Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Avoiding double NAT while keeping one subnet for whole network? (ATT Pace router and RBR50)

Vusta
Aspirant

Avoiding double NAT while keeping one subnet for whole network? (ATT Pace router and RBR50)

Hello!

So i've configured and reconfigured my wifi/network about 20x since receiving the Orbi RBR50 router and 2 sattalites.  Here's my current hardware, using an ATT Fiber connection:

ATT hardware: Pace 5268AC (no bridge mode or IP pass through.  DMZ+ only.  No ability to disable DHCP on the Pace)

Orbi RBR50 + 2 sattalites.  Currently running in Router mode and placed in DMZ+

I'm running the Orbi in router mode currently, with the Wifi radios disabled on the Pace modem/router.  The problem is, now I have 2 subnets, all my hardwired devices are 192.xxx IPs and my Orbi wifi assigned devices are 10.xxx  I'd like to be able to have my hardwired devices connect to my wifi devices.  To get the Orbi to work, I had to put the IP of the RBR50 into DMZ+ mode (it has a 192.xxx IP address) and things work, barring the above subnet issues.  

So, my question is, can I put the Orbi in DMZ+ and have the Orbi in AP mode, so that the Pace handles DHCP to all my devices, hardwired and wifi?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Avoiding double NAT while keeping one subnet for whole network? (ATT Pace router and RBR50)

@Vusta wrote:

I'm running the Orbi in router mode currently, with the Wifi radios disabled on the Pace modem/router.  The problem is, now I have 2 subnets, all my hardwired devices are 192.xxx IPs and my Orbi wifi assigned devices are 10.xxx  I'd like to be able to have my hardwired devices connect to my wifi devices.

Unless I am seriously mistaken the Pace 5268AC is a DSL modem, with an option to use an ethernet internet connection.

This seems inconsistent with  "AT&T Fiber".  The Pace provides telephone and television service as well as internet.  If these services are part of the subscription, then the Pace must be part of the installation.  On the other hand, if telephone and television are not being provided by AT&T and internet comes through the ethernet port, it may be possible to pull the Pace unit.

There is no reason to use the Pace DMZ.  Connect the Orbi to the Pace and place the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

The Pace will assign IP addresses to every device in the network, including devices connected directly to the Pace (including Orbi Router) and devices connected to the Orbi router and satellites.  This will be one big happy 192.168.1.x family.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Avoiding double NAT while keeping one subnet for whole network? (ATT Pace router and RBR50)

@Vusta wrote:

I'm running the Orbi in router mode currently, with the Wifi radios disabled on the Pace modem/router.  The problem is, now I have 2 subnets, all my hardwired devices are 192.xxx IPs and my Orbi wifi assigned devices are 10.xxx  I'd like to be able to have my hardwired devices connect to my wifi devices.

Unless I am seriously mistaken the Pace 5268AC is a DSL modem, with an option to use an ethernet internet connection.

This seems inconsistent with  "AT&T Fiber".  The Pace provides telephone and television service as well as internet.  If these services are part of the subscription, then the Pace must be part of the installation.  On the other hand, if telephone and television are not being provided by AT&T and internet comes through the ethernet port, it may be possible to pull the Pace unit.

There is no reason to use the Pace DMZ.  Connect the Orbi to the Pace and place the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

The Pace will assign IP addresses to every device in the network, including devices connected directly to the Pace (including Orbi Router) and devices connected to the Orbi router and satellites.  This will be one big happy 192.168.1.x family.

Message 2 of 3
Vusta
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!  The Pace was what ATT installed 3-4 years ago.  I do not use their telephone or TV service, only the fiber internet connection.  My speed tests are consistently 930ish up and down, so definitely getting gigabit speeds.  I know most people despise these routers that ATT provides, as they tend to make simple tasks difficult by ommiting basic features most others have.  If I continue to have an issue, or feel like randomly taking my network down again, I'll try and bypass the Pace and go directly to the Orbi in router mode.  

Before your reply, I went ahead and placed the Orbi in AP mode, and rebooted both the modem and Orbi.  All my devices are now back on 192.xxx IPs, and I can see and connect to them from my other PCs.  Finally.  

I'll remove the RBR50 from the DMZ then, if it serves no purpose!  Thanks, again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7