Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Are issues w/ Orbi mainly for those using Router mode or AP mode?

coptechs
Tutor

Are issues w/ Orbi mainly for those using Router mode or AP mode?

I am using my Orbi in AP mode (mainly because I have Verizon FiOS and have to use their router). I am happy to say I have had few issues. My SAT has been up for 18 days (since I last intentionally rebooted) and my RBR40 for 6 days (I did have an issue then wherein I could not connect to the GUI via my PC, but the system was still up and running; the reboot resolved it)

I do have the issue where the devices all show up connected to the RBR40 and none show on the RBS even though I know for a fact devices are connected to it.

I've been following many of the reports of horrible issues and am afraid to update my firmware (I'm on 2.1.1.12).

I'm wondering if most of these issues are occurring to those using the Orbi in router mode or are folks using it in AP mode also having all these reboots and connection issues? It'd be great if you could post your mode and a single sentence or two on your experience below.

For example:

AP mode - no problems

AP mode - frequent disconnects

Router mode - reboots

etc. 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
allroadusa
Guide

Hi,

AP Mode running 2.0.074 then 2.1.1.16 then Beta 2.1.2.10

No disconnect.

Some morning reboots because of Oneplus 5T running Android 7.1.1 with December patch

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 2 of 11
tagteam
Virtuoso

Router mode - no problems.

Currently running 2.1.1.16 (17 days uptime) that was updated from 2.0.0.74 (48 days uptime) that, in turn, was auto-updated from 1.4.x

[no Android devices, FWIW]

Message 3 of 11
BobDuke
Apprentice

Router mode - no issues. 

Message 4 of 11
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's not router vs AP mode. I've seen complaints from both sets of users. Also I've seen users who have had issues setting it up as a router then switched to AP mode and still have the same issues. So no.

Message 5 of 11
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have been running router mode since getting the Orbi 4 months ago and have had very few actual issues, and none that I could not find a workaround for.

Message 6 of 11
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

The Orbi Traffic Meter does not work in AP mode.  I'm not sure what else doesn't work in AP mode.  Guess I should search the forum.

If I don't put my Comcast gateway in bridge mode, I have to put my Orbi in AP mode.

If I DO put my gateway in Bridge mode, I MUST remember to put my Orbi in Router mode.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Router mode - running since Nov17.

Few reboots.  Currently using FW 2.0.14 (?)

The way Verizon requires you to use their router is one reason I would never go with Verizon.

The one thing I learned in this forum is the many different ways folks run their home networks.  It's no wonder folks like Netgear have a hard time keeping everyone happy.

Good luck to all

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Users should know that if they have a ISP modem.router in front of any NG router, and if they want to use the NG router as a router, please look into using the ISP modems DMZ feature for the NG router if you want to run it in router mode. The DMZ on the modem will help with having a double NAT condition while having two routers on the same line and works with downstream routers. DMZ is a good option for this kind of configuration.

Message 9 of 11
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

I'm not sure what IP addresses I should use:DMZ.jpg

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a router in front of the Orbi router, then you may see 192 or 172 or 10 IP addresses.

You can use one of these however the 3rd number may conflice with the first router, i.e. 192.168.1.1 or .0.1. So you can use 192.168.2.1 if you use the Orbi router in router mode. Walking the setup wizard will and should auto detect if there is a router in front of the Orbi router and change to a different IP address string that differs from the 1st router.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7