Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Assign device with IP to single Satellite

crazycoconut
Initiate

Assign device with IP to single Satellite

Hi,

We have a model RBR40 but this question is to ask if our idea is somehow feasible. We have 4 Orbi satellites hooked to the Orbi router in different locations. We have IP cameras that are connected to the network. Each IP camera is hooked to the closest satellite. However, sometimes the signal strength drops and the satellite has to reconnect. When this happens the IP camera can connect to the next closest satellite. When the satellite comes back online the camera IP doesn't change back because it's connected with a weak signal. My question is, is there a way to either assign a device with a certain IP or MAC address to a particular satellite or set a satellite to ignore/block a device with a certain IP or MAC address?
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Assign device with IP to single Satellite

No. Set up a IP address reservation for your devices ON the RBR. Use a web browser and connect to the RBRs web page. Set a IP address reservation for your devices under Advanced tab/Setup/LAN setup.

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I'ts up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. You may need to adjust the RBS placement. When the Signal drops at a RBS, once it comes back, you will need to reboot the device to get it to re-connect to the closer RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Set up a IP address reservation for your devices ON the RBR. Use a web browser and connect to the RBRs web page. Set a IP address reservation for your devices under Advanced tab/Setup/LAN setup.

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I'ts up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. You may need to adjust the RBS placement. When the Signal drops at a RBS, once it comes back, you will need to reboot the device to get it to re-connect to the closer RBS. 

Message 2 of 4
crazycoconut
Initiate

FURRYe38,

I thought that the same thing. Thank you for the confirmation and additional advice and resources. I will look into the reboot idea for the actual device. Hope you have a great day.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements