Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple TV dropping network with ORBI53

JLG1965
Guide

Apple TV dropping network with ORBI53

I purcheased the ORBI53 about a month ago and everything has worked well until yesterday. The network is dropping IOS devices, especially 2-4th Gen Apple TVs with up to date softeware. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JLG1965

I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 23
ktd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too see a lot of No network connection on our AppleTV. Did not have that a single time with the Asus router we had before. 😞

Message 3 of 23
dmorrone
Tutor

Having same issue.  Apple TV keeps dropping connection.

Message 4 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a beta firmware that is working to fix wifi connection issues if you would like to test this send me a PM.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 23
JLG1965
Guide

I couldn't take it anymore and returned it. Purchased a VELOP from linksys. So far it's working well.
Message 6 of 23
ktd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stay away from the beta people. After spending a few hours updating, factory reset and config everything again I can't bearly get any device to get a stable connection.

And devices connected to the satellite gets a speed of around 3Mbps down and 0,5 up. Normally I get around 150Mbps up and down with the same devices.

I have to spend a lot of time reverting back to latest stable again... 😞

Message 7 of 23
Drakimor
Initiate

Wish I'd seen this before I bought it and spent the morning setting it up.

Disaster and my wife is pissed.
Back to the store.

Come on Netgear... home router and you don't test with the most popular home products?
Message 8 of 23
SamirDS
Tutor

Same issue as others. Been the rounds with Netgear support trying to get the issue fixed - different channel numbers, checking if AppleTV is connected to the Satellite or Router, Beta firmware, etc. The latter worked briefly but the router/satellite auto-updated themselves to the latest firmware. Back to square one. An example of the pain I have had to go through... 

Rented a movie last night via Apple TV. Movied played.

4 mins - freeze - 30 sec later started playing again

15 mins - freeze - 10 sec later started playing again

16 mins - Apple TV message - "Cannot access iTunes Store". Followed by an "error occurred loading this content"

Checked my Macbook Pro. WiFi on laptop not working. "ORB100 cannot be joined"

WiFi restarted on laptop - working

Apple TV will not play movie

Restarted AppleTV

Movie played but high level of pixelation. Pixelation resolved itself after 5 mins

At this point checked TX rate on laptop - 39Mbps. Connected to 2.4ghz ch 13

Movie froze again at 22 mins

Waited 1 min - did not restart

Attempted to play on laptop and airplay to AppleTV. Would not play on laptop  

AppleTV restarted - movie played. But froze in 10 seconds of starting. Did not restart.

Laptop connected to ORB100 - TX rate 79Mbs.

Gave up. Started up  WiFi on old outer and connected AppleTV to old router. Movie played - no pixelation, no freezes. Old router connection at 78Mbs  at 2.4ghx ch 1

As other users have said - Netgear get your act together! You need to make sure your firmware works with Apple products (some of the most popular in the world) period! 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 9 of 23
carbonyle
Aspirant

Purchased the Orbi a couple days ago, set it up today and updated with the latest firmware.

AppleTV will not connect to Orbi network. Brought the Verizon wifi back on, worked liked a charm.

Disappointing.

Message 10 of 23
p0rtmonkey
Aspirant

This has me PULLING MY HAIR OUT! In the last week or two, I've noticed the apple devices in my bedroom area of my house have basically stopped working. The AppleTV (most recent gen before the release of the new one) is now pretty much worthless... which is crazy b/c I've been using it for 8 or 9 months now and have never had an issue. My AppleTV was connected with 5 bars of strength and it couldn't even load Hulu or Playstation Vue... just timed out. I did a speedtest on my Lenovo T470 and I got 130Mbps down and 76Mbps up in my bedroom.

No clue what has happened recently but it's insanely frustrating. Many reboots of the Orbis and Apple TV with no fix.

Message 11 of 23
SamirDS
Tutor

Hi, I had the same issue for months with the Orbi - went through various methods and beta firmware as well. In the end it was the latest firmware V2.0.0.74 on my RBR50 and RBS50 that resolved the issue. Although it created other issues in terms of connection between the RBR50 and RBS50 which in my home meant that I needed an additional satellite. 

