Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple Expresses keep dropping

CarlCO
Aspirant

Apple Expresses keep dropping

My home wifi system has been spiraling out of control... it was working alright with my ASUS router but I didn't have enough range so I picked up the Orbi System (base with one satelitte).

I have faster speed and better coverage throughout the house when using my laptop and phones... but all my streaming devices aren't happy.  My airport expresses (which I use for streaming music) are dropping left and right.  

Installed all the updates but still no luck.  

Any help/insight would be much appreciated.  

Thanks. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Not sure how you have things setup, but you do not want more than one device broadcasting WiFi.  That will cause problems.  Turn off the WiFi radios in your Airport Express units and connect them to your network using Ethernet. Orbi should be the only SSID available.

Message 2 of 6
CarlCO
Aspirant

All the airport expresses are set to join an existing network, so I don't believe that is the issue.

My expresses are too far to hardwire (via ethernet) 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@CarlCO wrote:

All the airport expresses are set to join an existing network, so I don't believe that is the issue.

My expresses are too far to hardwire (via ethernet) 

It might not be convenient, but a wired setup would be better.  You can connect the Airport via wire to the Orbi router or to any Orbi satellie, and you can use a long cord, so you should have some flexibility in where you place things.

In any case, you should try the Airports in a wired setup and see if that resolves your issue.  Then you can go from there.

See the instructions in this article. Are the Airport devices set to bridge mode, as described in the article?

http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/configure-an-airport-express-as-an-ethernet-airplay-receiver

Message 5 of 6
CarlCO
Aspirant

It might not be convenient, but a wired setup would be better.  You can connect the Airport via wire to the Orbi router or to any Orbi satellie, and you can use a long cord, so you should have some flexibility in where you place things.

Sorry... but that's just silly.  The airport expresses have worked wirelessly for years with other routers.  This problem is strictly related to the introduction of the Orbi system and I will replace the Orbi's with a mesh system that functions how I want it before running wire thoughtout my house.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7