Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul at 2.4 = low bandwidth

Dooky
Aspirant

Backhaul at 2.4 = low bandwidth

Hello,

I have an Orbi RBk50 and 1 satellite since beginning of december.

Everything was working flawless (300Mbps everywhere), but today, I had a huge bandwidth drop off.

Every devices connected to the satellite had 05-15 Mbps bandwith.

After some research, I did a Telnet on the router and here what I got :

Backhaul connectype : 2.4 Ghz

Bachaul RSSI : -62

Backhaul phytxrate : 96

Backhaul phytxrate : 86

The synced satellite connection shows as "Poor" in the web interface

I rebooted the satellite and then I got :

Backhaul connectype : 5 Ghz

Bachaul RSSI : -63

Backhaul phytxrate : 1300

The synced satellite connection shows as "Good" in the web interface, and bandwith was like usual around 300 Mbps

Then half an hour later, again, the satellite switched to 2.4 Ghz with very poor bandwith. I couldn't work anymore.

My FW is v2.5.2.4

The satellite is 30 feet away from the router.

I changed the chanel to

Automatic  > 1 on 2.4Ghz

chanel 48 in 5Ghz

I acivated Beamforming

Since then I've been watching with some anxiety if the router won't switch to 2.4Ghz.

What can I do to avoid this ? I don't really care if it switch to 5Ghz to 2.4 Ghz as long as I don't have a huge bandwith loss...

Thank you very much for help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Backhaul at 2.4 = low bandwidth

The construction of your house could be attenuating the signals so that 30 ft distance may be too much at your installation.  Try moving the satellite closer or at a different room, reset it and have it find the router fresh (like you have tried before).

Also, post your firmware version. It is unlikely that you have a very old firmware on such a new system.. but might as well check.  Keep in mind that "improved backhaul" isn't mentioned in the updates release notes, it is an assumption that newer firmware will improve the performance.

The good thing is that your system is new, and you can try the latest firmware.  You are in the warranty period or could even return the device to the seller if you "brick" your system with a manual firmware update.

Message 2 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Dooky wrote:

Hello,

Everything was working flawless (300Mbps everywhere), but today, I had a huge bandwidth drop off.

Every devices connected to the satellite had 05-15 Mbps bandwith.

After some research, I did a Telnet on the router and here what I got :

Backhaul connectype : 2.4 Ghz

Bachaul RSSI : -62

Backhaul phytxrate : 96

Backhaul phytxrate : 86

The synced satellite connection shows as "Poor" in the web interface

I rebooted the satellite and then I got :

Backhaul connectype : 5 Ghz

Bachaul RSSI : -63

The synced satellite connection shows as "Good" in the web interface, and bandwith was like usual around 300 Mbps

Then half an hour later, again, the satellite switched to 2.4 Ghz with very poor bandwith. I couldn't work anymore.

My FW is v2.5.2.4

The satellite is 30 feet away from the router.

I changed the chanel to

Automatic  > 1 on 2.4Ghz

chanel 48 in 5Ghz

I acivated Beamforming

Since then I've been watching with some anxiety if the router won't switch to 2.4Ghz.

What can I do to avoid this ? I don't really care if it switch to 5Ghz to 2.4 Ghz as long as I don't have a huge bandwith loss...

Thank you very much for help.

Message 3 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

@alokeprasad 

My firmware is V2.5.2.4, I think it's the latest version.

I'm in an appartement and everything during 3 weeks without any problem...

@FURRYe38 

I didn't do any FW update since I have it. When I check the FW it says I have the lastest version : V2.5.2.4

Message 4 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Dooky wrote:

@FURRYe38 

I didn't do any FW update since I have it. When I check the FW it says I have the lastest version : V2.5.2.4

Message 5 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dooky wrote:

Good work to find the telnet command to display the backhaul status.  Yes, you care very much if the backhaul switches to 2.4G because the maximum throughput on 2.4G is 400mb, and it is shared with the "user side" 2.4G devices since there is only one 2.4G radio.

I do not see "what can change" when 5G backhaul has been working for some time.  The walls were there when the connection was "Good". Walls have no moved.  My fear is that something has disrupted the backhaul signal.  (Weather/military radars can do that.)  Do you have any tools that will show what frequency the 5G backhaul is on?  (It will appear as a WiFi system with hidden SSID.)  If the switch happens again, I would want to see if that hidden WiFi remains alive or has disappeared.

It is so seldom that someone comes on the forum with time left on Netgear's 90 days of "complimentary support".  If this happens even one more time, I would be on the phone asking for a warranty replacement.

Message 6 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Yes I have a lot of wifi around me :

2 printers and at least 3 or 4 box, but this equipments has been here for a long time and did not seem to interfere with my orbi until now...

@CrimpOn 

With what kind of tools can I use to see if the backhaul stays or disappears? Android apps or ios ?

Message 7 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dooky wrote:

With what kind of tools can I use to see if the backhaul stays or disappears? Android apps or ios ?

On Android, my personal favorite is WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan.  I also have one by Abdelrahman M. Sid.  (there are dozens more) For Windows WiFiInfoView from Nirsoft.  I believe iOS does not allow developers access to the WiFi stack to create apps like these.

Message 8 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

@CrimpOn 

@FURRYe38 

Ok I installed a wifi analyser and I did some test :

When everything were Ok in 2Ghz this morning :

Freebox-435267 is my box

Then 5 Ghz

And this afternoon it started again

And now, with the Wifi analyser I have this :

I have 2 times my Box (Freebox-435267)

In 2 Ghz :

And in 5 Ghz, same thing :

So I don't really understand whats going on...

Message 9 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

"Inline" images do not appear in posts until one of the forum moderators approves them. considering how many forums they look at, this can take hours (or days?)  Images attached (The "Browse" button in the lower left) are immediately available.

Message 10 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

@CrimpOn

ok thank you, can you join several pictures in the same post ?

Message 11 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

Message 12 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

Message 13 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

And this afternonn when it starts to mess

Message 14 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

Message 15 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, I believe several pictures can be attached to one message.

It appears to me that the backhaul channel may be impacted by radar systems. Check channel 106 for Europe in this chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

There is a long post about radar and 5G channels:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/5Ghz-channels/td-p/1538610 

(reading over it illustrates how little CrimpOn knows about networking)

Two points stand out:

1. If there is only one satellite, Daisy Chain should NOT be Enabled.
    (Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Advanced Wireless Settings, toward the bottom of the screen)
  2. There is a way using telnet to see if the backhaul channel if being affected by radar.
    Message #23.
    I have tried this on my Orbi and "got nothing", which leads me to conclude (a) the instrutions are incorrect, or (b) my Orbi has never changed backhaul channels because of radar.
Message 16 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.

Daisy chain is disabled, and I tried the comand but I have no such file or directory...

Message 17 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be time to contact Netgear and take advantage of that 90 days of "complimentary support".  Doubt that calling from (France? Belgium?) is practical.  I believe the web page when systems are registered has a link to "Contact Support". Maybe they support a Chat session?

Orbi WiFi switching to 2.4G backhaul is supposed to be a "last ditch, desperation" way to keep the system alive, NOT a part of regular operation.  When it syncs at 5G and runs for hours before suddenly switching to 2.4G, something is wrong.  If this can't be fixed, the system needs to go back.

Message 18 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

I forgot to mention, I set the strenght signal 5Ghz and 2.4Ghhz to 50% ? Can it be a track ? Even if it works during 3 weeks without any problem ?

Message 19 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dooky wrote:

I forgot to mention, I set the strenght signal 5Ghz and 2.4Ghhz to 50% ? Can it be a track ? Even if it works during 3 weeks without any problem ?

The "Transmit Power" setting affects only the "user facing" 2.4G and 5G radios.  The backhaul radio operates at full power (at least the user has no control over it).

Message 20 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

Last question, in the event that I put an 15 meters rj45 cable for example, between my orbi router and my orbi satellite, does it will bypass the backhaul radio ? The router and the satellite will communicate with the cable instead of the radio ? I don't know if I'm clear..

Because I doubt it's a hardware problem, because if it was hardware, it wouldn't work 3 weeks ans some times all day without problem. I lean more for an interference problem

@CrimpOn 

Message 21 of 32
alokeprasad
Mentor

Yes, wired connection between the router and the satellite replaces the WiFi backhaul connection between them

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

The advice here is to update the firmware, set up the satellite with wireless backhaul and then switch over to wired backhaul.

Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

The backhaul wifi ratio is still active when the RBS is ethernet connected. 

Message 23 of 32
Dooky
Aspirant

OK thank you. Does it mean you can have this kind of drop off even wired ?

Message 24 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

No, it shouldn't. Would be less unless there was near by wifi interferences. 

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7