Message 12 of 23
p0rtmonkey
Aspirant

Interesting... I'm on that firmware as well and it just started acting up recently. I'm in a 3 story townhome so I just ordered another RBS50 to put on the other side of my townhouse directly underneath my bedroom to see if that fixes the problem (both router & satellite will be on the floor - floor #2) Fingers crossed. I have my other satellite downstairs in the walkout basement so my back yard area has coverage.

Message 13 of 23
tezz
Initiate

up date needed 

Message 14 of 23
jmicha01
Aspirant

Also would like to see an update.  Experiencing the same problem with my 3gen AppleTV.  Will frequenly disconnect from Orbi even tho the base station is in the same room.

Jeff

Message 15 of 23
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

I thought I was upgrading my home WiFi with a new RBK50 system. I upgraded from an Apple Airport Extreme router located upstairs to this new RBK50, with the base unit upstairs and the satellite downstairs.

I never had an issue with the Apple router, but wanted to get a bit more reach into different parts of the house.

And now I'm noticing that streaming via my Apple TV (4G) is horrible. Last night I was streaming NCIS on the CBS app and the picture would change from crystal clear to grainy...sometimes the picture would freeze for a few seconds...sometimes the audio would drop for a few seconds.

Is this something I'm going to have issues with, or is there something that can be updated to fix this?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 16 of 23
Drakimor
Initiate

Good luck... as you can see from this thread we've been waiting a while.

I'd just return it before you can't like those of us stuck with it. I ended up having to get a wireless dongle and use the ethernet port on the Apple TV. Even then it flakes out on occation, but it's better.

Message 17 of 23
sivasenthuran
Aspirant

Hi, I just purchased the Orbi RBK50 3 days ago. Our Apple TV 4th Generation has been having difficulty streaming (picture pixelates or connection drops or buffers) content both from our own imac as well as from external providers such as Netflix. Its school holidays in Queensland, Australia and the kids are going mad. We have a fibre to the premises NBN connection which has been very good (i.e apple TV worked well with no streaming problems)

The only thing I could find happening is that there seems to be no way of forcing an apple device to stay on a 5GHz channel. Looking at the device list it appears that devices switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz unpredictably. In desperation, I have turned the transmit power down on the 2.4GHz band to 25% and it seems to have made the issue less problematic.

I am going to return my Orbi which I bought after reading all the rave reviews if this cant be sorted. Please help.

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

What channels are you using? Try 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Any wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many? 

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming. Save settings and reboot the router, satellite and ATV.

What is the distances between the router, satellite and ATV to each other? 

Message 19 of 23
sivasenthuran
Aspirant

Hi,

My modem is a Technicolor TG 789 vac v2 provided by iinet.net.au. It is connected by ethernet cable to the National Broadband Network fibreoptic cable distribution box in the basement of our house.

The modem has a built in router but running in bridged mode. I have disabled the wifi connectivity of the TG789 modem router so we only have the networks generated by the Orbi.

For 2.4GHz currently channel set is to Auto. For 5GHz channel is set to 36

1 Wifi neighbour whose network occasionally is picked up

I have disabled MIMO, Daisy chain and Fastroaming and will reboot and report back.

The router is about 12m from the satellite with walls (plasterboard and wooden cabinets) in between in a single level house. The apple TV is about half way between the router and satellite. 

Thanks for the prompt response !

Message 20 of 23
sivasenthuran
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38

Thanks for your tips. The problems seem to have resolved with making the changes you suggested.

I am going to keep my Orbi !

Siva

Message 21 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear it's working better. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@sivasenthuran wrote:

Hi FURRYe38

Thanks for your tips. The problems seem to have resolved with making the changes you suggested.

I am going to keep my Orbi !

Siva

Message 22 of 23
AKLGUY
Apprentice

I have the RBK50 (just one Satellite.

I have my Apple TVs hard wired. But my iPhones and iPads WIFI. I have had no issues with.

Running the latest Firmware on the Orbi.

Only thing is my iOS Device all have fixed IPs.

My ATV devices (I have 4 of them) all have DHCP assigned IPs

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7