Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

At the end of my rope with my Orbi

sfjames
Guide

At the end of my rope with my Orbi

Have been working with support to no avail. It goes like this. Orbi directly connected to my modem fills it log files with 

DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: xx.14.79.65, Monday, January 23, 2017 17:38:27
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: xxx.101.40.116, port 443, Monday, January 23, 2017 17:38:27

put my old 7000 in between and nothing in its log files or the 7000

cable company has given up giving me new ip addresses tried 2 versions of the modem nothing. 7000 works fine alone but wifi never made it to rest of the house. I could run orbi in ap mode that works but i just cant figure out what is wrong. any suggestions? Clearly not a network engineer here, 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
MarkC1024
Luminary

Re: At the end of my rope with my Orbi

I disabled the logging of those issues and just keep track of the system related ones.  If it's rejecting attempts, it's working as it should.

Message 2 of 11
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

You are worrying about some DoS/ARP Attack warning logs in your router? that's completely usual these days, almost everyone gets those every once in a while, I would worry if my router never warned me about those, does it bother you to see the logs? disable logs then, your Obi is doing exactly what it is supposed and designed to do.

Message 3 of 11
sfjames
Guide

Thanks for all your comments. While at the highest level I get it and thats what support is yackign about I would like it to make sense and I guess its just never goiing to. Let me be clear when my 7000 is the router alone with my modem and everything is connected exact.ly the smae way nothing in the log files for attacks. When you connect orbi it is attacked hundreds of times per hour all day long which does seem at times to effect performance. When you pur the orbi behind the 7000 again nothing in the 7000 or the orbi log files.  IT doesnt make sense all things being equal. As I mentioned tried new ip addresses etc my casble company has been very accomodating in trying to help but has given up. They were concerned becasue all teh attacks appear spoofed from them thats teh trace on the ip but they say they are nto doing anything.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
sfjames
Guide

Apologies for my quick reply and spelling mistakes!

Message 5 of 11
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

When your 7000 is the router as you say you don't see anything because your 7000 doesn't log DoS attacks, that's the only reason you don't see them, you seem them because it is a feature of your Obi to warn you about DoS attacks, but regardless of whatever the reason is, your Orbi has absolutely nothing to do with any and ALL attacks that might be happening in your network, the attacks will continue regardless of whatever router you have and wether you see them or not.

Message 6 of 11
sfjames
Guide

I resectfully disagree the 7000 does log those attacks as an occasional one does come through so that is not the issue and support confirmed it as well. They are baffled that even though they have different firewall's why the log files would be so different.

Message 7 of 11
sfjames
Guide

Well been contacted for a beta version of firmware see if that does anythign will report back!

Message 8 of 11
MarkC1024
Luminary

Good to hear there is at least a new beta out for testing.  Hope it helps with your issues and keep us informed!

Message 9 of 11
MachineLearner
Apprentice

Any success with the firmware beta?   I am new to Orbi (2 days) and having a similar experience with DoS attacks in the log.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 10 of 11
DukeSilver
Star

This is a netgear firmware logging "feature".  R7800 and Orbi log these events more than any other routers.  R7000 also logs them to a lesser extent.  When I load DD-WRT on my r7800 or Tomato on my r7000 I never see the events even though my IP is the same.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7