Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Authentication Error Occurred

p_haze
Tutor

I believe this issue is resolved. I recieved a software update on Thursday (S6 Active, on AT&T network). Since then my phone is connected to the main Orbi network and stable. I have not had to use the guest network. 

It is a Christmas miracle.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 51 of 71
BradPitt1
Initiate

Many people facing this annoying issue. This can happen due to many reasons. For me, its work properly after modifying network connection, try this solution. And if it's not working for you, the best option will be to call customer care and ask for a technical visit.

Message 52 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

I received Android update G920VVR44DQL1 dated 12/28/17 for my S6 today (Verizon carrier). I'm still using the ORBI Guest network function since there was no solution regarding the authentication issue in the update. 

Message 53 of 71
GregoryHD
Aspirant

I actually went the route of doing a factory reset of my phone and it started to work again, had some drops but would reconnect pretty quickly... especially when moving from main to satellite... this seemed to be the solution... for about 3 days. Then when I tried to connect to the WiFi for my Phantom 3 the issues came back full force... cleared cached... deleted WiFi networks and apps... no real look. I'm moving on to the guest network solution to see if that works.

I have a S6 Edge.

Message 54 of 71
lbh1055
Aspirant

Same issue with my S6.  Hoping this gets addressed before my 30 day return window closes.

Message 55 of 71
bolingde
Guide

I wouldn't hold my breath, my believe is netgear will let people use the public network fix until the s6 disappear. 

Message 56 of 71
ah42
Tutor

I just want to point out that this is definitely NOT just an issue with Samsung firmware. This is an issue caused by the Orbi router, firmware, and 5 ghz band. I have the same authentication issue on my LG G6 and Asus 3S 10 tablet. Both of these devices have connected and worked fine with other multi-band systems. But as soon as I got my Orbi in yesterday I have 3 devices that won't connect or stay connected to it at all. Even my Macbook Pro gives me an "invalid password" message even though the password is correct. All of these devices have not reported the same issues with other brands of routers. I don't feel like waiting around on Netgear to release a fix so I'm probably just going to return mine. I had high hopes for this system but it seems Netgear is in the middle of a firmware update fiasco and I got in at the wrong time.

Message 57 of 71
GregoryHD
Aspirant

The only fix for me was the guest network option, which is not ideal. Even my Ring Doorbell was having issues and had to get a Ring Chime Pro to fix it.

Message 58 of 71
not4u13
Guide

Received a recent update to my Samsung S6 and I am no longer experiencing the issue on the main network.  I switched one device back over to the main network and left the other device (my wife) on the guest network.  No more authentication issue.

I have not seen any issues with other devices either as some are reporting.  

I'm now on G920VVRSRDRA1 that was updated on January 26.  

Galaxy S6.  

I'll be switching by guest network back to a true guest network soon and will be back to loving my Orbi.  

Interested to hear from other S6 users to see if this update has worked for them. 

Message 59 of 71
GregoryHD
Aspirant

@not4u13 well I got the same update on the same day so I just tried switching over to my main network... still no luck... still get the error... but hey... now I have the same issue on my Guest network... so both are screwed, I have no WiFi now for my Samsung Galaxy S6.

Message 60 of 71

Got the same update. Still getting the same error. My device is the only device in the house that has this issue. And my phone is not the only Samsung, so I still believe it is directly related to the update from Oct/Nov last year. Never had this problem with my phone or my Orbi before then
Message 61 of 71
not4u13
Guide

I'm not sure why my experience is differnt.  My issue clearly began with the November update to the Galaxy S6 on Verizon.  I have two S6 in the house and they both experienced the same Authentication Error Occured issue at the same time.  The same fix of moving to the guest network worked for both of them, but I have no idea why that worked.

In an effort to possibly help others, I'll describe a sequence of events that happened on my WiFi network over the past month.

I was out of town for a few days in January and when I returned my network wasn't working correctly.  I had to power-cycle my Cable modem and Orbi system.  When I power-cycle I usually power off satellites, then power on the base unit, attach and confirm it is working and then power up the satellites one at a time (I have two).  If I'm doing the cable model also, I leave the Orbi powered off, power cycle the cable model, wait until it is fully initialized and then start the Orbi power up process.  So I did this before I received the Samsung update.  I later recieved the Samsung update.  The next thing that happened last weekend we noticed the Bose Soundtouch system we have no longer connected to the network.  This may have been a problem for a few days, but it was when I was fixing that system that I had to connect to the main WiFi network on the Orbi.  That's when I also noticed one of my satellites was not connecting properly.  I powered off the satellite.  Re-initilzed the Bose Soundtouch system.  Connected to the main WiFi network.  Powered up the Orbi satellite.  Tested all the speakers and just kept my Samsung device on the main network.  

I don't beleive all of this stuff is really related, but the point being, I had some sort of an odd problem with my Orbi system that required me to go through this power-cycle sequence.  That issue seemed to have affected my Bose Soundtouch as well.  The Samsung update happened in amoungst all of this, so I can't be sure that it was definately the Samsung update or if was a combination of factors.  I haven't checked to see if my strange issue with my Orbi system was due to a system update or not.  I have mine set to an automatic update.  

Message 62 of 71
bolingde
Guide

As a few have already stated, if I hadn't already invest in my system I would probable look for another solution as well. The fact that is has not been fixed lead me to think Netgear just doesn't have either the staff or desirer or both to fix this problem.  I've worked around this issues but makes me think what if it wasn't a issue with a work around, you'd just be dead i the water for who knows how long waiting on a fix. 

Message 63 of 71
zoro25
Aspirant

Running 1 RBK50 and 2 RBS50's with an Galaxy S6 Edge and also have the same issue, 

This makes the Orbi's unusable for me and the workarounds of unprotected network or only using 2.4Ghz also won't work. 

Can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet. 

Luckily I'm only about a week and a half into ownership, to me, it looks like a blacklist issue as my phone was working fine until I changed the SSID and not being blocked out, with the "fake error message"  

Authentication error occurred, 

Also, my satellites also disconnected as have all of my other devices over WIFI so only ethernet devices are currently working. 

Message 64 of 71
not4u13
Guide

Based on what you describe, your issue looks to be different than the one experienced by Galaxy S6 users.  I never had any issues with satellite connectivity.

I can say that it seems the issue has now been fixed with the most recent update to my Galaxy S6.  I no longer have the authentication error issue and have switched the guest network back to the original configuration.  

Message 65 of 71
Liteglow
Aspirant

Problem is still out there!!!!!

I had to use my GUEST network since December.
And a week ago my Samsung S6 phone got a new update, and now my phone drop its WiFi connection on both networks 😞 selling kg ORBI and buy Google Mesh.

There have been several topics about this problem in different online news, why i this problem not adressed ?
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 66 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

I still have the problem after installation of the G920VVRS4DRB1 S6 update on 3/11/18. I do have a solid connection in the guest mode but have no idea why that works. I too am amazed that there hasn't been a fix from Netgear or Samsung after all these months.

Message 67 of 71

Mine has been working well for a few months on a S6 active. I can't even remember what I changed but I can tell you that it does work for some people.
Message 68 of 71
Fboyle
Aspirant

My wife and I recently moved to T-Mobile and Samsung Galaxy S9 phones. We've had no authentication error issues with the S9 platforms to date.

Message 69 of 71
Liteglow
Aspirant

Message 70 of 71
prasen82
Aspirant

this is not specific to samsung. i have the problem on my s8, fire tv stick and my macbook. so suspect problem is larger . new security patches on client devices are causing connection problems. my guess is something to do with same ssid for booth 2.4 and 5 ghz.

its a problem on both router and client side device.

Message 71 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7