Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: App Issue - Using 2 RBR50 routers (one as an Access Point)

Dubs89
Follower

App Issue - Using 2 RBR50 routers (one as an Access Point)

I purchased 2 of these routers with 1 satellite for each.

Upstairs:
- I set my Telus modem to bridge mode.
- I set one of my Netgear routers and connected it to my Modem (Port 1).
- I set up a satellite and have it connected to this router.

Downstairs:
- The second router I purchased I set up as an Access Point by logging into OrbiLogin.com and using the setting there. Used dynamic DNS as recommended.
- Ran a cable from the upstairs router and plugged it into the router I set up as an Access Point.
- The second satellite I set up downstairs and it seems it is connected to the Access Point router.

Both the Access Point and Main router have the same Wifi login (username and password) so it seamlessly switches between them.

My issue is that when logging into the Orbi App and the Circle App I get which ever router I am connected to at that moment. So I don’t get all my household devices on either App, only what is connected to whichever router at the time.

I thought you could not use the Orbi app with a router in Access Point mode, did I miss somthing when setting up the access point (I followed the directions in the help section on this website, just logged in and selected the setting.)

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

@Dubs89 wrote:
I thought you could not use the Orbi app with a router in Access Point mode...

I do it all the time. But my setup is different. The Orbi AP sits behind a Nighthawk R7800 router.

If I connect to the Nighthawk wifi, I have to use Anywhere Access to use the Orbi app. 

If I connect to the Orbi wifi, I have to use Anywhere Access to use the Nighthawk app.

Your set up with two Orbi devices is not the same. You have the same SSID, so you can know which on you are connecting to for wifi.

Have you tried using Anywhere Access for your Orbi app? This might show all the devices on the network.

I doubt if you will find many people with the same setup as yours. (Why have two Orbi routers when you could use extra satellites?) If you do want to explore that angle you might do better to visit the Orbi section.

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Dubs89 wrote:
I purchased 2 of these routers with 1 satellite for each.

Upstairs:
- I set my Telus modem to bridge mode.
- I set one of my Netgear routers and connected it to my Modem (Port 1).
- I set up a satellite and have it connected to this router.

Downstairs:
- The second router I purchased I set up as an Access Point by logging into OrbiLogin.com and using the setting there. Used dynamic DNS as recommended.
- Ran a cable from the upstairs router and plugged it into the router I set up as an Access Point.
- The second satellite I set up downstairs and it seems it is connected to the Access Point router.

Both the Access Point and Main router have the same Wifi login (username and password) so it seamlessly switches between them.

My issue is that when logging into the Orbi App and the Circle App I get which ever router I am connected to at that moment. So I don’t get all my household devices on either App, only what is connected to whichever router at the time.

I thought you could not use the Orbi app with a router in Access Point mode, did I miss somthing when setting up the access point (I followed the directions in the help section on this website, just logged in and selected the setting.)

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7