Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backhaul with mixed satellites / Question about web/gui admin.

MarkBuran
Follower

Backhaul with mixed satellites / Question about web/gui admin.

Hello. I bought a set used that included an RBK52 (RBR50&RBS50), RBS50Y, & 2 RBW30. I don't need all these satellites for my home, but it was a GREAT deal so I grabbed it. Trying to figure out what to use and where in my 3800sf single story home. I also have another RBK52 that I am going to give my sister and she has a larger house with 3 floors, so she will likely need another satellite (at least). I have searched and read everything I could find on the subject of backhaul speeds in a mixed satellite configuration, but have not found an answer. 

So to my question. If I use an RBR50, RBS50, and one RBW30, will the RBW30 affect the backhaul speed of my entire mesh? I understand that it would/could in a daisy chain configuration, but I am using a star config (already unchecked daisy chain). Does the mere act of connecting one AC2200 unit to an AC3000 router reduce the backhaul of all other satellites in the system? That doesn't make sense logically, but it seems that is what most people said/commented. Anyone know definitively?

Also...is there something wrong with the Web/Browser/GUI/orbilogin interface? It is really slow to register changes with the satellites. I turned off 2 different satellites while I was testing the new system. The GUI showed both as connected still. Then the RBW30 properly showed disconnected, but the RBS50Y showed it as connected for a good 5 minutes more. The android app properly showed the RBW30 & RBS50Y as disconnected the entire time, so it seems as if the system knew that it was/they were off. Seems strange that they would report different data.

All devices have been updated to the most current firmware. Using current orbi app on a Note 8 w/ android v9. Laptop with current Win10 using chrome.

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

You may not need but just 1 RBS in a size home like that. I have the same RBK50 system in a 5000sq ft home and use just 1 RBS. Plenty of wifi coverage.The RBWs will only connect at 866Mbps and will not effect the RBS50s wireless back haul. I personally would not use them unless really needed for coverage. The RBSY would be good outside someplace if you need it. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Sometimes the UI takes a bit to update and is not immediate on some changes. 

Message 2 of 8
Pesto242
Star

Furrye38 just want to verify how did you find out that the backup will not be affected on the rbr50 if an rbw30 is used at the same time? I have a awkward area that I want to use the 30 on that is for am outside enclosure. I got a 30 at no cost.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The only thing that the RBW30 doesn't support is 1733Mbps on the backhaul:

(866+866+400Mbps)†

So the connection rate of the RBW30 to the RBR or an RBS if daisy chained would be the connection rate on the backhaul. 

@Pesto242 wrote:
Furrye38 just want to verify how did you find out that the backup will not be affected on the rbr50 if an rbw30 is used at the same time? I have a awkward area that I want to use the 30 on that is for am outside enclosure. I got a 30 at no cost.

Message 4 of 8
Pesto242
Star

That did not actually answer the question. Yes the RBW30 has a limited backhaul, but I have found nothing that says it does or does not affect the backhaul of RBS50 to an RBR50 when you have an additional RBW30 in use (not Daisy chained).

However, this weekend I tried adding the RBW30 to my current setup and it completely fried my stable environment. What I can say is definitely DO NOT use an RBW30 with any 50 equipment. I had to actually resort to full factory reset to get my environment stable. Even after I removed the 30 and tried to let it settle for an hour my performance in the environment was horrible.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a full power down of the Orbi system for 30 seonds then back on to see if it returned to a stable state before resorting to a factory reset? 

Were you able to get the RBW fully FW updated and tested with the Orbi system? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

It's been a mixed bag with users posting about the RBW. I would say, if it doesn't work don't use it. If it does work and the system is stable, then use it. I would recommend keeping with same RBS series for the 50 series though if possible. However sometimes users may not be able to find or afford another RBS50. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 8
Pesto242
Star

Yes, I tried all the standard troubleshooting items, it was on the newest firmware, and I tried my RBW30 only 10 feet in the same room. The RBW30 I have tried this multiple times over two years since I got the RBW30, and no matter what firmware it still does not work.

This product should be removed from compatability list for anything other than it's paired router. I know for a fact it will only cause all other Orbi systems performance to become extremly slow. The "mixed bag" you mention is just other users not realizing how much performance they are losing with the RBW30 installed, if they were to do testing they would see a 50%+ drop in performance using it. I could download between my NAS and SSD at almost 450Mb and with the RBW (not even connected to the RBW) it dropped to around 150Mb with the exact same test.

So no it should not be utilized at all.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7