Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple TV 4k loses connection to Orbi RBK 50 AC3000

TheElSean
Follower

Apple TV 4k loses connection to Orbi RBK 50 AC3000

Just setup an RBK 50 with one sattelite and all was well.  The other day my Apple TV wouldn't connect to the internet.  Resolved itself a few hours later.  Then today it happened again.  It shows a connection to Wi-Fi, and I can even run the speed test app on the apple tv and it gets a speed back, but when I try to open any app, it says not connected to the internet.  Tried restarting Orbi / Apple TV and nothing worked.  Once again a few hours later it was working again for a while, then stopped.

I've had the Apple TV working fine for over a year until I installed the Orbi.  Is there something wrong in my Orbi config?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Apple TV 4k loses connection to Orbi RBK 50 AC3000

Seems like another double NAT issue. If your ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since Orbi is also doing NATing. You need to check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8    (traceroute to Google’s DNS server)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Apple TV 4k loses connection to Orbi RBK 50 AC3000

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@TheElSean wrote:

Just setup an RBK 50 with one sattelite and all was well.  The other day my Apple TV wouldn't connect to the internet.  Resolved itself a few hours later.  Then today it happened again.  It shows a connection to Wi-Fi, and I can even run the speed test app on the apple tv and it gets a speed back, but when I try to open any app, it says not connected to the internet.  Tried restarting Orbi / Apple TV and nothing worked.  Once again a few hours later it was working again for a while, then stopped.

I've had the Apple TV working fine for over a year until I installed the Orbi.  Is there something wrong in my Orbi config?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7