Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Attached Devices not correct

gtmead09
Guide

Attached Devices not correct

Running firmware 2.6.1.40 and having issues with the attached device list. Some devices don’t show, I fixed one by manually setting a dhcp reservation, but that is not sustainable. Basically if I browse to the satellite I can see it as a attached device. It has network connectivity as well. I also downgraded from 2.7.1.60 in hopes it would fix it. Reset would be absolute last resort and I am not sure this is big enough to justify. Any suggestions to try?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Attached Devices not correct

oh, geez.  Every time I get ready to "take the plunge" and update firmware, another post appears describing problems with the latest firmware. This is so discouraging.

Message 2 of 14
vajim
Master

Another reason I don't do FW updates unless absolutely necessary.  No need to go looking for trouble.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset to see if this resolves the problem, if not, downgrade to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@gtmead09 wrote:
Running firmware 2.6.1.40 and having issues with the attached device list. Some devices don’t show, I fixed one by manually setting a dhcp reservation, but that is not sustainable. Basically if I browse to the satellite I can see it as a attached device. It has network connectivity as well. I also downgraded from 2.7.1.60 in hopes it would fix it. Reset would be absolute last resort and I am not sure this is big enough to justify. Any suggestions to try?

Message 4 of 14
vajim
Master

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
gtmead09
Guide

So to report back overall, firmware downgrade didn't help. To me a full reset is a lot of under taking that I am not sure I want to do. One interesting item, if I create a DHCP reservation manually by typing in the MAC Address it shows. Then I can remove the reservation and it gets a new DHCP address and still shows. Unfortunately this isn't sustainable since changing these settings causes the full reboot of the router. So guess I am going to live with it until I get a big enough window to full reset. 

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes a reset will be needed. Hopefully you can find a time frame to do this. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 14
sprog1033
Tutor

I had the same issue with missing devices with both firmware 2.5.2.4 and 2.6.1.40. I did not try a factory reset, but when I downgraded to 2.5.1.16 all is well with my orbi again. I am now leaving it on 2.5.1.16.

Message 8 of 14
vajim
Master

Smart move....Not all FW is created equal.  Best to leave them if your network is working.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know v16 works. 

Next FW update you do, and you see a problem, please try a factory reset to see if it clears it. 

@sprog1033 wrote:

I had the same issue with missing devices with both firmware 2.5.2.4 and 2.6.1.40. I did not try a factory reset, but when I downgraded to 2.5.1.16 all is well with my orbi again. I am now leaving it on 2.5.1.16.

Message 10 of 14
vajim
Master

No more manual FW updates are in the plan.

Message 11 of 14
gtmead09
Guide

Another update......

So rebooted both the RBR and RBS. Let them sit for about an hour. Upgrade both to 2.5.2.4 and then downgraded them back to 2.5.1.16. Don't ask me why, but attached devices appears to be working again. It's only been about 24 hrs so I am still holding my breath a little. But hopefully this fixes the problem permamently. If this continues to work, I am staying put on 2.5.1.16.

Message 12 of 14
vajim
Master

It's best once your network is running...LEAVE IT ALONE.

Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 14
gtmead09
Guide

@vajim wrote:

It's best once your network is running...LEAVE IT ALONE.

Smiley Happy

No more unnecessary firmware upgrades......

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7