Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Attached devices sync to internal DNS

Pierre1256
Initiate

Attached devices sync to internal DNS

Hi,

I have a question concerning the "attached devices" menu.

When I look to the menu, I think that this is the Netbios name, not the DNS name.

Is there a way to automatically get the devices name from my internal DNS server (a Synology) ?

I don't want to have to re-enter all my devices information.

Regards,

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Attached devices sync to internal DNS

There is no chance that the labels in "Attached Devices" come from DNS.  By default, Orbi gets DNS from the Netgear servers.  Some Community members recommend substituting Google DNS (or others).  99% of Netgear's customers have no personal DNS server.

Orbi makes some guesses based on the MAC address about who the manufacturer is and makes a guess as to what "type" of device it is and these guesses are often way off the mark.  (My Sony phone showed up as a "Linux Device.")

There are three variables in the Orbi parameter list which contain the descriptions for device name, device model, and device type.  If you dump your DNS entries to a text file, it is possible to enter them into Orbi via telnet.  There is a Community thread explaining how to do this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset...

(Read all the way to the bottom.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There is no chance that the labels in "Attached Devices" come from DNS.  By default, Orbi gets DNS from the Netgear servers.  Some Community members recommend substituting Google DNS (or others).  99% of Netgear's customers have no personal DNS server.

Orbi makes some guesses based on the MAC address about who the manufacturer is and makes a guess as to what "type" of device it is and these guesses are often way off the mark.  (My Sony phone showed up as a "Linux Device.")

There are three variables in the Orbi parameter list which contain the descriptions for device name, device model, and device type.  If you dump your DNS entries to a text file, it is possible to enter them into Orbi via telnet.  There is a Community thread explaining how to do this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset...

(Read all the way to the bottom.)

Message 2 of 3
Pierre1256
Initiate

Thank you very much !

I find what I was looking for.

Regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies