Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backhaul status “config sync”

Duncan9988
Aspirant

Backhaul status “config sync”

I bought 2 additional satellites, setup was easy, all was fine and then my original satellite from the kit now shows as Amber in the iOS App and has a Backhaul Status of Config Sync. I have tried multiple restarts, the satellite is well within range and almost a clear line of site to the main router. Devices are connected to it and are accessible through the network so I know there is 2way communication, also if I access that satellites webUI it shows as blue on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz coming in to the satellite and blue for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz coming out of the satellite (although the 2.4Ghz says no connection which I don’t understand as the iOS app quite clearly shows a 2.4Ghz device connected to it) . I have no idea what has caused this, what it means or how to fix it so some help would be appreciated.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the top led on each satellite after you set them up turn ON BLUE? 

Router and satellites all using same version of FW? 

Whats the distances between the satellites and router? 30 feet is a starting point minimum...

Message 2 of 20
Ulairi
Luminary

@Duncan9988 wrote:
I bought 2 additional satellites, setup was easy, all was fine and then my original satellite from the kit now shows as Amber in the iOS App and has a Backhaul Status of Config Sync. I have tried multiple restarts, the satellite is well within range and almost a clear line of site to the main router. Devices are connected to it and are accessible through the network so I know there is 2way communication, also if I access that satellites webUI it shows as blue on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz coming in to the satellite and blue for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz coming out of the satellite (although the 2.4Ghz says no connection which I don’t understand as the iOS app quite clearly shows a 2.4Ghz device connected to it) . I have no idea what has caused this, what it means or how to fix it so some help would be appreciated.

Hi - I had exaxctly the same problem last night when attempting to set up a new RBS50 satellite with my existing RBK50 kit. Three hours of hassles before I got it resolved.  

Cutting a very long story short, you probably need to update the firmware on the new satellite(s).  However, you can't do this via the main Router page ("Advanced", "Administration","Firmware") because the router doesn't have stable comms with the satellite.  What you need to do is go into "Basic", "connected devices" and get the IP address for the satellite, then type that into the address bar of your browser and log directly into the satellite's own admin pages.  From there, there is the feature to upload the new firware from your computer (you'll need to first download it from the Netgear site and unzip it ready for upload).

It was quite a hassle.  The satellite had a much earlier version and the current firmware (v 2.1.4.16) wouldn't initially load (I got an error telling me that the firmware didn't apply to this model of satellitte - which was utter BS) and I had to load an earlier version that I had saved on the computer. But after doing this, the satellitte rebooted and obviously auto loaded the current version and it all worked okay after that.

Good luck.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 20
Duncan9988
Aspirant

The router and all satelites are currently on the most recent FW version (v2.1.4.16) this Backhaul status change only happened a few days ago, prior to that it was working fine, that is what has confused me so much :s

Message 4 of 20
Ulairi
Luminary

Have you tried a factory reset? Hold the reset button down for at least three seconds until the power led turns amber.  You'll need to set the entire system up again from scratch, but this often clears out issues.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would set up IP address reservations ON the router for the satellite(s) as you get them added and installed after the factory reset...

Message 6 of 20
Nation1989
Tutor

Has anyone figured this out. I have tried everthing I can think of

Rebooted Satelite

Rebooted Router

Factory Reset Satelite(Don't think this works because it tries to connect again even after I factory reset the satelite and delete it from the router)

Rolled Firmware back to to the last 4 versions and then back to most current.

Connection if wired is good and stable

Tried to go back to wireless connection between router and satelite and backhaul status goes back to "Config Sync"

Turned off Daisy Chain(I have a wheel and spoke setup)

Called Tech Support and they had me 

Generate Backhual Password in Advanced Settings (NO GO)

Reset Satelite (NO GO)

Hardwired Satelite (WORKS! No Surprise)

Run Setup Wizard (Did not detect Seond Satelite)

Told to Monitor and call back if they do not connect.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 7 of 20
Nation1989
Tutor

Oh and adding a reservation did not help either.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 20
swieder
Tutor

I get a "Config Sync" error on backhaul status while the Satellite is hard wired and I change a cable on the  RBR40.  To correct this I have to unplug the Ethernet cable on the Satellite, let it connect the Backhaul via WiFi and than reattach the cable.

This only happens with one of the Satellites making me wonder if it is defective. 

How is NetGear on swapping out potentially bad HW?  Do they offer advanced replacements or quick turn around on return to replace?

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support for RMA. I believe they only swap out the entire system...Ask and see.

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

@swieder wrote:

I get a "Config Sync" error on backhaul status while the Satellite is hard wired and I change a cable on the  RBR40.  To correct this I have to unplug the Ethernet cable on the Satellite, let it connect the Backhaul via WiFi and than reattach the cable.

This only happens with one of the Satellites making me wonder if it is defective. 

How is NetGear on swapping out potentially bad HW?  Do they offer advanced replacements or quick turn around on return to replace?

Message 10 of 20
swieder
Tutor

Both Satellites are now showing Wired and Connection=Good.

One Satellite had to be factory reset, and powered up near the AP.  Initially wireless and than wired.  After it was all sync'd than I moved it back to the basement, wired it up and Connection=Good.

