Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BBR40 Main / RBW30 - How do I extend

Jonathan001
Aspirant

BBR40 Main / RBW30 - How do I extend

I have a routrer from my internet service provider connected to a switch that connects to internet ports in the house

I have an BBR40 that is hard wired from the swich tio the 1st floor of my house

I have 2 x RBW30's. One on the first floor & one on the 3rd floor that connect wirelessly to the BBR40

This does not give me the internet connectivity I require

I was thinking that I can replace the RBW30's with 2 further BBR40's or equivelants & hardware these into the internet ports

What is the best way to scale my sysytem?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: BBR40 Main / RBW30 - How do I extend

Please re-confirm your NG product. CBR40? or RBR40? 

Message 2 of 5
Jonathan001
Aspirant

Re: BRR40 Main / RBW30 - How do I extend

Sorry RBR40

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: BRR40 Main / RBW30 - How do I extend

Please post about this over in the main Orbi forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Good Luck. 

@Jonathan001 wrote:

Sorry RBR40

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: BBR40 Main / RBW30 - How do I extend

@Jonathan001 wrote:

I have a router from my internet service provider connected to a switch that connects to internet ports in the house

I have an RBR40 that is hard wired from the swich to the 1st floor of my house

I have 2 x RBW30's. One on the first floor & one on the 3rd floor that connect wirelessly to the RBR40

This does not give me the internet connectivity I require

I was thinking that I can replace the RBW30's with 2 further RBR40's or equivelants & hardwire these into the internet ports

What is the best way to scale my sysytem?

Some thoughts:

• RBW30's can be connected to electrical outlets, which are often in undesirable locations (close to the floor, behind heavy furniture, etc.)  It could be that coverage on the 2nd-3rd floor could be improved by relocating the RBW30.  Plug it into an extension cord and experiment with different locations.  (This is the "zero cost" option.  If it fails, it literally cost you nothing.)
  • If the 2nd-3rd floor is the only issue, then you could add one more RBW30 connected to the base unit.  (Not "Daisy Chained" if possible.)
    This costs about $140 (Amazon).  With the two RBW30's 25-30 apart, that should improve coverage on the 2nd-3rd floor.
  • If the service provider device is a "router", then the general advice is not to run the Orbi also as a router.
    If you really like the "router functions" of the provider device, or are unable to put it into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode, then everyone on the forum suggests putting the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.
  • It appears there was a reason not to put the Orbi between the service provider and the switch (perhaps so that the Orbi could be in the "center" of the house?)
  • It is not a good idea to add more Orbi "router models" rather than satellites.  The whole point of an Orbi system is to create a "seamless" WiFi environment where devices connect to whichever access point is best without the user doing anything.  Even if more router models are added in Access Point mode, they do not function as satellites.  So, if you are going to add devices, add satellites.
  • Alas, the cost of individual satellites is not attractive compared to the cost of "package deals". Even the least costly satellite is going to be $140 or so, whereas a new Orbi RBR50 with two RBS50 satellites is about $400.  Do the math:  spend $300 to add two satellites vs. spend $400 to get a more powerful base unit and two more powerful satellites (giving a total of four satellites).
  • Orbi satellites perform best when connected to the Orbi base unit with ethernet.  For most of us, placing ethernet cables throughout the house is inconvenient or impossible.  That means we are happy that the Orbi has a great WiFi backhaul connecting it all together.  But, we envy those fortunate to have wiring in place.  It sounds like you are one of those.

So, options for $0, $140, $400.  Plus misc. advice.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7