Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto or manual update of my Orbi RBR/RBS50 firmware

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Auto or manual update of my Orbi RBR/RBS50 firmware

There's a firmware update available for my Orbi system. It's available for download but not for auto update. I would like to install it but have never done a manual update of this system so I'm a bit wary of doing it.

Is a manual update of this Orbi system as reliable and problem free as auto update has been, or should I wait for it to come through for auto update and how long may that take?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Auto or manual update of my Orbi RBR/RBS50 firmware

I much prefer the manual update versus the auto-update. 

I've seen more issues with corrupt firmware updates on here because of auto-update, updating over wifi, or updating via the app. 

So I usually recommend people use the manual update option and be hardwired into their devices. 

Tends to be the safest way possible

Message 2 of 4
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I used to do manual updates on my Nighthawk routers but never on the Orbi and it has worked perfectly well. I am a bit scared of the router and satellites setup and how manual update will affect that. I will have a go at it though. I've seen that I should do the satellites first and then the router.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I've done manual on my Orbi's for quite a while. I've never had issues with manual updates and it tends to go pretty smoothly. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7