Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Are there any hardware diagnostics for Orbi (RBK50)

KraftyInSeattle
Aspirant

Are there any hardware diagnostics for Orbi (RBK50)

I've been having ongoing problems for a little over a week with my RBK50  with two satellites after owning them for over a year and a half with no problems. I tried various firmware (including beta 2.2.0.66 and 2.0.x.x), factory rests (base and satellites), and various suggestions in the forms listing similar problems with the latest firmware, 2.1.4.16. I don't have a complicated setup. I use the satellites as wireless bridges for where running ethernet cable doesn't make sense. I use the wireless backhaul and also make MAC Address reservations via the built-in DHCP server. I use strong passwords for administration, main and guest Wi-Fi, but otherwise, I leave the defaults. I'm experiencing spontaneous reboots (3 minutes to several hours between reboots), Wi-Fi radios randomly turning themselves off (as shown in the admin web interface with nothing in the logs to explain), extremely slow wireless speed when within 5 feet of Orbi base (5GHz listed in Orbi admin web page; typically 5to 15% of normal), and randomly dropping all wireless and wired connections (required a power cycle). These problems are occurring even when I unplug the ethernet cable for the WAN port. Unfortunately, the logs are cleared on reboot and then have nothing useful.

I would really like to know if have faulty hardware (and replacing would solve these frustrating problems) or if it's a major firmware bug.

Are there any hardware diagnostics for Orbi (RBK50) which I can run to determine if there is a hardware problem?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Not much diagostics on Orbi systems.

There is a ruterIP/debug.htm page...

When you upgrade FW or Downgraded, did you also include a factory reset of the router and set up from scratch? Others reported that this has help them...

Message 2 of 8
KraftyInSeattle
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

No modem. It's ethernet (Cat 5e) to my condo, which has fiber Internet to the building and Cat 5e cabling to each unit). Also, problems still exist without a network cable connected to the LAN port, therefore that's not the source of the problem.

Square feet is about 765 and distance is about 12 feet and 22 feet.

Channels have been auto until I had problems and then I tried I believe channel 6 on 2.4 GHz. I also tried different 5 GHz channels, but the same problems.

On average I can see 30 wireless networks and occupational 40-50 wireless network. I live in a densely populated area of Seattle. This has been that way since before I purchased my Orbi and wasn't a problem for more than a year and a half.

With firmware 2.1.4.16 and 2.2.0.66 (beta), I did try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6, and Set 20/40 Mhz Coexistence to 40 Mhz, but still had the same problems.

I did look at the debug.htm page, but there isn't much there.

I did factory resets (base and satellites) with firmware 2.1.4.16 and 2.2.0.66 (beta) and setup from scratch (different IP address range, Wi-Fi network names, and admin password), but same problems.

Since I've performed all the troubleshooting you recommended and I saw in other forum posts, I highly suspect either a hardware problem or major firmware bug. That's why a wanted hardware diagnostics to help narrow down the problem. I'm thinking of purchasing a new system from Costco. If it works then recycle the old one and if it doesn't work then return to Costco.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok for that size of home, lets turn OFF ALL satellites. You maybe running into a wifi over lap issue. The current distance is too close.

The router alone can cover up to 30 feet and beyond by itself.

Try the router alone.

The other problem is that you maybe in a wifi congested area. Having that many other wifi neighbors, the router maybe experiencing interferences. You can try this, lower the power out put of the radios from 100% to try 50% with the router alone. This will make the broadcast foot print smaller and help with nieghboring wifi...Try any channel 1, 6 or 11 and any on 5ghz. See if this might help. Let us know the results...

Message 4 of 8
KraftyInSeattle
Aspirant

After trying all suggestions (including reducing the power put out by the radios), it was initially still rebooting numerous times per hour. The interval between spontaneous rebooting slowly increase over a few days and stabilized to about twice a day. Everything else appears to back to normal. This isn't ideal, but liveable for the time being. If this was a new product then I would have returned. Netgear does provide me any confidence with purchasing their products in the future.

If Orbi continues to have problems then I'll consider a different product that just works.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and ask for an RMA. Could be that you have a bad system is all.

@Christian_R

Message 6 of 8
KraftyInSeattle
Aspirant

I've owned it for over a year and a half and I believe Netgear products, including Orbi, have only a one-year warranty and 90-days of support. Therefore I'm outside of the RMA window.

Message 7 of 8
cyberprashant
Luminary

do u have stability if you don't attach any ethernet cables (for bridging) to the satellites? I think netgear is still sorting out issues iwth the ethernet ports on orbi. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7