Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Authentication Error Occurred

I disabled 5ghz broadcast and wmmi and it had been rock stable since. I am surprised that is not working for everyone.
Message 26 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

I've unplugged my satelite and turned off all advanced services exceppt MU-MIMO. My connection has been better but still drops out maybe twice a day instead of every ten minutes.

At this point I'm using my Orbi strictly as an expensive access point. So why bother? Amazon just delivered a new Unibuity AP AC pro which is half the price. I'll try that out tomorrow and if it works I'll be putting my Orbi up on ebay or seeing if a coworker wants to buy a used one.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 27 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

I saw that Orbi has a new firmware so I upgraded to see if this issue was resolved. Nope, still get authentication errors. I tried what a previous poster suggested and turned off my 5G radio. The connection has not dropped but my connection speed is pretty terrible considering I can get around 500Mbps on 5G. 

I've opened a ticket with support and hopefully they can work on a fix before my 3 month warranty runs out.

I'll be going back to my Unifi AC-AP-PRO for now.

Message 28 of 71
Spadde
Guide

I just bought Orbi system few weeks back. I did this even I have read quite bad feedback about it. Well I got the product and I fixed it to my house. It's been working perfectly ever since but the only problem has been my wifes Galaxy S6. It's been getting this authentication error all the time. All other products are working just fine like my own Galaxy S8+. I wasn't very hard to figure out that 5Ghz network is causing the problem. Mainly bacause earlier network was only 2.4Ghz and I had no problems with it. So now the case was that how I can get this one phone to use only 2.4Ghz network and still be able to use 5Ghz network with other products? I was disapointed to notice that you can't give separate SSID's from the system itself. But luckily there is a quide how to do this with Telnet. (remember to do the same with all satellites you might have). When I did this and connected Galaxy S6 to 2.4Ghz network and all other uses 5Ghz now everything works perfect at least for me. System is online all the time and well as all the products plus I can keep the 5Ghz speed with the products I need.

So from my point of view this Orbi system is quite perfect. Only down side is that you can't give separate SSID's for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks from the system itself.

Message 29 of 71
bolingde
Guide

Thanks for pointing out the Telnet solution. 

One of the main benefits of Mesh networking is not having  different bands and/or SSID's, however in this case it might be better to have an easy way to do it. Hopefully either Netgear will make a workaround, Samsung fixes the problem or it's only limited to older products and will phases itself out. It would also be nice to be able to limit a device by either name or MAC to only one band by the menu. If netgear wanted they could make it easy to select a device and limited it to certain satellites, bands, day/times, usage, etc but i wouldn't hold my breath. 

Message 30 of 71
bolingde
Guide

One more comment that may be helpful or not.  On Orbi I turned off the "Enable SSID Broadcast" after I already had many devices connected because of this problem.  What is interesting however is that many of the devices still show they are connected at 5 GHz. I'm not sure if they really are but that's what they show. I guess it would be because since they found the 5GHZ band before I turned the broadcast off and they remembered it. Just guessing that if someone has the same problem they can turn the broadcast off and still not be limited to 2.5GHz for devices already connected. My phone still shows 2.5 and also doesn't disconnects all the  time. Just my 2 cents. 

Message 31 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

A quick question about splitting SSID's. Have you found that you need to connect the s6 to just the 2G channel to get it to work or can you have it connect to the 5G as well?
Message 32 of 71
Spadde
Guide

Bolingde, thanks for pointing out the meaning of Mesh networking. I totally agree with you that this should not be the way Orbi system should work. MAC address idea was very good indeed. But when all deviced are not working togther then luckily we have at least some workarounds in our hands.

And to other guys. Even if you hide the 5G SSID it would not work. At least for me it didn't. It's still the same SSID for both 2.4G and 5G and my devices choosed 5G still.

And yes, Galaxy S6 needs to be connected to 2.4G network.
Message 33 of 71
not4u13
Guide

Wife and I both have this issue with the S6 as well.  I used the link posted earlier and noticed a suggestion to use the guest network.  I don't know why that works, but it does.  I enabled the guest network and connected our S6 phones to it.  No more authentication errors.  Because we use our phones to control a number of things on our home network, I also enabled the guest network to access the local network.  Yes, I have enabled WPA security with a password even for the guest network.  This has returned full functionality to our phones without disrupting the other devices on the network that have been working fine.  

