in a mixed use facility and we want guests to be able to use the WIFI and a Chomecast but not to have access to the PCs that are on the network.

Any suggestions?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14
rhester72
Virtuoso

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Chromecast is by definition peer-to-peer...if the peers can't talk, nothing useful is going to happen.

Rodney

Message 2 of 14
alg42
Guide

Thanks for the response.

Is there any news on progress toward splitting up the settings for:

Allow guests to see each other

and

access my local network.

I really don't understand how selecting that setting is any different than not having a guest network at all.

Message 3 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@alg42 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Is there any news on progress toward splitting up the settings for:

Allow guests to see each other

and

access my local network.

I really don't understand how selecting that setting is any different than not having a guest network at all.

You're right, it is confusing that the 2 options are combined as one.  The difference between checking this option and not having a guest network at all is that you don't give out your primary wifi password to your guests so you are free to change the guest wifi password between guest visits without having to also reconfigure all your home devices.

Message 4 of 14
rhester72
Virtuoso

Virtually all isolation solutions I've seen of this nature combine them, rightly or wrongly.  The assumption is that Orbi is a consumer-targeted device, and something like a Chromecast would never be used by a "guest", as it requires obvious interaction with other devices as well...the same reason a Chromecast would never work on a hotel TV, for instance.  If you're using it at a business, there may be solutions other than Orbi that would be more optimal for your use case...don't have enough information to speak to that, but I'd consider it very unlikely the two will ever be split.

Rodney

Message 5 of 14
alg42
Guide

Rodney,

I am starting to see the wisdom behind your response.

Orbi system is really nice experience from the clientele side of things (appears as one network, good handoffs, etc) but the backend is not super configurable.

Planning on going to AP mode and putting a wired router in to manage traffic and security. Hopefully this will give the best of both worlds.

Message 6 of 14
rhester72
Virtuoso

Good plan in general, but be aware that as of the time of this writing, guest mode isolation isn't working properly in AP mode (it results in guests having no connectivity at all).  That's been the case for a couple of past releases, hopefully it will get fixed in the near-ish future.

Rodney

Message 7 of 14
Carnea
Tutor

Hello Alg42 !

Same problem here. It's weird that Chromecast won't run in Orbi's guest mode : Airplay over Apple TV and Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (miracast) do work with the Orbi in guest mode. Very disappointing from Orbi (and Chromecast).

Did you manage to find a solution ? I assume we wanted to do the same kind of thing as you : have a simple way for the visitors of our conference room to cast to our big TV screen.

I tried to connect the Chromecast with the "private" wifi and then to use Chromecast's guest access with no luck...

Message 8 of 14
alg42
Guide

I installed a Ubiquiti edgerouter to manage all of my traffic and routing and set the Orbi into AP mode. I feel like its the best of both worlds. For the most part the wireless subnet (Orbi) is wide open with guest being able to see each other. The wired network is on a seperate subnet with only very specific traffic allowed from wireless to wired (all managed through firewall rules).

The chromecast users are happy. I am happy. Look into the Erlite-3 it's a suprisingly powerful box that is super affordable. In my case I went with a pre-owned ER-8 which is a bit more powerful.

Message 9 of 14
OrbiMan
Luminary

Guys chromecast has a guest mode just enabled it. Guest do not have to even connect to your network to do it. It uses sound
Message 10 of 14
alg42
Guide

@OrbiMan wrote:
Guys chromecast has a guest mode just enabled it. Guest do not have to even connect to your network to do it. It uses sound

May work for some. That was one of the first things that I tried. Personally I could never get that mode it working properly. I don't have any notes on what the issues were but it didn't solve my problem.

Message 11 of 14
Carnea
Tutor

Thank you both for your answers ! I'll look into the idea of your router.

I'll give another try at the guest mode, but until now I couldn't bring it to work at all...

Message 12 of 14
alg42
Guide

Not sure if you are referring to Chromecast guest mode or ORBI guest mode.

Keep in mind that as Rodney pointed out above the guest setting in AP mode does not work. My recommendation is to use non-guest mode with "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" enabled. 

@Carnea wrote:

Thank you both for your answers ! I'll look into the idea of your router.

I'll give another try at the guest mode, but until now I couldn't bring it to work at all...

Message 13 of 14
Carnea
Tutor

Thanks alg42. Did you mean : the Orbi should be in guest mode, with "allow guests to see each other and access my local network" ? Have just tried that and, of course, it works : the guests can cast to the Chromecast (without having to use the Chromecast's own "guest access"). But then these guests would have access to our local network too... So I'll have to figure out how to implement the solution you mentioned with your Ubiquiti router.

By the way : the Chromecast's guest mode is quite useless for us : it only works with Android apps that have the Chromecast  "button". So you can't cast the screen of your Android device, let alone a tab of Chrome on your pc or the desktop of your computer.

Thanks again. Greetings from Switzerland.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7