Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Arlo Q Streaming Issues with Orbi RBK50

dariesng
Aspirant

Arlo Q Streaming Issues with Orbi RBK50

I recently replaced my old router with the Orbi RBK50 and all my devices (phones, laptops, TVs) work fine and have seen the benefit of faster speed except for my Arlo Q Camera.  (Windows 10)

The Arlo Q can be connected to the router but it takes longer than usual to connect to the live feed and the streaming is lagging and some times would not steam at all. I have restarted Arlo Q, reset it, reconnect it to the router and the same issues happen again and again. 

I think the issues is to do with ORBI as the camera previously worked fine before the old router was replaced with ORBI.

Would appreciate some help here! thank you

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
ekhalil
Master

I would guess that the camera is far away from Orbi and that's why it selects the 2.4 GHz band. Have you checked in connected devices if it connects to the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?

- One way to force the camera to choose the 5 GHz band is to reduce the transmission power of the 2.4 GHz band, can you please try that?

- Otherwise please make sure Implicit Beamforming is enabled which will boost wifi speed and range.

Message 2 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

I would guess that the camera is far away from Orbi and that's why it selects the 2.4 GHz band. Have you checked in connected devices if it connects to the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?

- One way to force the camera to choose the 5 GHz band is to reduce the transmission power of the 2.4 GHz band, can you please try that?

- Otherwise please make sure Implicit Beamforming is enabled which will boost wifi speed and range.

Also it seems that Arlo Q has N600 wifi which means that it supports MIMO. Please make sure that MU-MIMO is enabled in the advanced wireless settings.

Namnlöst.png

I'd start by testing the Beamforming and MU-MIMO first and then go to test the Tx power reduction.

Good luck

Message 3 of 12
dariesng
Aspirant

Test reply

Message 4 of 12
dariesng
Aspirant

Hi there thank you for your advice. I followed your advice and unfortunately it is still the same. My Arlo Q is placed right next to the ORBI router and it's connected via a 5Ghz channel. 

One thing I did try was to lower the video quality for streaming for Arlo and the streaming works smoothly at 240p and 360p. Anything higher would result a lag streaming images. This is disappointing as I always stream at 1080p with my old router and it has no issues. 

FYI, I am on 100/50Mbps plan and would consistently get over 90/30Mbps (down/uploads). 

Do you have other suggestions? 

Thank you

Message 5 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@dariesng wrote:

One thing I did try was to lower the video quality for streaming for Arlo and the streaming works smoothly at 240p and 360p. Anything higher would result a lag streaming images. This is disappointing as I always stream at 1080p with my old router and it has no issues. 

1) This is an indication of bad throughput or packet latency:

- WMM is active by default, but please check that it's ticked for the 2 bands as below:

Namnlöst.png

2) My speaker which is just on the back of the router selects always the 2.4 GHz band probably since it's too close. Let's try -for test purpose only- to force your camera to the 2.4 GHz band and see how it behaves, please try the power reduction on the 5GHz instead and then power recycle the camera hoping that it will select the 2.4 GHz band now. 🙂

Message 6 of 12
dariesng
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your help - unfortunately the camera keeps selecting 5Ghz even though I have tried moving it away and reduce the power.

😞

Message 7 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@dariesng wrote:

Thank you so much for your help - unfortunately the camera keeps selecting 5Ghz even though I have tried moving it away and reduce the power.

😞

- What 5GHz channel are you using? Can you please try the other channels. It can be that you have much interference on one or more of the 5GHz channels.

- How much speed can you measure from other devices in the surrounding of the camera when connected to the same channel on the 5GHz band?

- Please confirm that you have MU-MIMO and Beamforming are enabled.

Message 8 of 12
dariesng
Aspirant

Hi Ekhalil

How do I tell what 5Ghz channel that the camera is using? I thought it's just one 5Ghz channel? 

Other devices are working fine I can get 90+ Mbps from speedtest and no issues streaming Netflix, youtube and the like. 

Message 9 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@dariesng wrote:

How do I tell what 5Ghz channel that the camera is using? I thought it's just one 5Ghz channel? 

I meant selecting different 5 GHz channels in the wireless settings. It can be that you have interference on certain frequencies, please see below:

Namnlöst.png

Message 10 of 12
dariesng
Aspirant

Hi I have just tried cycling through different channel for 5Ghz and reset the Arlo cam but still the same bad streaming beyond 360p :(. I am contacting Netgeat support to see what they can do

Thank you

Message 11 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@dariesng wrote:

Hi I have just tried cycling through different channel for 5Ghz and reset the Arlo cam but still the same bad streaming beyond 360p :(. I am contacting Netgeat support to see what they can do

Thank you

Have you also thought that the limitation can actually be on the connection between your phone (or where you see the streaming) and Orbi and not at all by the camera?

Can you please try streaming from another device.... 🙂

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7