There is one glitch in the process and that is with the Bose Soundtouch system.  Some of our speakers seem to randomly be available and then not available, but I'm still working on that one.  Could just as well be a Bose issue at this point. 

Issue seems to have occured with the S6 early November update.  A more recent update from Samsung did not fix the problem.  It's a compatibility issue of some type since I'm not having any issue with my iPhone and Orbi and I'm not having any issue with my S6 and other WiFi systems (and now no problem with Orbi Guest Network).

Anyone know what is different about the Guest Network setting that may allow it to work better?

Message 34 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

Very interesting about the guest network workaround. Have you noticed any speed throttling compared to using main SSID?
What is working for me currently is using my router in AP mode and disconnect my satellite. Downside to this is parental controls are disabled.
When I get a chance I'll try it guest network in router mode.
Message 35 of 71
not4u13
Guide

I have not noticed any speed differential.  I just ran SpeedTest from the Android app and it shows 92.87Mbps.  A lot of variables influence the number, but it's certainly fast enough.  I received a 312 yesterday.  No configuration changes.  Most everything I do with my smartphone though isn't bandwidth intensive.  Even music streaming doesn't require much bandwidth and I only do that occasionally.  All other devices remain on the main SSID.  Only my smartphone is on the guest network.  

Message 36 of 71
jhensley
Aspirant

Spadde, thank you for your writeup. I've followed it and am hoping it'll keep my S6 connected to the 2.4Ghz SSID.

I noticed you suggested following the same Telnet steps on all satellites, but I'm struggling to Telnet into my satellite. When I attempt to Telnet to 192.168.1.3, I get an error message: Could not open connection to the host, on port 23 : Connect failed. I tried connecting from a computer that's wired to the satellite, but I get the same error. This is with the Enable Telnet box checked.

Am I overlooking a setting to enable access to my satellite through Telnet?

Message 37 of 71
Spadde
Guide

jhensley, I truly hope that this workaround works also for you. Our Galaxy S6 has not dropped from wifi ever since I turned this on.

About the satellite. Just to confirm that did you enable Telnet also from your satellite? If not, then you need to login to the satellite same way as you login to your router. Just using satellite's IP-address. Satellite approves same username and password as router.

So please do all the steps separately for router and satellite. First enable Telnet from router and satellite by logging in to both separately using their own IP-addresses -> use Telnet to change SSID for 2.4Ghz network from router and satellite -> disable Telnet from router and satellite by logging in to both separately using their own IP-addresses.

I hope you can get this working with these instructions.

Message 38 of 71
JoelM3d
Tutor

I thought I'd update this thread with my latest findings.
I tried the workaround where you turn off 5G. That worked but my gigabit connection was going to waste with a download speed of under 80mbps at best.
I tried the other suggested fix where you connect to the guest network. That so far is the best fix for me. I get good connection and my 5G speeds. It's weird that a guest network fixes my problem. I wonder what the difference is between the main SSID and guest SSID.
Message 39 of 71
diodorus
Guide

I have been advised the following by the Netgear support:

"Based on the information you have provided and the troubleshooting steps performed, we would like to further isolate the case by replacing the unit."

...but I don't see how that would help. Did anyone go down that route?

Message 40 of 71
Bin_jammin
Aspirant

Hi gang, just thought I'd share some info that might help save some head scratching, the problem is with your phones and not your Orbis. I can confirm this because I've got the same issues with my Samsung GS6 and that's how I found this thread at 4am, and because I don't have an Orbi. In fact, until I found this thread I'd never even heard of one. 

My problem started off with a recent software update sometime in the past few weeks, and I discovered the problem when I noticed my suddenly abyssmal battery life. What happens is that I have terrible LTE reception at work, and my GS6 will drop itself from wifi, then constantly try to connect over wifi or LTE, until the battery is dead. If I turn wifi of and back on it will reconnect, but not permanently. It seems like if I'm actually using the phone it will stay connected, but if I leave it in my pocket it will eventually happen. I'd imagine it's got something to do with Samsung playing with battery management, trying some kind of wifi radio sleeping, but that's just a hunch. 

