Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto firmware update resets router to factory default settings.

mkepeter
Guide

Auto firmware update resets router to factory default settings.

The past two firmware updates have reset my router to factory defaults requiring me to reconfigure the router to my settings.  All wireless devices are disconnected until I can complete this.  The recent firmware update/factory reset left me unable to connect to wireless cameras and lighting systems while traveling.  Not cool.

Is there a way to disable the auto firmware updates? I've wised up and now have a backup of my settings to restore when the next firmware update happens.  Current installed firmware version is V2.3.1.44.

I have contacted support twice now.  They have stopped responding to my requests on what recommendations they may have for my issue or if I can disable auto-updates.  This is my first Netgear/Orbi system, and  I really want to see this setup work out...

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
wynnstuff
Initiate

Re: Auto firmware update resets router to factory default settings.

Support, I second what mkepeter is saying in his post. This morning found the router reset to factory settings. If I was on business travel my mother would not be capable of going through the “NEW” setup. Internet is the only way she has to make calls with Wi-Fi calling so very important that the network is online. All other electronics I use give a notification if there is a new update!! WHY IS NETGEAR DIFFERENT?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a manual load of the FW files on the RBR. Then factory reset and setup from scratch. Be sure to save off a backup configuration to file as well.

Try the 30-30-30 reset as well before re-loading the FW file. Let us know if this helps. Others reported this fixed this on the 20 series Orbi.

@mkepeter wrote:

The past two firmware updates have reset my router to factory defaults requiring me to reconfigure the router to my settings.  All wireless devices are disconnected until I can complete this.  The recent firmware update/factory reset left me unable to connect to wireless cameras and lighting systems while traveling.  Not cool.

Is there a way to disable the auto firmware updates? I've wised up and now have a backup of my settings to restore when the next firmware update happens.  Current installed firmware version is V2.3.1.44.

I have contacted support twice now.  They have stopped responding to my requests on what recommendations they may have for my issue or if I can disable auto-updates.  This is my first Netgear/Orbi system, and  I really want to see this setup work out...

Message 3 of 7
mkepeter
Guide

I did a 30:30:30 reset this moring.  Noiw I'll wait for the next firmware update...

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you save a back up configuration to file? 

Does the configuration persist thru a reboot or if you pull the power cable from the RBR and plug it back in? 

@mkepeter wrote:

I did a 30:30:30 reset this moring.  Noiw I'll wait for the next firmware update...

Message 5 of 7
mkepeter
Guide

yes on the backup of the configuration prior to the 303030 reset.  I did a backup after the second time the firware update took the router back to factory default settings.  I can power off and back on the router and my saved config loads.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad it's working now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7