Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Authorization requests (on public sites) after router reset.

GASkinner
Tutor

Authorization requests (on public sites) after router reset.

I had to reset my Orbi router after an error from my PRovider (Bell). The setup went fine, connected to the internet, speed tests are good.
My issue is that when I now try and use sites like BBC and a handfull of others the sites come back with "Authentication Required" boxes (see attached). If I cancel I get a "401 Unauthorized" error. Not all sites deliver the issue for example CNN.
Also Windows update fails with error code - (0x8024a223)
I have another network which is direct from my Bell modem and if I use this network there are no problems at all. Everything was fine before the recent reset of the Orbi system.
RBR50
Firmware: 2.2.1.210
Windows 10

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Authorization requests (on public sites) after router reset.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try IE11, FF or Opera to see if same thing happens? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Message 2 of 5
GASkinner
Tutor

Modem - Sagemcom Home Hub 3000 (Bell supplied)

Tried on FF, Chrome, Vivaldi and MSFT Edge and it happens on all of them.

Was all working just fine this am, then had an issue with Bell and had to reset the modem and Orbi router.

If I use the Bell router directly no such problem occurs.

Message 3 of 5
GASkinner
Tutor

Also:

Happens on browsers on my mobile device (iPhone and iPad), both will also now not run app updates as normal.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7