Anyway, the problem's with our phones. 

Message 41 of 71

Bin_jammin, Agreed. This issue ONLY started when Samsung pushed through this update in November. Up until then, I never had a connection drop issue between my phone and my ORBI. Nothing else drops in the house because of ORBI. The latest update that they just pushed through did NOT solve the issue. Our iPhone users don't have this problem. Our tablets, computers etc don't have this problem. It's only the S6. So Samsung needs to fix whatever they altered so the phone is again compatible.

Message 42 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

As I stated in an earlier post the problem seems to be tied to the S6 phone update on 11/4 with S/W version G920VVRS4DQJ1. Since we  have Samsung as the S6 owner, Google for Android and Verizon (in my case) as the service provider, how do we determine who owns the problem? For the short term I've moved to the guest network and it seems to be solid but that's obviously not the desired solution. I have all my other devices on the primary system and everything is solid.

Message 43 of 71
Bin_jammin
Aspirant

For the record, I'm on Sprint, so it's not a carrier specific issue.
Message 44 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

And of course I should have included Netgear as a candidate but from what I've seen in this thread Samsung seems to be the leading possibility.

Message 45 of 71
bolingde
Guide

I think it's a Samsung issue unless of course there is something that Netgear isn't handling in the protocal correctly. I have seen cases where within a standard some parts are rarely used so most OEM's never checks or them, but if one does, they don't handshake correctly. 

I think this is not likely but I'd rather Netgear at least make sure it's not the case instead of just saying "well s6's will soon be gone anyway", because it could show up again if it's a protocal issue. 

Message 46 of 71
Bin_jammin
Aspirant

Like I said, I have a GS6 and have this issue, but I don't have any Netgear equipment. Not sure how this could be anything but a Samsung issue or anything to do with Netgear.

*** Also, I got pushed an OTA update yesterday, fingers crossed it solved the issue.

Message 47 of 71
bolingde
Guide

Just an update on this problem. 

Recap: Samsung Edge s6 would lose connection with the orbi saying "Authentication Error Occurred". Suggested work around was turning off 5g.  While this worked for the phone, in my case it seemed to cause connection problems with the satellites. 

I turned the 5g back on, and created a test network.  Issues with the satellites and authentication seems to have went away.

While I was almost sure this was a Samsung problem the fact that the phone works fine on the guest network points somewhat to the Netgear Orbi (because if it was just a samsung problem it would have the same issue on the  guest network, something is different on the guest network that allows it to work). 

Message 48 of 71
webminster
Luminary

I have a Samsung S5... funny thing is since installing the Orbi about 3 weeks ago, I hadn't had any auth errors on the phone - til today.  Happened twice this morning.   Only diff was reloading the .16 firmware on the Orbis to try to fix the attached devices issue.  Not sure why this suddenly started again.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 49 of 71
not4u13
Guide

I have not tried to switch back from the Guest network since my last post, but I can say that my device has remained very stable since then and since I updated the Orbi to allow access to the main network from the guest network, I seem to have full functionality to control my various home automation systems from my smartphone as well.  

While some are calling this clearly a Samsung issue, I disagree.  This is an incompatibility between this particular Samsung device with this particular update and the Orbi device.  I don't have any issues with my smartphone connecting to wifi reliably on any other wifi network.  I don't have any trouble with my Orbi using any other device.  Yes, this started occuring with the Nov 4 Android Update and no, the more recent update to the GS6 has fixed the issue.  I actually have two GS6 smart phones and they both experience the same issue and both work just fine on the guest network.

I really have no idea why the guest network works and the primary network does not.  I should add that I did enable security on the guest network as well, so it's not really a "guest" network any longer.  All I can say is that this workaround works and I've seen no downside to using it.  Now, if you do have guests and make a habit out of giving them the guest network wifi but don't want them on your primary network, this would not be a good workaround for you.  

Model: RBK52W| Orbi Router + 2 Wall-Plugs Orbi WiFi System
Message 50 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7