Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple TV airplay not working - is there a firmware fix?

jp4120
Guide

Apple TV airplay not working - is there a firmware fix?

never had a problem until installing ORBI system - spent 4 hours on this before coming here and seeing it may be a compatibility problem and there may be a firmware fix. i have a second generation Apple TV i am ready to throw throught the window soon.  should i discard or is there a fix somewhere?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Last FW fix was to help out Apple Home Kit problems...

How is airplay not working? 

Message 2 of 9
jp4120
Guide

when i click on computer icon in Apple TV menu it says enable home sharing on the computer you wish to use as the source, i have the latest version of itunes installed and have homeshare enabled.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a power off of the router and satellite after the FW was updated performed? 

Ensure your Apple Share is enabled correctly:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201779

Last resort you might do a factory reset of the Orbi router and set up from scratch and see if this helps.

Message 4 of 9
AC641
Luminary

I have two Apple TV devices (3rd Gen) and have had occasional issues with them long before I got the Orbi.  I rarely use Air Play but whenever I've had issues with streaming from my PC etc. I pull the power cable from the Apple TV and on reconnecting and rebooting it has always worked.

Message 5 of 9
jp4120
Guide

homesharing still not working correctly - have rebooted many times - apple tv listed as connected to Orbi when i go into admin screen. wonder if there is an advanced setting that is in conflict with it.  I have a 2nd generation maybe thats not supported for some reason?

my Asus Win10 PC has latest version of itunes with home sharing enabled for my apple user id.  My apple TV has home sharing enabled for same user id.  When i go to computer on apple TV grid it tells me i need to enable home sharing on my pc..  I wonder if its apple tv device recognition that is at fault or if any else has any ideas.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You might ask about the new beta that the moderators have been asking users to help test out...

Message 7 of 9
jp4120
Guide

not afraid to admit a mistake, maybe this will help someone else.... i finally got around to troubleshooting a bit.

i was able to get home sharing with apple tv & itunes to work using a laptop, which told me that the problem was my network connectivity not my apple tv.,   I then realized i had not activated orbi access from my desktop pc (where i had my external drive with movies connected)....so obviously wireless home sharing won't work if you are wire connected only......

sometimes the obvious problem is the last one you think of...in the past my wired desktop auto connected to wireless also....Orbi changed that since its a separate system from the comcast modem.........all is working now.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Great information. Thanks for letting us know. Will keep this in mind. 

@jp4120 wrote:

not afraid to admit a mistake, maybe this will help someone else.... i finally got around to troubleshooting a bit.

i was able to get home sharing with apple tv & itunes to work using a laptop, which told me that the problem was my network connectivity not my apple tv.,   I then realized i had not activated orbi access from my desktop pc (where i had my external drive with movies connected)....so obviously wireless home sharing won't work if you are wire connected only......

sometimes the obvious problem is the last one you think of...in the past my wired desktop auto connected to wireless also....Orbi changed that since its a separate system from the comcast modem.........all is working now.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7