Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Armor on Orbi questions (activation issues and another question)

AP mode generally disables various features.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That's for Netgear devices rather than Orbi.

Message 26 of 63
Joboo7777
Apprentice

I did some research within this community but cannot seem to find alot of reviews/opinions on the Armor services

Does anyone following this thread have any experience with Armor? I'm coming from the ASUS ecosystem and looks to be very simliair to their AiProtection(ie Trend Micro) implementation which comes free of charge with the router purchase. Just trying to justify paying 69usd annually for something that many vendors provide for free. Am I missing some addtional capability that separates armor's subscription from other products? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 27 of 63
evil_mike
Apprentice

Keep in mind the $69 fee also includes endpoint protection for all your devices.

As for reviews, Google “BitDefender Box 2 review” if you’d like to see what folks think of the tech; from the quick perusing I did, the general consensus is very positive.

From what I understand, Armor uses the same code base as Box 2; from the initial press release:

“Following our strategic partnership with NETGEAR, Bitdefender will extend industry-leading, state-of-the-art IoT security capabilities to both partners and customers worldwide”, said Bitdefender’s vice president of Consumer Solutions, Ciprian Istrate. “The innovative technologies in Bitdefender BOX 2 are available for integration with network operators, network equipment manufacturers and any similar organization that wants to differentiate their products and services, and generate additional revenue from value-added security for their customers.”
Message 28 of 63
LadySapphy
Guide

So I updated the firmware just for this, but everytime I try to enable it I get "device off-line".  I have waited days and still the same thing.  I really want to avoid a factory reset to be able to use this feature.  Anyone else found a "fix"?

Message 29 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

@LadySapphy wrote:

So I updated the firmware just for this, but everytime I try to enable it I get "device off-line".  I have waited days and still the same thing.  I really want to avoid a factory reset to be able to use this feature.  Anyone else found a "fix"?

Message 30 of 63
evil_mike
Apprentice

The only fix I found was a factory reset. To be honest, it was less painful than I thought it would be; just make sure to back up your Circle in the Circle app if you use it for parental controls.

Message 31 of 63

@LadySapphy wrote:

I really want to avoid a factory reset to be able to use this feature. 

As @evil_mike says, that is often the solution. It may well be "the fix".

To ease the pain, save the settings in a backup. The reset the device.

When you have done enough to get back in business, see if you can get Armor to work. If so, reconfigure your router.It can help to take screen grabs to save your settings in a readable form.

If not, you can restore the settings because the issue clearly isn't related to issues with the old settings.

Message 32 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, Netgear is a dedicated forum for Armor. I would post any questions and issues here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Message 33 of 63
faizankhan85
Aspirant

thanks - posted in the forum link you provided.

i am also getting the same error.

Message 34 of 63
tgltgl
Star

My issue activating Armor was fixed by most recent update of Orbi app on my android phone. After this app was updated I was able to activate Armore on my Orbi (90 day trial for now). Of course I immediately got notification prompting me to buy it but we'll see about that - I still want to figure out what this service is even doing (and will monitor my network performance for a while first to see if this has any negative impact on speed etc). By the way, at least some visibility to this service is available via https://armor.netgear.com where you can allow access to your router and then get some idea/confirmation at least regarding what it thinks is secured etc.

Message 35 of 63
faizankhan85
Aspirant

thank you  - i have the latest version of the orbi app and still have this issue.

also, in regards to the armor.netgear.com link, it says that i have no assosiated routers when i login?

Message 36 of 63
tgltgl
Star

@faizankhan85 wrote:

thank you  - i have the latest version of the orbi app and still have this issue.

also, in regards to the armor.netgear.com link, it says that i have no assosiated routers when i login?

Sorry, no idea why you still can't activate (I'm very new to Orbi and Armor). My guess regarding your other question is that once you manage to activate the router then you should see it at armor.netgear.com (there must be some dependency between those steps - nothing else would make sense).

Message 37 of 63
faizankhan85
Aspirant

i remember today when i first tried to activate it, it was going through the appropriate steps but then stopped, after restarting everything i keep getting the device is offline comment.

i hope someone from netgear can assist.

Message 38 of 63

@faizankhan85 wrote:

If you login to mynetgear, can you see your router there?

MyNETGEAR | Login

Many of these add-on services and features depend on having the hardware registered there.

Message 39 of 63
faizankhan85
Aspirant

hi thanks

yes its already registered - just checked again with the link you kindly provided.

Message 40 of 63
LadySapphy
Guide

Ok update on this. Such a happy netgear customer (not).   So I tried turning off Circle, and turning on Armor, but that did not help. I tried a basic reboot, that did not help. So I turned cicle back on and was back to where I had started.  I went and took a shower.  By the time I got out of the shower, the family was planning my demise as the network was down.  I pick up my phone and our WiFi was gone, replaced with the defult orbi wifi and not handing out IPs.  I had to do a factory reset to get ip up and running again.  But hey armor turned on after that. 

Message 41 of 63
faizankhan85
Aspirant

dear all

i can confirm that i too have done the factory reset, and this seems to now activated the orbi armor setup process.

Message 42 of 63
evil_mike
Apprentice

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the factory reset is the solution for this issue at this point.  Annoying, but at least we have the answer.

Message 43 of 63
faizankhan85
Aspirant

unfortunately i think you are right!

Message 44 of 63
tgltgl
Star

I was affraid of having to deal with

@evil_mike wrote:

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the factory reset is the solution for this issue at this point.  Annoying, but at least we have the answer.

I was affraid I was going to have to do that as well but at least in my case it endedup up not being necessary. Just updating the Android Orbi app 'fixed' the Armor activation issue for me (I did not touch the settings or firmware on either router or satelite and it activated via the updated app - but I did recently manually update the firmware to the latest, after which the Armor activation still did not work).

Message 45 of 63
martinhj
Apprentice

I have just updated my Orbi to the new firmware and when I try and activate Armour using the ios app I get "Error Invalid input,Please login again" when it tries to activate the acocunt. Any ideas?

IMG_2280.PNG

Message 46 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Armor forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

@martinhj wrote:

I have just updated my Orbi to the new firmware and when I try and activate Armour using the ios app I get "Error Invalid input,Please login again" when it tries to activate the acocunt. Any ideas?

IMG_2280.PNG

Message 47 of 63
martinhj
Apprentice

Well I posted on tha Armor forum and got no replies either...Guess I will never be using Armor on my Orbi!!!!!

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 48 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully one of the forum moderators can help. 

@martinhj wrote:

Well I posted on tha Armor forum and got no replies either...Guess I will never be using Armor on my Orbi!!!!!

Message 49 of 63
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @martinhj

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Was this working prior the firmware update? Please PM me your email address and device serial number. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 50 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7