Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Attached devices in the web ui and in the app appear to be incorrect

Spanky2k
Initiate

Attached devices in the web ui and in the app appear to be incorrect

I set up my new RBK53 and after some teething issues with one of the satellites and some forced firmware updates, everything seems to be going well. One thing I've noticed though is that in the Web UI and in the iPhone app, the attached devices don't seem to display correctly. Firstly, most of them say "Wired" even though they have to be connected through WiFi - my iPhone, iPad and my Nest Thermostats, for example, all say they have a "Wired" connection. Secondly, all but 1 of 21 devices says it is connected to my main Orbi device. My wife's laptop says it's connected to one of the satellites but even my wife's iPhone (which *does* say it has a "5G" connection unlike my phone) says it is connected to my main Orbi device when it is right at the other side of the house from here and a couple of meters away from a satellite.

My two satellites are connected through Ethernet backbone connections to my main Orbi device, in case that makes a difference.

Performance wise, I don't think for a instant that this will make a blind bit of difference, it just strikes me as odd and I wouldn't mind knowing which devices connect to which device, for interest's sake mainly. Could be useful though if I decide to move a satellite to improve coverage when we redecorate our top floor.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
RedBatman89
Guide

Yeah this issue is common now with the latest firmware. Enable Daisy chain to see if that fixes it for a bit. New firmware has quite a bit of bugs in it.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System,RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@Spanky2k wrote:

I set up my new RBK53 and after some teething issues with one of the satellites and some forced firmware updates, everything seems to be going well. One thing I've noticed though is that in the Web UI and in the iPhone app, the attached devices don't seem to display correctly. Firstly, most of them say "Wired" even though they have to be connected through WiFi - my iPhone, iPad and my Nest Thermostats, for example, all say they have a "Wired" connection. Secondly, all but 1 of 21 devices says it is connected to my main Orbi device. My wife's laptop says it's connected to one of the satellites but even my wife's iPhone (which *does* say it has a "5G" connection unlike my phone) says it is connected to my main Orbi device when it is right at the other side of the house from here and a couple of meters away from a satellite.

My two satellites are connected through Ethernet backbone connections to my main Orbi device, in case that makes a difference.

Performance wise, I don't think for a instant that this will make a blind bit of difference, it just strikes me as odd and I wouldn't mind knowing which devices connect to which device, for interest's sake mainly. Could be useful though if I decide to move a satellite to improve coverage when we redecorate our top floor.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@Spanky2k wrote:

the attached devices don't seem to display correctly. Firstly, most of them say "Wired" even though they have to be connected through WiFi - my iPhone, iPad and my Nest Thermostats, for example, all say they have a "Wired" connection.

Do you have any wired devices connected by LAN cables to any of the Satellites?

The following is my observation regarding "wired" iPhones:

I noticed this morning that my log is full of these DHCP messages:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.24] to MAC address 8c:8e:f2:13:bd:87, Thursday, October 11, 2018 07:16:22
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.25] to MAC address 48:4b:aa:2d:52:5d, Thursday, October 11, 2018 07:16:21
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.24] to MAC address 8c:8e:f2:13:bd:87, Thursday, October 11, 2018 07:16:20
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.25] to MAC address 48:4b:aa:2d:52:5d, Thursday, October 11, 2018 07:16:18
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.24] to MAC address 8c:8e:f2:13:bd:87, Thursday, October 11, 2018 07:16:11
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.25] to MAC address 48:4b:aa:2d:52:5d, Thursday, October 11, 2018 07:16:10
:

:

.... and continues for ever!

- Those two IP addresses are for 2 iPhones, when I checked the "Attached Devices" I saw that only those 2 iPhones were listed as "Wired". All other devices looked ok

- The DHCP messages continued to show in the log even if I switch off the phones

- The DHCP messages only stopped when I disconnected the switch which is connected to the Satellite LAN port. To that switch I have a number of devices connected (3 speakers, Apple TV, Dreambox, Samsung Blu Ray, Wii).

- When the DHCP messages stopped, at the same time the iPhones started to show up as "5G" in the "Attached Devices" list.

Do you see similar behavior?

Message 4 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements