Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Authentication Error Occurred

Xerical
Initiate

Authentication Error Occurred

My wife and I both have Samsung S6.  Recently received an update to the phone and afterwards it no longer stays connected to Orbi.  My Orbi is on version 2.0.0.74.  I tried rolling back to 1.11.0.20 like some posts suggested but within a 60 seconds it auto-updates its firmware back to the latest.  

Both phones says "Authenication Error Occurred" under the WiFi network.  If I turn off WiFi and back on it will reconnect.  But within 30-60 seconds it disconnects with the error again.  

In addition to firmware I have factory reset the Orbi which didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 71
COfan
Tutor

My wife and I are in the same boat. We both have samsung galaxy S6 phones and received the same update. We too can no longer stay connected to our orbi. Our phones display an authentication error and we must turn Wi-Fi off and back on to re-connect. I have factory reset the phones and reloaded all phone updates yet the problem persists. We have loved our orbi up til now. I would love some help in fixing this problem.
Message 2 of 71
jessaskey
Star

Same for me... after I updated last week on our phones (two Galaxy S6 and one Galaxy S7 - Verizon), none of our phones can keep a solid WiFi signal. Sometimes it disconnects after 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes. Often the phone says 'Authentication Error Occured'. I have also had massive issues using both my Satellite and main Router, so I have take the Satellite offline (powered off) to simplify the situation. I am also running the latest BETA firmware (2.0.0.76). 

The funny part is that  today I have turned the WiFi back on with my ISP router and even tho it sucks, it still works better than the ORBI.

This is completely maddening for a system so expensive.

Message 3 of 71
diodorus
Guide

I have the same issue on a Samsung A5 (but not on a OnePlus 3T),,,

Message 4 of 71

I am in the same boat. I am randomly being forced offmy network by this again and again after updating the S6.

Any netgear folks have hints as to how to debug the logs?
Message 5 of 71

Same here. Pretty aggrevating. Not sure if it's Orbi or Samsung. At this point I wish I would have invested in a Nighthawk instead. Hopefully someone figures a work around or updates the firmware QUICKLY.

Message 6 of 71
COfan
Tutor

Is this a problem with the orbi, the samsung phones, or the combination?
Message 7 of 71
Xerical
Initiate

Combination of both phone and Orbi. As my iPAD and other systems stay connected to Orbi, but my phone can connect to any other wireless without issues as well.

Message 8 of 71
jessaskey
Star

Yes, the issue was preciptated by a phone update, but all my phones are still able to connect to my ISP Router WiFi just fine but they will not hold a connection on the Orbi. So, with all of the other issues I have with the Orbi, it seems that perhaps the Orbi is a bit fragile still. I guess in my line of thinking, that if the phones can hold a connection on the other WiFi just fine, that they should be able to do the same on the Orbi. Additionally, I *have* looked to see if there are any issues after the Verizon update last week and I was not able to find any reports of WiFi issues after the update. 

Im really hoping that maybe this just helps the Netgear folks figure out what is going on with the Orbi. I have removed my Satellite at this point, disabled many of the advanced WiFi features and updated to the latest firmware (2.0.0.76) trying to get stable internet. I had plenty of issues on 2.0.0.74 as well prior to the Verizon update, but this phone update made it all substantially worse.

Also, since this is happening the same way on all 3 phones, the only common hardware here is the Orbi.

Message 9 of 71

YMMV but I set my phone as a static IP mapping in the Orbi settings and it seems to be roaming fine....

Message 10 of 71

I spoke too soon still happening. Super frustrating.
Message 11 of 71
COfan
Tutor

Well since I am still in the return window for my orbi I am considering taking it back. I don't have time to troubleshoot a $400 router for weeks on end. Anybody heard anything about the linksys velop system?
Message 12 of 71

My brother is better at Google than me and found this in about 5 min:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Galaxy-S8-Wifi-Issues/td-p/108952/page/5

Working for me
Message 13 of 71
shminger
Initiate

My wife and I also have two Samsung S6 phones with Verizon.  Some time after the last Samsung update, we can no longer retain connections to our home WiFi via ur Orbi system (1 router, 2 sats).  It's SUPER annoying, after having relative success with Orbi prior...  The message against the SSID in our wireless settings reads "Authetication issue has occurred".  We have no issue connecting to WiFi outside our home (at Starbucks, work, etc.), so it is definitely an issue between our phones and Orbi's system.

