Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad iOS/Apple Connectivity (solved) and Slow Speeds - Orbi RBR40 - FW v 1.10.1.2

jdubyas
Tutor

Bad iOS/Apple Connectivity (solved) and Slow Speeds - Orbi RBR40 - FW v 1.10.1.2

I have owned the Orbi RBR40 home wifi system for approximately 3 weeks. Within the first 30 seconds of being connected I ran a speed test and it showed 150mbps up/down immediately after a ran a subsequent speed test which showed 20 mbps up/down. Since then, all speedtests across all wireless devices run between 5 mbps and 30 mbps up/down. Averaging about 20 mbps. Furthermore it seems like all of my apple devices that were not connected to the wireless network the very first time the Orbi was plugged in were unable to connect to the Orbi system when it was in router mode. I reset the Orbi, changed the SSID, tried connecting to a guest network, and toggled every single setting in order to resolve the issue. Finally, upon consulting these message boards, I took the advice here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/FINALLY-got-the-ORBI-not-to-drop-connection/td-p/1223334  and changed my Orbi from Router to AP mode and these apple devices finally connected. At this point I guess I am comfortable not using the Router functions of the Orbi device, but this is still disappointing. Even after getting the apple devices to connect, I am still averaging about 20 mbps up/down accross my wireless devices. My average speeds are as follows:

Wired Straight to ATT Fiber Router: avg 800 mbps up/down, peak around 960 mbps

Wired Straight to Orbi Main Hub: avg. 600 mbps up, 750 mbps down , peak around 700 mbps up and 900 mbps down

Wired Straight to Orbi Satellite: avg. 200 up/down, peak around 300 mbps up/down

Wireless Avg: 20 mbps up/down, peak around 30 mbps up/down

I think that the loss between Router and main hub is expected (actually probably pretty good)

The loss from Hub to Satellite seems a little extreme, but I would reluctantly believe that this is normal

The loss from hub/satellite to wireless device cannot be right and I don't know what the cause is.

Again, I have toggled every setting on these devices and performed a Wireless Analysis on Mac to determine their suggested channels (2.4: 6,2; 5.4: 44). I am currently running 2.4 on channel 2 and 5.4 on channel 44, though I have toggled through all of them and havent noticed any significant difference.

The wireless functionality on my ATT modem/router combo is disabled including all broadcasting functionality

Also, i have enabled Beamforming and MUMIMO but don't notice any difference one way or another on the effect on speed.

Finally, I initially purchased a router/1 satellite system and installed this, but was not getting the signal strength throughout my house. I acknowledge that this was my fault because I intentionally placed the satellite in an unrecommended location. Since then I purchased a third satellite and placed it in across the house from my router and dropped the power on each band down to 25%. I have a smaller house and was interested in getting the "hardwired" satellite functionality in my home office (close to the router). My speed issues existed prior to adding the additional satellite and since. Even with the power cut to 25% I get strong coverage throughout my home and at a consistent average speed of 20 mbps up/down. Just to make sure interference was not my problem i have run tests of each satellite independently and the router alone. Still looking at 20 mpbs up/down.

If there are any suggestions on how to regain some of my speed I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

Message 1 of 22
samsamsamsam
Guide

Re: Bad iOS/Apple Connectivity (solved) and Slow Speeds - Orbi RBR40 - FW v 1.10.1.2

I'm not criticising you jdubyas, thank you taking the time to write up your workaround. 

What I don't understand is why this is marked as SOLVED. Not using a router as a router is not exactly a solution.

Message 2 of 22
MachineLearner
Apprentice

I would guess that if you replace your ATT router with a simple cable modem, and use the primary Orbi as your router (as it is designed to be), you would get better performance.   It is undoubtedly more complicated to get the settings right with 2 routers trying to do what they do.  We have our coax cable line in to an Arris SB 6190 cable modem with ethernet cable direct to the Orbi router, and are getting very consistent performance all over, with all default settings on the Orbi. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 22
miya5400
Initiate

I am having similar issues. After spending a lot of time with the tech support, I was informed that Netgear engineers are working on this issue as their latest firmware update has a bug. They are aware and are working to solve it. 

This is an expensive router and I am not quite disappointed about the delay in getting this taken care of. I am now back to using my network provider wireless and returning the Orbi device.

