Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Arlo and Orbi

SteveDupuis
Aspirant

Arlo and Orbi

I currrently have (5) Arlo cameras outside my house and they work good, although a couple of them have weak signal.  I want to add 2 - 3 more cameras.  If I get the Orbi system and place the satellites at both ends of my house, can I connect the cameras to the satellite for good reception?

My wifi router is directly in the center of my house.  I'm confused as if that will work or if the cameras have to connect to the Arlo base, which is also in the center of the house.  I suppose if that's the case, the Orbi wouldn't help?!?!

I have the regular Arlo cameras, not the new Pro versions.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
loomis1975
Luminary

I only have the Pros and they only communicate with the base station.  I think the regular Arlos you have only communicate with the base station as well.  In that case, having Orbi won't help out since the cameras only talk to the base station.  There are Wi-Fi Arlos, but I don't have any experience or knowledge with them, or how they would integrate into your current system.

But your home is ideal for Orbi and 2 satellites, since you can place the Orbi in the middle of the house.  That is, if you need better Wi-Fi, and your house is big enough to need the Orbi and 2 satellites.

Message 2 of 7
SteveDupuis
Aspirant

That's what I was afraid of, so here's another possible scenario.

I actually have (2) Arlo base stations, but only currently using (1) of them.  All (5) of my cameras are sync'ed with the (1) base station.

I wonder if the following would work.

1. Hard wire Orbi base on my modem in the middle of the house
  2. Position both Orbi satellites to either end of the house
  3. Hard wire both Arlo base stations to each Orbi satellites
  4. Sync (3) cameras to (1) base stations
  5. Sync other cameras to the other bse stations

I suppose if a system can work off (2) base stations, this scenario would work as both base stations would be much closer to the set of cameras they would be sync'ed with.

Makes sense?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 7
loomis1975
Luminary

That sounds like it would work.  You could either make a seperate account for each base station or make sure you have the elite subscription so you can have more than one base station on your account.  I'm not sure if having seperate accounts for each base station, but being on the same IP address to the internet causes any issues or not.  I still have the basic free subscription for Arlo Pro.

As the base station to Orbi ethernet connection, I would seperate them by at least 6 to 8 feet or so.  Orbi's seem pretty good at stomping over other wifi signals in their immediate vicinity, although I've heard and seen that the arlo base station chooses the same channel as the wifi router/satellite it is near, and it seems to work fine.  I just don't take the chance with the physical distance being a factor.

How far will you be able to put the satellites from the central router distance-wise?  Too close and it could cause communications issues.  Of course the more walls in the way, the closer you can put them.

Message 4 of 7
SteveDupuis
Aspirant

Satellites would be about 50ft and 75ft line of sight from the main unit, although there's several walls and such in between.  I feel that would be fine.  I'm going to try my set-up and see what happens.  This is our lakehouse in MN.  It's a 4,000 sq ft house with 2,000 on main floor and finished 2,000 walk-out basement.  Main Orbi will be in the middle of the top floor, with (1) satellite being in the far corner of the basement (75 '?) and other bring in the garage (50'?).

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
loomis1975
Luminary

Costco Member?  RBK53 pack there with the two satellites you need, great return policy if things don't work out.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 7
SteveDupuis
Aspirant

Got my system working great.  Here's what I did, maybe it will help others.

I bought the Orbi RBK53 T CostCo.

Main Receiver is mounted at the center of our house, on the first (top) floor.  As a point of reference, we have a 4,000 sq ft home.  2,000 on top floor and 2,000 walkout basement.

Mounted (1) satellite in a bedroom at one extreme ocrner of the house, on the lower floor.  I have a Arlo base station hardwired into the satellite and (2) cameras mounted outside paired with this base station.  Reception is 100%.

I have the other satellite mounted in the garage, which is at the opposite end of the house from the 1st satellite.  I have another Arlo base station hardwired into that satellite and (3) cameras paired with it.  Reception is 100%.

Everything is working flawlessly and I had no issues during install.  Strong wifi all the way to dock, which is about 125 ft from the satellitle mounted in the downstair bedroom.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7