Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple products and the orbi mesh system

mustangtexas
Initiate

Apple products and the orbi mesh system

It sems all of my Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iMac) have wierd connection issues with my Orbi RBK50.  They connect, but not everything work correctly.  The iPad and iPhones will connect to the app store but they cannot download from it.  My Mac will connect to the internet bbut it cannot download anything (ie the firmware update for Orbi).  Even more strange is... sometimes it will all work.  I have no issues with my Windows or Android devices.  I'm seriously thining about returning the system for another solution from another company but I figured I'd try here, first. HAs anyone had this problem and found a solution?  I really want to like Orbi... but the system is making that difficult. 

Message 1 of 28
ekhalil
Master

Message 2 of 28
DDuss
Guide

I had the same issue. When I set up my Orbi, I had my Uverse modem's wifi enabled and the Orbi working in router mode. Everything was working perfectly but my apple devices couldn't download or update from the app store.
I first disabled my Uverse modem's wifi but that didn't fix it. After doing some google'n I found out that I needed to go into orbilogin.com put the Orbi in AP mode. Now everything works perfectly
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@mustangtexas wrote:

It sems all of my Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iMac) have wierd connection issues with my Orbi RBK50.  They connect, but not everything work correctly.  The iPad and iPhones will connect to the app store but they cannot download from it.  My Mac will connect to the internet bbut it cannot download anything (ie the firmware update for Orbi).  Even more strange is... sometimes it will all work.  I have no issues with my Windows or Android devices.  I'm seriously thining about returning the system for another solution from another company but I figured I'd try here, first. HAs anyone had this problem and found a solution?  I really want to like Orbi... but the system is making that difficult. 

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@DDuss wrote:
I had the same issue. When I set up my Orbi, I had my Uverse modem's wifi enabled and the Orbi working in router mode. Everything was working perfectly but my apple devices couldn't download or update from the app store.
I first disabled my Uverse modem's wifi but that didn't fix it. After doing some google'n I found out that I needed to go into orbilogin.com put the Orbi in AP mode. Now everything works perfectly

Message 5 of 28
mustangtexas
Initiate

Thank you for the reply. When I get back home this evening I'll give that a try.  One of the inaccessible sites when using the Apple/Orbi combination was, ironically, the Orbi management page.  I'll try on one of my PCs or switch my Mac to my cable company WiFi. 

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 28
DDuss
Guide

"configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode."

Does this have any benefit over AP mode?
Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

While in AP mode, most of the Routers features are disabled and not usable. 

@DDuss wrote:
"configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode."

Does this have any benefit over AP mode?

Message 9 of 28
DDuss
Guide

I'd like to take my router out of AP mode. I think it throttles wifi speed.
How do I change the DMZ?
Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to access the modems web page and look for the DMZ there. Input the IP address the Orbi routers gets from the modem and put this address into the modems DMZ. 

Refer to the Mfr of the modem for information on accessing the modems web page and DMZ. 

@DDuss wrote:
How do I change the DMZ?

Message 11 of 28
ekhalil
Master

@DDuss wrote:
How do I change the DMZ?

In the WAN settings of any router you should find a DMZ server address.

The DMZ server address is the place where you want all "non-defined" traffic to go to. That is traffic from the Internet that is not a response to one of the devices connected to Orbi. This traffic is usually discarded by the ISP router. Instead of discarding this traffic, you can specify that the router forwards the traffic to Orbi. In this case Orbi will be the default DMZ Server for the ISP router. This is a way to tell the ISP router not to make any routing decisions and leave all decisions to Orbi instead. This is used only when there is no settings in the ISP router to "bridge" it.

Just as an example how to set this in your router, you can see here how to set this in Orbi.

Namnlöst.png

Please find the corresponding settings in your ISP router. In the DMZ IP address you need to set the IP address assigned by the ISP router to Orbi.

I hope that this helps 🙂

Message 12 of 28
DickDuke
Apprentice

@mustangtexas & @DDuss it seems like you have two devices providing routing at the same time. Two routers does not equate to “twice as much”, it causes all kinds of conflict, confusion, and network grief. 

One way or another you need to configure your network so that EITHER the Orbi base station OR the ISP modem is the only device acting as the router. Any of the solutions already offered by others here should do the trick.

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it's going. 

@DDuss wrote:
How do I change the DMZ?

Message 14 of 28
DDuss
Guide

Hey all,

I've gone through every setting and sub folder within my Uverse BGW210-700 modem and not once did I see a spot that allows you to change the DMZ. Could it be called something else?
Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Check for DMZ Plus and IP Passthrough? 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/smb-internet/KM1188700?gsi=qZc8BAU

Not sure if the article helps or not. 

@DDuss wrote:
Hey all,

I've gone through every setting and sub folder within my Uverse BGW210-700 modem and not once did I see a spot that allows you to change the DMZ. Could it be called something else?

Message 16 of 28
DDuss
Guide

I did see ip passthrough but there no was mention of dmz or DMZ plus in that section.

I'm new to networks so I apologize if I'm coming off completely clueless
Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact your ISP and ask them about DMZ. They will know. It's probably in the menu someplace. It will say DMZ or DMZ plus. 

Message 18 of 28
ekhalil
Master

DMZ+ and IP Passthrough are essentially the same feature with different names depending on the line of Gateway, the 2WIRE/PACE gateways called it DMZplus, the Motorola gateways called it IP Passthrough. What it does is:
1) Sends the public IP address that the Gateway receives from its upstream DHCP query to your downstream router in response to a DHCP request.
2) Passes unsolicited traffic that arrives on its WAN interface to indicated internal IP address without altering the IP address information
3) Passes traffic from the indicated internal IP address to its WAN interface without altering the IP address information
Message 19 of 28
DDuss
Guide

Definitely no DMZ/dmzplus in the menu.
I'm having trouble posting the pic so:

This is what is see from the IP Passthrough menu
Allocation mode - off (drop down box)
Default server internal address -e.g. 192.0.2.1 (text box)
Passthrough mode - dhcps - fixed (drop down box)
Passthrough fixed Mac address - e.g. 00:01:02:03:04:05 (text box)
Passthrough DCHP lease - e.g. 00:00:10:00 ( days hours minutes seconds text box)
Message 20 of 28
ekhalil
Master

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Review this:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/How-to-put-the-Motorola-NVG589-in-bridge-mode-or-as...

https://www.att.com/Common/storefront/resources/pdf/att_bridged_mode_vs_ip_passthrough_nov2012_v3.pd...

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Arris/BGW210-700_-_ATT/IP_Passthrough.htm

You might contact the ISP and have them help you if you can't get IP PassThrough configured...

@DDuss wrote:
Definitely no DMZ/dmzplus in the menu.
I'm having trouble posting the pic so:

This is what is see from the IP Passthrough menu
Allocation mode - off (drop down box)
Default server internal address -e.g. 192.0.2.1 (text box)
Passthrough mode - dhcps - fixed (drop down box)
Passthrough fixed Mac address - e.g. 00:01:02:03:04:05 (text box)
Passthrough DCHP lease - e.g. 00:00:10:00 ( days hours minutes seconds text box)

Message 22 of 28
DDuss
Guide

This is great. Now I just have to sit down and really go through the walk through so I can fully understand what I'm doing.
Thanks
Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

If you get stuck or it doesn't work, make contact with the ISP. They should be able to help you with the modem settings. 

Smiley Wink

@DDuss wrote:
This is great. Now I just have to sit down and really go through the walk through so I can fully understand what I'm doing.
Thanks

Message 24 of 28
DDuss
Guide

Will do. Thanks
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 9 kudos