Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

App no longer works

MattDX66
Tutor

App no longer works

Have an orbi mesh which I connected to my virgin hub 3.  All has been fine for a good few months until last week neither the app nor browser will connect anymore.  I can see the orbi connected to my hub in it's IP list (but oddly enough the mac address is different!) and I can't acces it via that IP.

Running my hub 3 in modem mode makes no difference either.

Any advice?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MattDX66
Tutor

Re: App no longer works

Did a reset - which did nothing.  Unplugging the ethernet cable from the ethernet socket made it work however.  At this point I did a bit of cable play and realised I'd also wired the ISP router to a switch that was on the same network so they were wired in basically a loop!

<insert face palm gif here!>

Thanks for all the advice - consider this case closed,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
MattDX66
Tutor

Oddly I can connect to both satellites via their IP but not the router

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 3 of 6
MattDX66
Tutor

Did a reset - which did nothing.  Unplugging the ethernet cable from the ethernet socket made it work however.  At this point I did a bit of cable play and realised I'd also wired the ISP router to a switch that was on the same network so they were wired in basically a loop!

<insert face palm gif here!>

Thanks for all the advice - consider this case closed,

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6

@MattDX66 wrote:

Have an orbi mesh which I connected to my virgin hub 3.  

That is a modem/router. So you can end up with two routers.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A lot of people use an Orbi system in AP mode, especially if they have a decent router in front of it. Only you know which of your two routers provides the best features for your needs.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7