Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul showing 50% speed

Dream_Designer
Aspirant

Backhaul showing 50% speed

Hello all, I am having 3 satellites and one router, my most far end satellite was not getting connected, so I decided to backhaul just one satellite , after speed test I found that it's showing 50% of the actual speed coming. from main orbi router R50 we are running on fiber 300 mbps 

Please suggest what setting should i enable to bring the original speed to backhauled satellite 

my second question is it alright to connect just one satellite or is it need to be connected to all by ethernet?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Backhaul showing 50% speed

You can certainly do ethernet backhaul:
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 9
Dream_Designer
Aspirant

Thanks 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@2.4 is Auto  and 5ghz is 48  before I set to manual can you explain what does it mean and what is the meaning of unused channel?

Nearby around 8 wifi connections while sitting at home if i search for wifi it get to see 4 wifi names but I dont understand how is this going to effect us as they are not using our wifi 

our house is Three floors 3500 sq ft each floor  here is the map

top floor has main router and one satellite covering almost the complete area

medium floor = parking with 8 ft height has one satellite which is sufficient for that desired area

Basement = one satellite wired 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

from where I can disable these?

Message 3 of 9
Dream_Designer
Aspirant

Today I tried to hardwire one of the. satellite to another satellite around 40 ft distance it was showing 10% of the speed

here is my backhaul connection map cat6

Internet - OrbiR50 

R-50 - Sat 1 Distance - 50 ft Speed - 50% of actual ( 300 mbps fiber) 

R-50- Sat 2 Distance 30 ft Speed - 100% of actual 

Sat2-  Sat 3 Distance 50 ft Speed - 10% of actual 

Sat2 - sat 4 Dsitance 30 ft Speed 30% of actual 

Am i. doing wrong connecting this way ? or. any setting which i need to check ?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You might bring the distance with Sat1 and 3 closer. 30 feet seems to be good for your envinroment. 

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Dream_Designer wrote:

Today I tried to hardwire one of the. satellite to another satellite around 40 ft distance it was showing 10% of the speed

here is my backhaul connection map cat6

Internet - OrbiR50 

R-50 - Sat 1 Distance - 50 ft Speed - 50% of actual ( 300 mbps fiber) 

R-50- Sat 2 Distance 30 ft Speed - 100% of actual 

Sat2-  Sat 3 Distance 50 ft Speed - 10% of actual 

Sat2 - sat 4 Dsitance 30 ft Speed 30% of actual 

Am i. doing wrong connecting this way ? or. any setting which i need to check ?

what firmware are you running?

Message 6 of 9
Dream_Designer
Aspirant

Firmware Version V2.5.1.8 

Message 7 of 9
Dream_Designer
Aspirant

Since iT backhaul all wires are already grounded inside walls cannot change the distance is there any other war around ?

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Dream_Designer wrote:

Firmware Version V2.5.1.8 

That's your problem 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos