Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul Status Poor

edubs
Follower

Backhaul Status Poor

Total novice heree.  Just hooked up my Orbi system (RBR20).  One of my two satellites is showing Backhaul Status of Poor.  What does that mean, and what can  I do?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Backhaul Status Poor

What Firmware is currently loaded on the RBR web page at 192.168.1.1?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Poor means that the signal between the RBR and RBS isn't good, however it can still connect and work, however performance mabye degraded some. Is the RBS showing any top ring LED colors at all? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings on the RBR web page

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Backhaul Status Poor

@edubs wrote:

One of my two satellites is showing Backhaul Status of Poor.  What does that mean, and what can  I do?

As @FURRYe38 said, "Poor" means (literally) "Poor", rather than "Good".  The WiFi link between the router and the satellite is not as strong as it needs to be for best performance.  The satellite is either (a) too far away from the router, or (b) there is some obstacle interfering with the radio signal between the two, such as HVAC ducts, large metal objects (refrigerators), brick walls, etc. etc.  My son's 1920's house has an brick chimmney right up the middle that was abandoned when the house was changed from coal furnice to heating oil  This creates a "dead zone" for any WiFi device that is directly on the other side.  Move five feet, and the signal is better.

If you are happy with the performance, don't do anything.  If you are not totally happy, "somethiing has to move."  Try moving the satellite.  Sometimes only a few feet in one direction or another will improve the signal.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7