Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Awful connection with satellite

RPI
Aspirant
Aspirant

Awful connection with satellite

Installed my Orbi System and had high hopes for this one.... Unfortunately my connection between router and satellite drops on a a daily basis Smiley Sad . And distance between router and satellite is just 5 meters... Too bad could be a good product in theory.... Satisfied with router (in router mode not AP) but connection with satellite unfortunately badly executed. Am I the only one with this issue? Both router and satellite have latest firmware.

Message 1 of 8

Re: Awful connection with satellite

@RPI wrote:

Installed my Orbi System and had high hopes for this one.... Unfortunately my connection between router and satellite drops on a a daily basis Smiley Sad . And distance between router and satellite is just 5 meters... Too bad could be a good product in theory.... Satisfied with router (in router mode not AP) but connection with satellite unfortunately badly executed. Am I the only one with this issue? Both router and satellite have latest firmware.

at 5 meters its prob way to  close as the sat works great here about 15 meters away from the router , you may have a faulty unit look at getting it replaced

btw when i say too close i refer to too close for roaming to work  as you will have way to much overlap between the router and sat wifi wise

Message 2 of 8
RPI
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. I tested my setup and found out that my problems were caused by Nvidia Shield Tv, which is also sending out a WIFI-signal (for remote). For now, removing this media player, resulted in a steady network connection Smiley Very Happy I did not experience this with other setup of router and extenders...

Message 3 of 8

hi

what you may find is they are both using the same ch on 2.4 gig

to overcome this you can ( and i suggest you do ) manually select a 2.4 gig ch to use , the norm is to ether choose ch 1 , 6 or 11 as they do not overlap , try each one and see if the issue stops

yes i have heard some of the new type wireless remotes work over the wifi band instead if IR as they should , this imho is just dam lazy sloppy work on their part , its bad enough the 2.4 gig spectrum is so over crowded as it is

however if your happy with your work around thats all good but do try what i suggested above as it may solve the issue

pete

Message 4 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

@peteytesting wrote:

yes i have heard some of the new type wireless remotes work over the wifi band instead if IR as they should , this imho is just dam lazy sloppy work on their part , its bad enough the 2.4 gig spectrum is so over crowded as it is

To be fair, the vendors don't have a lot of options for remote.  It's either Bluetooth (2.4GHz) or WiFi Direct (also 2.4GHz, but with theoretically lower latency).

Then again, I practically have my satellite parked on top of my Shield TV and right next to a PS4 and have observed no meaningful interference from either.

Rodney

Message 5 of 8
RPI
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Pete. I will give it a try! Without Shield connected I have a stable connection for 5 days now!

Message 6 of 8
RPI
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Rodney,  quite curious that you have no interference at all from your Shield.... After I disconnected my shield I was able to get a rocksteady connection... Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

None that I've observed - if I can make the time tonight, I'll pull the power on the Shield and measure RSSI between the router and satellite before and after to confirm no effect.

Rodney

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7