Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Are RBK14 Satelites compatible with older RBR50 Routers?

RebelDad
Star

Are RBK14 Satelites compatible with older RBR50 Routers?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
RebelDad
Star

Actually I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I should have stated that originally.

I came scross a great deal at a large national electronics retailer and got the entire 4 piece system (RBK14-100NAS) for $100

I figured since it was an Orbi, I could use the 3 satelites with my existing system but I couldn't get it to pair.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@RebelDad wrote:

That is a GREAT question.  On Amazon, one RBS10 retails for $80US, and the next least expensive retail for $150 or $180.  The 5G radio on this unit appears to be shared between users and "backhaul", so it is not going to have the same maximum theoretical throughput as the more expensive units.  And, it has no ethernet ports, either for backhaul or user devices.  Honestly, my first thought is, "why not?"

$80 is over my threshold for buying things "just to have fun with", so I eagerly await a report from anyone who has tried to connect one to an existing Orbi router.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The 1 series is only a two radio system, 866 on 5Ghz and 400Mpbs on 2.4Ghz. While the 5 series is a 3 radio system. 2 radios for user front haul traffic and 1 non user 5Ghz radio for backhaul traffic. 

If the backhaul on the 1 series is a shared channel on 5Ghz, this may cause some performance issues seen on the 50 series systems 5Ghz user fronthaul. The 1 series probably won't be connected to the dedicated 5Ghz backhaul on the 50 series...Just thinking here.

Message 3 of 10
RebelDad
Star

Actually I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I should have stated that originally.

I came scross a great deal at a large national electronics retailer and got the entire 4 piece system (RBK14-100NAS) for $100

I figured since it was an Orbi, I could use the 3 satelites with my existing system but I couldn't get it to pair.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know it doesn't work. Now we know. 

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@RebelDad wrote:

Did you try the steps on page 127 of the User Manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK12/RBK12_13_14_UM_EN.pdf 

On my Orbi, there is a selection on the web interface Home Page called "Add a Satellite".  Perhaps that method might work?

Message 6 of 10
RebelDad
Star

Well it didn't work for me but I'm hardly a network engineer. I used the Orbi app several times using the "Add a Satelite" option but no luck.

Message 7 of 10
RebelDad
Star

Thanks. Yes I tried doing that through the app but no luck. Figured I'd ask to see if someone with better tech skills than me could make it work.

I'm guessing the lack of radios is the reason why not.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Just wondering:

• Will the satellite sync with the RBR10 base unit (router)?
    There is no harm in connecting the "Internet" port on the router to one of the Orbi RBR50 LAN ports.
    The RBR10 router should turn on and get an IP address from the RBR50 router.
    On the LAN side, the RBR10 should create a different private IP space, probably 10.0.0.x
    In other words, what they sold you can be shown to "work" as it should.
  • What happens if you do a "Factory Reset" on one of the satellites and then try to sync it with the RBR50 system?

Message 9 of 10
RebelDad
Star

I don't know if the RBK14 satelite will sync with the router it came with. I only tried to sync it to my existing system (RBR50) and it wouldn't work. Tried doing a hard reset on the satelite and it didn't work either.

No biggie. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7