Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Are there any ideal Netgear Orbi settings for streaming 4K content over Wifi?

ryanpc
Guide

Are there any ideal Netgear Orbi settings for streaming 4K content over Wifi?

Plex and the like seem to be choking on any 4K/HDR content I throw at it. Assuming it's not the system (new Mac mini with fastest cpu) or the client (4K AppleTV), I'm wondering if something about my configuration is off. Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Are there any ideal Netgear Orbi settings for streaming 4K content over Wifi?

The following Orbi settings can affect you maximum throughput:

- WMM, a QoS setting which gives priority to media packets.

- MU-MiMO: allowing multi spatial stream sending/receiving for devices that support MU-MIMO

- Implicit Beamforming, which allows much better data transmissions boost in the mid-long range device setups.

- If you can wire devices to Orbi then this will for sure give you better bandwidth.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Re: Are there any ideal Netgear Orbi settings for streaming 4K content over Wifi?

The following Orbi settings can affect you maximum throughput:

- WMM, a QoS setting which gives priority to media packets.

- MU-MiMO: allowing multi spatial stream sending/receiving for devices that support MU-MIMO

- Implicit Beamforming, which allows much better data transmissions boost in the mid-long range device setups.

- If you can wire devices to Orbi then this will for sure give you better bandwidth.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

4K/HDR data bandwidth depending upon compresson, can be very high compared to 1080p. Current wifi standard may not be fully supporting of these kinds of bandwidths seen in 4K data streams. http://www.grouponenw.com/need-know-4k-hdmi-bandwidth/

Can you test with the PC connected via LAN cable and stream from your video sources? 

Do you see any difference with streaming any 1080p video streams? 

@ryanpc wrote:

Plex and the like seem to be choking on any 4K/HDR content I throw at it. Assuming it's not the system (new Mac mini with fastest cpu) or the client (4K AppleTV), I'm wondering if something about my configuration is off. Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
ryanpc
Guide

Awesome. #1 was enabled already. Enabled 2 and 3. Will test shortly 🙂 

Message 4 of 12
ryanpc
Guide

Anything 1080 plays back fine (directplay, no transcoding/compression). I will test over wired in a bit. Thanks for the tips!

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

If 1080p plays fine and 4K doesn't, this maybe a bandwidth issue with 4K and wireless. 

Message 6 of 12
ryanpc
Guide

Definitely. I really apprecaite the help.

After enabling

The 4K content immediately started working and has been working smoothly ever since. Fingers crossed 🙂

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to know. Hope this helps. MIMO would be benefictial in this case if also your streaming devices supported MIMO. 

Keep us posted. 

Message 8 of 12
ryanpc
Guide

The AppleTV does in fact support MIMO for what its worth

Message 9 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@ryanpc wrote:

Definitely. I really apprecaite the help.

After enabling

The 4K content immediately started working and has been working smoothly ever since. Fingers crossed 🙂

Glad that this helped. Hope all will keep working well!

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to know. Something you can check with the Mfr of your devices to see what is and isn't MIMO supporting. 

Sounds like you have a working system now. 

Mark this thread solved when you feel it's ready.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@ryanpc wrote:

The AppleTV does in fact support MIMO for what its worth

Of course it should. 4K won't work without MU-MIMO

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7