The second Satellite was trickier.  Initially I had it connected to an old MI424WR-Gen3I Fios Router that I configured to be a MOCA adapter.  Broadband, Routing and WiFi were all off.  I have other devices (Roku and Onkyo receiver) hooked up to it via Ethernet and they  work fine.  The Orbi Satellite would show as "Config Sync" or ignore the wire and connect via 5G.  I moved the Satellite to the other end of the floor and wired it via another drop that was being used for my Vz 4G Network Extender.  I plug the Net Ext into the 2nd Orbi Sat LAN port and voila!  Everything looks good now.

I may have a setting wrong on the "MoCA adapter" or the Orbi Sat may just not like MoCA.  Roku works fine via an Ethernet cable, but not the Orbi Sat.  Be nice to fugure this out.  For now my new set up is working, so going to leave it alone.

I hope this helps other FiOS users.  Tthings look stable.  My AP Ring is still Magenta, but that seems to be cuz I am using the LAN port for my Internet connection and not the yellow one. 

I would like to get my hands on the Beta 2.2 FW.  I applied via the Forum post, but no reply yet.  Any know where I could "find" 2.2 FW?

I am using the RBR40 and two RBS20 (why is this not listed inthe Model pull down list?)

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, having the satellite connected to the other router will not work, nor this MoCA adapter. Satellites need to be directly connected to the Orbi router or thru a NON Managed LAN switch for them to work properly. 

Sounds like your making progress...

@swieder wrote:

One Satellite had to be factory reset, and powered up near the AP.  Initially wireless and than wired.  After it was all sync'd than I moved it back to the basement, wired it up and Connection=Good.

The second Satellite was trickier.  Initially I had it connected to an old MI424WR-Gen3I Fios Router that I configured to be a MOCA adapter.  Broadband, Routing and WiFi were all off.  I have other devices (Roku and Onkyo receiver) hooked up to it via Ethernet and they  work fine.  The Orbi Satellite would show as "Config Sync" or ignore the wire and connect via 5G.  I moved the Satellite to the other end of the floor and wired it via another drop that was being used for my Vz 4G Network Extender.  I plug the Net Ext into the 2nd Orbi Sat LAN port and voila!  Everything looks good now.

I may have a setting wrong on the "MoCA adapter" or the Orbi Sat may just not like MoCA.  Roku works fine via an Ethernet cable, but not the Orbi Sat.  Be nice to fugure this out.  For now my new set up is working, so going to leave it alone.

I hope this helps other FiOS users.  Tthings look stable.  My AP Ring is still Magenta, but that seems to be cuz I am using the LAN port for my Internet connection and not the yellow one. 

I would like to get my hands on the Beta 2.2 FW.  I applied via the Forum post, but no reply yet.  Any know where I could "find" 2.2 FW?

I am using the RBR40 and two RBS20 (why is this not listed inthe Model pull down list?)

Message 12 of 20
Nation1989
Tutor

Yes I finally got this fixed. After hours on the phone with TS. They replaced the router. Took a week to get the new one one and I only got the new quickly because and I paid the $16.90 to ship a new one before I sent back the old back. So... I wouldn’t recommend NG to anyone after this experience.
Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on your progress and if you get a hold of newer FW and your experiences with it.

@swieder wrote:

Message 14 of 20
warrior101
Aspirant

Were you able to fix your issue by getting a replacement Router unit? Did you keep the original Satellites?

Message 15 of 20
Nation1989
Tutor

I kept the original satellite and everything has been working fine since the new router was installed.

Message 16 of 20
warrior101
Aspirant

Interesting. I've been having the same issue and have updated to the latest firmware with no luck of it going away. Currently trying to reach ot to NG Support.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you downloaded and manually installed the FW files on your system, factory reset then setup from scratch? 

@warrior101 wrote:

Interesting. I've been having the same issue and have updated to the latest firmware with no luck of it going away. Currently trying to reach ot to NG Support.

Message 18 of 20
warrior101
Aspirant

Just performed a Factory Reset, and after going though the inital setup, the status stayed at Good.

The Statellite IP address was set to 10.0.0.3.

Im using AT&T's provided Router/Gateway, so I went into the Orbi settings, changed Orbi to AP Mode.

The Satellite IP changed to 192.168.1.95 (prompt advised it was assigned by the Router/Gateway)

The Backhaul status is now back to "Config Sync".

I believe I have narrowed down what is causing that status.

Would reverting back to Router Mode, have any adverse effects when behind my ISP provided Router/Gateway?

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@warrior101 wrote:

Just performed a Factory Reset, and after going though the inital setup, the status stayed at Good.

The Statellite IP address was set to 10.0.0.3.

Im using AT&T's provided Router/Gateway, so I went into the Orbi settings, changed Orbi to AP Mode.

The Satellite IP changed to 192.168.1.95 (prompt advised it was assigned by the Router/Gateway)

The Backhaul status is now back to "Config Sync".

I believe I have narrowed down what is causing that status.

Would reverting back to Router Mode, have any adverse effects when behind my ISP provided Router/Gateway?

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7