Though there is definitely responsibility on Android's part for this issue, it appears that Netgear/Orbi has not done sufficient testing to resolve since this was reported within this community.

While I'm happy with the performance of our system, when working, a lack of support responsiveness would definitely sour me to buying further products from Netgear.

Message 14 of 71
SPaavola
Aspirant

Getting the same authentication errors as others on this post.

android version 7.0

kernal 3.10.61

Are steps being taking to resolve this issue?

Message 15 of 71
shminger
Initiate

FYI... The solution to turn off the 5GHz transmission under the Advanced Network Settings does work to temporarily resolve the connectivity issues described above.  I performed this change this weekend, and my wife & I have had consistent connections to our WiFi since... after not having consistent connectivity for >1week (likely longer).

Though this is not a valid solution long-term, as we would like to take advantage of 5GHz connection speeds, atleast it's a stop-gap for now.

The right solution is for Netgear to fix the root cause issue.

Message 16 of 71
bolingde
Guide

I have the same "authentication error occurred" on my Samsung sm-g925v (Samsung Galaxy S6 edge) phone runnning android version 7.  I've turned off the broadcasting 5g to see if that works. (I also told to to forget the connection during reboot of the orbi)  I don't move my laptop around too much and my other devices are roku's, firesticks and xbox's that don't move either but since I haven't noticed a problem on them I do think it's related to Samsung (or at least the s6 being able to switch on the orbi). Others in my house have an iphone 8 and Galaxy 8 and I haven't heard of a problem with them but I don't know if they would notice anyway. 

The problem seems new (like maybe the last month).

In the 10-15 minutes I've been typing and my phone since shows "connected" on my S6 wifi. 

Message 17 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

Exact same issue with our samsung galaxy s6 edge phones.
All other wifi devices stay connected.
Message 18 of 71
rajah22
Initiate

I have a Galaxy S6 that would not stay connected. The solution that worked best for me was to enable a guest network with no authentication and uncheck Enable SSID Broadcast. Then I just manually add the guest network into my phone. It's not the most secure solution, but it's been stable. Hopefully, a fix for this is coming soon. 

Message 19 of 71
p_haze
Tutor

Hi - I have the same problem. Waited 6-months for a good deal on the Orbi AC3000 system and just got it. Disappointed to find that it does no work with my GS6 Active. 

Message 20 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

I just swapped my orbi out for my old ASUS RT-AC66U set to ap mode. No loss of wifi on either s6's.
When I find the time I'll try orbi again but disable all advanced wifi settings and see if it helps.
Maybe I should just get a dedicated ap like a ubiquity ap pro.
Message 21 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

I'm having WIFi authentication issues with my Samsung  Galaxy S6 since the phone S/W update earlier this month. It appears to be a wide spread problem based on other messages on this community. If I reboot the phone WiFi does connect but it frequently drops out and I get the Authentication Error message.

Does anyone know if NetGear has acknowledged the problem and whether there is a fix in process?

Thanks,

Frank

Message 22 of 71
bolingde
Guide

Not sure if it's a Netgear or Samsung problem. I do think that has something, as others have suggested, that it is related to the last update on the Samsung. The problem may only show up on Orbi because it only broadcast one SSID or because it's considered mesh but it may be because Samsung isn't using the full wi-fi protocol. 

Message 23 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

You're right of couse, it could be a Samsung problem. I first noticed the issue after my S6 phone was updated on 11/4 with S/W version G920VVRS4DQJ1.

Message 24 of 71
Tabby76
Aspirant

Same problem no solution
One more major problem is with dynamic dns port mapping

Is any one listening to the users complains

Message 25 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7