Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple devices disconnect from satellite

Deckard22
Aspirant

Apple devices disconnect from satellite

Hello! My iPhone SE and iPad 2 seem to have trouble staying connected to one of my Orbi satellites. I can be sitting two feet away from the satellite and will drop a bar, and sometimes disconnect entirely for several seconds. I have two satellites, and this is the only one that behaves like this.

I did a factory reset a couple of months ago, and the problem persists. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is the system using?

Try disabling the following and see:
Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router.

Try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...

Message 2 of 15
Deckard22
Aspirant

Thanks...I'll try those suggestions!

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know...

Message 4 of 15
Deckard22
Aspirant

Well, this issue is rearing its ugly head again. Tried the suggestions mentioned earlier on this thread. I admit I only seriously monitored for about a week, but things worked perfectly. Then, last night, losing bars and dropped connection entirely again. 

Any more advice? I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. Again, it's only the one satellite that has this problem, the other one works fine. Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's just the one satellite and the other one works, I would get ahold of NG support and ask for an RMA for the one satellite. Seems faulty. Only other thing I would try would be to connect a wired PC to the satellite, re-load current or maybe v.10 FW back on to it. After it's loaded, factory reset the satellite and re-add it and see. If it happens again, I would replace it.

I presume the power adapter voltage and amps are good at the tip?

@DarrenM

@Blanca_O

Message 6 of 15
Deckard22
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply...how do I reload the firmware onto just that one satellite? I'll try that again and then maybe factory reset (again). Also, does anyone know roughly the cost of getting an RMA done, and roughly how long it takes? I'm in Canada, but don't worry about converting dollars...mentioning more in terms of shipping times. 

I'll try your suggestion once I know how to reload the firmware. Thanks again!

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect a PC to the satellite and log into it's IP address, You can find it on the base router. Once in you should see a FW update section. Just download the RBS FW file to your PC first.

No idea of how long or cost of RMA. Something you'll have to ask NG support about.

Message 8 of 15
thebbandj
Initiate

I have been struggling with my iOS devices showing full strength wifi, but no connection for some time now in a room that is equal distances from the router and satellite. 

I had already disabled:

- Beamforming,

- MIMO-MU,

- Daisy Chain,

- Fast Roaming

And went in and changed the following settings:

- Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.  

- Changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307 for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz 

The problem is gone. I am going to see if it is the combo of the two or just one, but very happy this is solved. 

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Now what happens if you re-enable Beamforming only with those other settings?

@thebbandj wrote:

I have been struggling with my iOS devices showing full strength wifi, but no connection for some time now in a room that is equal distances from the router and satellite. 

I had already disabled:

- Beamforming,

- MIMO-MU,

- Daisy Chain,

- Fast Roaming

And went in and changed the following settings:

- Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.  

- Changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307 for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz 

The problem is gone. I am going to see if it is the combo of the two or just one, but very happy this is solved. 

Message 10 of 15
Deckard22
Aspirant

Thanks...I tried changing these, other than the 20/40 co-existance setting (which I couldn't find), and no joy. Where to you find that setting?

Message 11 of 15
Deckard22
Aspirant

Earlier, I did turn off all of the settings EXCEPT beamforming, and found no difference. Very frustrating! Thanks for your advice.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe theres is a 20/40Mhz check box under Basic/Wireless settings. Uncheck this to get 40Mhz.

@Deckard22 wrote:

Thanks...I tried changing these, other than the 20/40 co-existance setting (which I couldn't find), and no joy. Where to you find that setting?

Message 13 of 15
Deckard22
Aspirant

Thanks...I'll check that out!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know...

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors