Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Assigned a Static IP - now dropping access daily

carladj
Aspirant

Assigned a Static IP - now dropping access daily

Our Orbi RBR50 was working great. However, I needed a static IP address for work. Once I got the settings from the ISP, I updated the settings with the app.

Having done that, now the router loses internet access every morning and must be rebooted. And when I check the IP address with whatsmyip.org it doesn't show the static IP I need to use. And I can't access what I need to for work (403 error). I had some problems with the set up using the MAC address of my computer not the router. Now it is using the default MAC address, which is differs from that listed on the router by the last letter. 

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can access my static IP and not have to reboot every morning? 

• Should I perform a factory reset? 
  • Should try resetting the router settings using the app walk-through? 

Orbi RBR50 with 1 satellite

Firmaware: 2.5.1.8

Mac OS 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you setting the Static IP address ON the RBR on the Internet settings page or leaving the RBR set for DHCP to get the IP address from the ISP? 

If you haven't reset the RBR since the last update, one maybe needed. I would use a wired PC and web browser to walk thru the setup wizard with the RBR. 

@carladj wrote:

Our Orbi RBR50 was working great. However, I needed a static IP address for work. Once I got the settings from the ISP, I updated the settings with the app.

Having done that, now the router loses internet access every morning and must be rebooted. And when I check the IP address with whatsmyip.org it doesn't show the static IP I need to use. And I can't access what I need to for work (403 error). I had some problems with the set up using the MAC address of my computer not the router. Now it is using the default MAC address, which is differs from that listed on the router by the last letter. 

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can access my static IP and not have to reboot every morning? 

• Should I perform a factory reset? 
  • Should try resetting the router settings using the app walk-through? 

Orbi RBR50 with 1 satellite

Firmaware: 2.5.1.8

Mac OS 

Message 2 of 18
carladj
Aspirant

Hi,

Modem from ISP: CTC managed gigabit ethernet switch GSW-1005ms+ct002

I set the static IP on the internet page. 

I have reset (updated settings) and rebooted many times since getting the static IP. 

Are you suggesting I use the setup wizard walkthrough?

Thank you!

Carla

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, try the reset and walk thru the setup wizard. This time, don't set the static on the RBR, let the wizard configure the RBR. Then check the RBR for operation to see if the internet still drops or not. 

Message 4 of 18
carladj
Aspirant

I have done 2 factory resets and I can now see the Static IP info in the router. However there is still no internet. I’m on the phone paying for support now.

Thank you
C
Message 5 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

It is not clear (to me) how a "static IP" from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) actually works.  I have a sense, however, that the ISP must maintain a table of MAC addresses with corresponding IP addresses.  In "network talk", the ISP knows which MAC address a packet comes from.  I would even venture to say that as far as the ISP is concerned, the customer should not have to quite using DHCP to have an IP address "that never changes." 

How about calling the ISP and asking them directly, "What MAC address do you have associated with my Static IP address?" and "Am I supposed to SET this IP address on my equipment, or am I supposed to continue using DHCP and can be confident that the IP address I get will never change?"

Message 6 of 18
carladj
Aspirant

I have called my ISP 4 times. Everything looks good on their end.

I had a 2 hour call with Netgear support that ended with the CSR admitting they could not help me. They recommended I call the ISP and ask for a new modem. My modem from the ISP is 2 months old and their most up-to-date fiber modem. 

If I want to use the static IP I need to change the settings on the modem to manually add the static IP information and then I may get internet for the rest of the day. Or maybe not. 

I'll likely replace the Orbi with a different router. Another person anecdotally said that the ORBI is not compatible with fiber and gave hers away...

What a waste of time and money. 

Message 7 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Firmaware: 2.5.1.8.........ouch

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@carladj wrote:

I have called my ISP 4 times. Everything looks good on their end.

When you talked to the ISP, did they say
(a) you are required to set up your router with a "static IP". (That's the only way it will work)  Or
(b) your router can continue to use DHCP and they simply guarantee to give you the same IP every time.

I am too cheap to pay for a static IP, so I'd really like to hear what they tell you.

Message 9 of 18
theoak
Luminary

I get a static IP from my ISP.  While my ORBI is in AP mode, there is nothing special I set on my router, it just gets the static IP from my ISP.  I have CenturyLink DSL.  Your ISP modem/router setup may be different.

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your personal router set for Dynamic IP addressing on the WAN port while your ISP gives you a Static IP address? 

@theoak wrote:

I get a static IP from my ISP.  While my ORBI is in AP mode, there is nothing special I set on my router, it just gets the static IP from my ISP.  I have CenturyLink DSL.  Your ISP modem/router setup may be different.

Message 11 of 18
carladj
Aspirant

Hi,

Require set up with static IP. 

There was no mention of letting DHCP getting the static IP. 

Thanks,

Carla

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your ISP has setup a static IP address for you, then try letting the RBR get the static IP automatically from the ISP. Set Dynamic on the RBR and see if it connects. 

@carladj wrote:

Hi,

Require set up with static IP. 

There was no mention of letting DHCP getting the static IP. 

Thanks,

Carla

Message 13 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@carladj wrote:

Modem from ISP: CTC managed gigabit ethernet switch GSW-1005ms+ct002

I set the static IP on the internet page. 

Just to clarify: the static IP is assigned to the CTC fiber router: https://www.ctcu.com/e-catalog/CE-GSW-1005MS.pdf 

The Orbi is (one of up to four) devices connected to the fiber router.  Anything else connected to it?

The CTC is in router or "bridge" (or "passthrough") mode?

If the CTC is in router mode, then the Orbi should probably be in Access Point (AP) mode.

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

The CTC is a managed switch, not a router:

"GSW-1005MS is a managed Gigabit Ethernet CPE switch"

Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The CTC is a managed switch, not a router:

"GSW-1005MS is a managed Gigabit Ethernet CPE switch"

Yes, indeed, managed up the wazoo!  I find the diagram on page two confusing.  What sort of "switch" has ethernet ports that can go to routers, IP cameras, televisions, IP phones?  This is the first time I've come across "DHCP snooping/relay option 82".

Message 16 of 18
theoak
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is your personal router set for Dynamic IP addressing on the WAN port while your ISP gives you a Static IP address? 

@theoak wrote:

Dynamic.  However, my ISP always gives me the same IP.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What I'm hoping that the OP can do as well. 

@theoak wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@theoak wrote:

Dynamic.  However, my ISP always gives me the same IP.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7