Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Attached Devices Sorted by IP Number

CrimpOn
Guru

I cannot believe how slick this is

THANK YOU

Message 26 of 34
randomousity
Luminary

Yeah, but it's a PITA to do manually from the GUI. You have to delete everything, and then re-add them all in the proper order. If you skip one, or get a new device later, you have to repeat the process. It's much simpler to just extract the data, order it how you want, and then upload it again, and now it's in your preferred order. This makes it super easy to fix on the backend, and to reapply if it ever gets assorted. Plus, you're not running any code on the router, so there's little risk of cauing any problems this way. Plus, it's useful for more than just sorting by IP address. And it works across firmware updates.

Message 27 of 34
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

Alternate ideas are always interesting to consider.

Just to clarify, the sort is not done on the router.  Your browser makes a request for current device information table.  That is a low priority request but still runs quickly.  Once that info is returned to the browser, the sort and prep are done on your local machine.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 34
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

@SLK-Purdue wrote:

Got questions about how I get the file into ORBI.  Good question.

I use PuTTY so a copy-and-paste is pretty easy.  Most other Telnet package have some sort of copy-and-paste function

(Updated - sorry vi is automatic for me and I forgot the required ":" to enter command mode.

1. Select and copy the entire file on the workstation

2. Telnet to ORBI and login

3. cd /www

4. vi new.htm

5. o command to get to "add mode"

6. paste file (right mouse click in PuTTY)

7 ESC

9 clean up first and last line if necessary

10 :w

11 :q

Message 29 of 34
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

I have verified this works with new firmware version 2.5.1.32

www dropbox com/s/svqx6020yq0avgh/DEV_show_device.htm?dl=0

Message 30 of 34
Dd852
Luminary

I hope this isn't considered a completely stupid comment but I assume you realize that you can easily see attached devices in ip order on the access control page (advanced>security>access control) this gives status, name, address, mac, connection type. The only thing it lacks is the particular orbi it is attached to. Usefully this page also shows devices sometimes seen but not currently connected. Now since Netgear clearly knows how to do this easily why they don't do it elsewhere is a mystery, but at least it is here and easy to access without a lot of messing with the internals

Message 31 of 34
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

Not a stupid comment at all.   After I did the initial IP sort, I found it handy to actually be able to sort on any field.   I added that in a second update.

Thanks,

Scott

@Dd852 wrote:

I hope this isn't considered a completely stupid comment but I assume you realize that you can easily see attached devices in ip order on the access control page (advanced>security>access control) this gives status, name, address, mac, connection type. The only thing it lacks is the particular orbi it is attached to. Usefully this page also shows devices sometimes seen but not currently connected. Now since Netgear clearly knows how to do this easily why they don't do it elsewhere is a mystery, but at least it is here and easy to access without a lot of messing with the internals

Message 32 of 34
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

My previously posted modification only wirh through v2.5.2.4.  I have made the necessary updates for v2.7.1.60 and am looking for a couple of testers.

Tester much be able to telnet to router (RBR50) and have some Linux experience replacing files.  vi is most likely method although netcat can also work.

If you are running v2.7.1.60 and interested in testing, please DM me.

After a bit more testing, I will most an update for the entire community.

Scott

Message 33 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm not ready to "take the plunge", however I seem to recall when I was doing "copy and paste" from Windows to Orbi that Notepad creates DOS end of line (<cr><lf>) and Orbi (being Linux) wants only <lf>. So I switched to Notepad++ which allows setting the end of line in the correct mode.

Or, maybe the extra blank lines don't matter.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7