Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BBC iPlayer not working with Orbi

Stormer077
Aspirant

BBC iPlayer not working with Orbi

Hi - I just purchased an Orbi system which seems to be working fine apart from BBC iPlayer now doesn't work on my iPad. When I connect to the gateway router using its own wifi hotspot directly it works fine but by going through Orbi it doesn't. Any ideas what might be causing this and how I can fix it please? Thank you! 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
dmw_2
Guide

I have recently installed Orbi and Satellite and have multiple connectivity issues, one being BBC iPlayer through a Samsung Smart TV (wired and wireless).  It's a similar issue through the iPlayer app on a YouView box (wired).  I manage to connect to iPlayer via wireless from an iPad OK, then try to cast via Chromecast to the TV and it fails.  I have similar issues with Netflix although Amazon Prime video is faultless. I have connectivity issues with my British Gas Hive Hub which connects for a short while then goes off line.  I have used all these devices and many more with a Nighthawk D7800 for a couple of years with no issues at all.  I have a lot of experience with Netgear routers but never like this.  I have extracted the logs from the Orbi but nothing in there to suggest an issue.   

Message 2 of 4
dmw_2
Guide

Problem sorted and it looks like it wasn't the Orbi at all.  I previously used a Nighthawk D7800 which has a built in VDSL modem.  Knowing that the Orbi does not have a modem I purchased a Netgear DM200 and configured it to MODEM ONLY mode.  Many things worked but as I said earlier, BBC iPlayer just refused to connect, as did Netflix.  My Hive Hub would not stay connected and also I have an Amcrest webcam installed remotely and the Amcrest monitoring software on my W10 PC just sat there saying SEARCHING FOR VIDEO.  Like BBC iPlayer, the Amcrest camera worked through an app on my iPhone and iPad.  Earlier today I dug out an old Netgear WNDR4500 and connected it in place of the Orbi ... exactly the same problems.  So, I dug out the old BT Openreach modem and connected it to the WNDR4500 ... instantly everything worked again.  Finally, I connected the Orbi to the Openreach modem and thankfully everything is now working as I would expect.  My faith in the Orbi has been restored but goodness knows what's going on the the Netgear DM200?  I would just add that I have a couple of webcams at home connected to the Orbi and DM200 modem.  Someone who monitors them remotely advised they were not available (even though I have set up fixed IP addresses and port forwarding etc.).  They too have sprung back into life.

Message 3 of 4
Stormer077
Aspirant

Thanks dmw_2. After a little while, I was advised by Orbi that it had detected an IP conflict and automatically updated the address which fixed the issue! Nice experience. I have also managed to move my Vodafone Sure Signal to the Orbi router and get that working first time with no changes which I was expecting to be a problem after reading some of the forums. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7