Message 4 of 22
jdubyas
Tutor

I agree this is annoying. Do they recognize the throttling of speed as an issue - or are you referencing to the connectivity to OS devices?
Message 5 of 22
MachineLearner
Apprentice

jdubyas,

If you want / need to continue to use your ATT fiber router, wouldn't you be better off with simple wireless access points, rather than a 2nd router and satellite?  Can you still return the Orbi?  Looks like you have the option of running ethernet cable running to your Orbi satellite, based on your initial write-up.  If you can connect the WAPs to your ATT router via ethernet cable, you coud go with top-rated Unifi wireless access points and probably get higher performance at less cost. 

js

Message 6 of 22
miya5400
Initiate

Both connectivity of the MAC OS starting with Yosemite and slow speed. I am getting very slow speeds on my internet from Orbi unless I am right next to the router!

Message 7 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello miya5400

Have you ran updates on your MAC devices?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 22
MachineLearner
Apprentice

Mac OS X Yosemite users have had lots of wifi connectivity issues with non-Apple routers.  Upgrade to OS X Sierra (current version is 10.12.5).

Message 9 of 22
jdubyas
Tutor

Fully updated on all devices.
Message 10 of 22
MachineLearner
Apprentice

Sorry, the update suggestion was for miya5400, who mentioned Yosemite running on their Mac.  It seems clear there are other issues for some, but it makes sense to knock out at least one known problem.  

Message 11 of 22
jdubyas
Tutor

I folded and processed the return of my Orbi system today. It's a shame, I was really excited about this product but these issues ended up being too much of a pain to deal with.
Message 12 of 22
ArtLee
Apprentice

Dunno if you tried this... and now that you've sent your Orbi back it may not make a diff. But, you might get answers in the ATT Forum on dslreports.com in the future. 

Message 13 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you have a MAC are you still seeing slow speeds or connectivity issues on the latest firmware 1.11? I know we made some fixes for that issue in this latest release.

DarrenM

Message 14 of 22
ArtLee
Apprentice

Looks to me like the OP has returned his Orbi. My own personal problem was apparently solved with the 1.11.0.20 update. Or not. I'll see. Personally, I am disappointed. I thought I was buying a stable system. I'll give it a few more days. BestBuy gives me 14 days for free return.

Message 15 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ArtLee

What are the issues that you are having? we do have a beta firmware for wireless disconnects on the RBR50 units.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 22
ArtLee
Apprentice

Darren, I really didn't mean to hijack this thread. I opened a thread last night where I outlined my issue. Art

Message 17 of 22
chunster
Aspirant

With the latest 1.11.0.20 firmware, my data throughput speeds are fine but when it comes specifically to Facebook on iOS devices, it's very slow. Many times, image take a long time to load. Facebook on the MacBook Pro loads up fine.

Message 18 of 22
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@ArtLee..... I echo your comment regarding the new Firmware.  I suspect like many on this forum you have experienced the issues of wild variations in speed, random signal drops and loss of internet connectivity (those being the vast majority).  I have been back and forth with Tech Support since a week after I bought this in late April.  The window for returning to Amazon for a refund closed but the granted me an exception because I have spent so much time trying to resolve all the issues stated above.  Having just returned from vacation, I was prepared to simply return the system and be done with it.  Much to my surprise, it has been extremely stable on V 1.11.0.20 to a point where it actually works as advertized.  I have 125Mbs cable internet service and I am consistently getting 110-120Mbs (Download) speeds whether near the main router or the satellite.  I am giving it this week to see if this is the final fix many of us have been waiting for.  If not, it goes back.  Good luck to you!

Message 19 of 22
ArtLee
Apprentice

I think the only problem I have left after this update is the backhaul dropping, then causing sync failures, which end up with poor speed at the far end of the house. I have just moved the satellite to the last possible position and it it loses sync again, it's back to BestBuy still inside the return period. Glad its working for you. Art

Message 20 of 22
Avster2
Aspirant

I think I solved the iPhone connectivity problem, but time will tell. Here's what to do:

1) settings, cellular, scroll all the way down to the bottom after all the apps, turn off the Wi-fi assist.

2) settings, privacy, location services, scroll all the way to the bottom, click on system services, scroll to the bottom and turn off wi-fi networking.
Message 21 of 22
ArtLee
Apprentice

@Avster2 wrote:
I think I solved the iPhone connectivity problem, but time will tell. Here's what to do:

1) settings, cellular, scroll all the way down to the bottom after all the apps, turn off the Wi-fi assist.

2) settings, privacy, location services, scroll all the way to the bottom, click on system services, scroll to the bottom and turn off wi-fi networking.

Yeah, I had to do that, too. Not just with Orbi, but I had done it with my old Apple Extreme and Express. Never got those two services to work well... 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7