Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple iMac cannot find ORBI network

ydlazkov
Tutor

Apple iMac cannot find ORBI network

Hi all,

I rececently bought and setup ORBI RBR40. All our devices have no problem connecting except for our Apple iMac. The iMac could not even find the network. 

Please help.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What year model is the iMac?

What OSX version are you using?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Turn OFF the iMac WiFi radio then turn it back on and scan for SSID names. Make sure the SSID name is simple. Not complex

Temporarily disable WPA on the Orbi and see if the iMac can see or connect. Then re-enable WPA2 and AES.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What year model is the iMac?

What OSX version are you using?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Turn OFF the iMac WiFi radio then turn it back on and scan for SSID names. Make sure the SSID name is simple. Not complex

Temporarily disable WPA on the Orbi and see if the iMac can see or connect. Then re-enable WPA2 and AES.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
ydlazkov
Tutor

Hi FURRYe38,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Took me a while to do all the things you recommended. But what worked for me were:

- temporarily disabling the WPA2 in ORBI. The mac was able to find the wifi name. 

Then when I tried to connect to the wifi, i got an error message saying the IP is address is being used by another device. 

I googled about that error and it was recommended to renew the IP address -- by going to System Preferences > Network > TCP/IP > select WIFI > make sure the Configure IPv4 is set to 'Using DHCP'. Then click the Renew DHCP Lease button.

After that, in ORBI, I reverted the setting for WPA2.

It is important to re-start the mac.

Then once I restarted our mac, it was able to find our wifi network.

I appreciate your help. Thanks heaps.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. I recommend setting up an IP address reservation for each devcie ON the router, this will help with IP address conflicts. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7