Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

B&B Large & Small Houses - Two Orbis and One Internet Connection?

swjmcdonnell
Aspirant

B&B Large & Small Houses - Two Orbis and One Internet Connection?

I have a Bed & Breakfast that consists of a large  3-story, 10,000 sq ft home and a 2-story 2,000 sq ft guest house that sits about 200 feet away from the main house. I was planning on using the Orbi RBK854 (4-Pack Ori AX6000 Mesh WiFi 6 System) that has a router and 3 satellites. The router and 1 satellite would be on opposite ends of the 1st floor and the other two satellites would be on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There are 8 bedrooms in the main house, 4 on the 2nd and 4 on the 3rd floor. Each bedroom has a television with a Firestick. .I'm hoping that the RBK854 would support that setup, along with cellphones and laptops. Based on experience with guests here, I don't anticipate everything would be full-on at the same time and could tolerate some buffering on TVs if it that happened.

I have a buried Ethernet cable from the main house to the guest house. I'd like to extend the Orbi system to the guest house, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. My questions:

1) I welcome comments on the setup in the big house.

2) Do I need to buy a separate Orbi plus one satellite for the first and second floors of the guest house?

3) Can I use two Orbi routers with one Internet connection? If so, will they have to be on separate subnets connecting to another router that's connected to the Internet? What about the wireless networks? Would they need to be different SSIDs or could I combine them together somehow?

The other option I'm exploring is more of a commercial setup with Ubiquiti equipment, but the installation is a little more involved and a little more expensive. Seeing as the demand for B&Bs right now is not very high, I want to spend money wisely. However, I don't want to do it on the cheap and provide poor Internet service for guests.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: B&B Large & Small Houses - Two Orbis and One Internet Connection?

WiFi icoverage will depend on the physical construction and shape of the building and the location of the access points.

If the floors are essentially 50x50ft squares of typical wood frame construction and the WiFi access point is located in the center, then one satellite should service a floor.  If each floor is a 100ft x 25ft rectangle with concrete walls, things get a lot more "interesting". Likewise for the smaller building.

I'm guessing that this building already exists and it is too late to run ethernet cables to each bedroom.

One seamless WiFi network will be a LOT more convenient to manage as guests move between buildings.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7