Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bandwidth/Picture Resolution fade in and out

NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

Bandwidth/Picture Resolution fade in and out

Not sure of the model...router is RBR40...triband. No questions seem to be quite like my issue. The Orbi Mesh is awesome but still has a issue I would like to understand.

When watching TV, periodically the picture fuzzes out...loses resolution...but connection with internet is still OK and strong. After 10 seconds, picture snaps back to full resolution. Seems like a bandwidth issue. However, internet connection is still about 200MBS and strong but fading still occurs abruptly about every hour, sometimes more and sometimes less. TV has clear shot at router....20ft away. Nothing else in system is forcing a beam pointing change.

Enabling implicit beam forming does nothing to help or hurt. Fast roaming is disabled. Have two satellites and main router and no daisy chaining.

Any ideas what may be going on. While issue is annoying to me, my wife sometimes gets frozen out on Zoom meetings, too, even if no other devices (tv, computers) are accessing the network.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Bandwidth/Picture Resolution fade in and out

Ask the ISP about disabling the wifi radios on the ISP modem. Most most have this ability to disable there radios. 

Sounds like you have WAY too much wifi signals running about and is causing problems. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This  sounds like something is interfering with the WiFi signal intermittantly.  It would be useful to know if the tv and computer are connected to the Orbi WiFi at 2.4G or at 5G.  2.4G is susceptable to interference from a lot of things (microwave ovens, certain cordless phones,).

Message 2 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

As far as I know, the Orbi is using the 5ghz band. Unless there is something in my modem or in the Orbi router that lets the 2.4mhz signal mix with the 5ghz band. Maybe the backhaul band is being corrupted somehow, since it is at a lower frequency. Maybe some strong neighbor's network is interferring. I have a bunch of wifi signals available from neighbors but they are all encrypted. I am out of my depth on this topic.

OldGuy

Message 3 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi systems create two WiFi networks: one in the 2.4G band and one in the 5G band. They both have the same "name" (SSID) and password.

The Orbi 'app' or the Orbi web interface Attached Devices display will indicate which of the bands each device has chosen. (the device is in charge of how to connect).

Message 4 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

I made some tests with using the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and using the Mesh networks. For the smart tv, all give a good picture but the 5ghz and mesh show the periodic resolution issues. The TV picture looks sharp with all three networks but sharpest with 5ghz and the mesh networks. I moved a wireless phone base to a new location and have started to watch the TV for the issue, in case the backhaul frequency was being compromised.

How does orbi know which fequency to use if a device can recieve either modem network frequency? It seems as if Orbi is periodically testing the 2.4ghz band and then reverting back to the 5ghz band. How does it know which is best? If there is a device on the 5ghz band and the another device is on the mesh network, is the beam forming function compomised?

I will continue to monitor the situation for a while to see if any of my manipulations have an effects.

Regards,

OldGuy

Message 5 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@NewbyOldguy wrote:

I made some tests with using the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and using the Mesh networks. For the smart tv, all give a good picture but the 5ghz and mesh show the periodic resolution issues. The TV picture looks sharp with all three networks but sharpest with 5ghz and the mesh networks. I moved a wireless phone base to a new location and have started to watch the TV for the issue, in case the backhaul frequency was being compromised.

This gives the impression that there is more than one WiFi network in the house.  Is there?

@NewbyOldguy wrote:

How does orbi know which fequency to use if a device can recieve either modem network frequency? It seems as if Orbi is periodically testing the 2.4ghz band and then reverting back to the 5ghz band.

The Orbi system creates two WiFi networks, one on a channel in the 2.4G band and one on a channel in the 5G band. They are active at the same time and both use the same WiFi name and password. When a device powers on, it looks at the available WiFi networks, compares their capabilities with its own capabilities, and chooses which access point to use and which channel to use.  The device chooses, not the Orbi.

Some devices have only a 2.4G radio chip and can only detect and connect to the 2.4G channel.  Other devices have radios that can detect and connect to both frequencies.  I suggested looking at the Orbi Attached Devices display (or the Orbi 'app' Connected Devices) to see which connection the TV and computer have chosen to use.

Message 6 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

My  cable modem supplies a dual band wireless network. The orbi router is attached by cable to the output of the modem and the orbi plus satellites forms the mesh which has a dual-freqency capable network. So, yes, I have three simultaneous wireless networks. I would have to suppress the wireless capabilities of the modem to have only the mesh. I don't think that is how the instructions for setting up the mesh are laid out. I have no way of suppressing the two cable modem wireless networks other than to surround the modem with a Faraday cage. At this point the Orbi app shows all three networks with strong signals everywhere I need to attach a device to the network. On network speed tests, I get a lot of variability from location to location and from time to time...re-tests over short and long time periods. My internet provider may be partially or completely at fault for the issues I am experiencing...but I have no way of testing that hypothesis.

Each device is set to access one of the three wireless networks. Maybe all devices should be set to access the mess network, but I have mixed the specific network access among the devices as well as set all devices to access one of the networks. The issue with the TV is present on the 5ghz and the mess network settings regardless of the mixing or matching of the networks across devices.

The resolution issue is relatively new. I had been using 4k Firesticks before switching to the smart TV internal wireless, but I switched because the Firestick was having buffering issues as well as the resolution issues. But, by disconnecting the firesticks, I still have the resolution issue but without the constant buffering. 

I am looking for the perfect setup without dead spots and dropouts and without buffering and resolution issues. My cable system supplies a 200MHZ bandwidth and enough power to cover my 3000 sq ft home and the mesh has eliminated dead or weak spots, but not by a lot.

Sorry for the verbosity. 

Regards,

OldGuy

Message 7 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@NewbyOldguy wrote:

I have no way of suppressing the two cable modem wireless networks other than to surround the modem with a Faraday cage.

I called my cable company tech support and had them turn off the WiFi on my cable box.  Many cable companies allow access to their router for the purpose of changing the WiFi 'name' (SSID) and password and to do things like open ports.  The old days when there were actual buttons on the box to control 2.4G and 5G WiFi seem to be long gone.  If you can provide the specific model number of the cable device, we might be able to find the user manual on line.

There are strong opinions regarding the wisdom of having competing WiFi networks in one house.  At the very least, it would be better to have the 2.4G WiFi on different channels. (Although modern WiFi systems scan the 2.4G band periodically and switch channels.)  I am of the opinion that "I don't know." Logic says only one WiFi should be 'better'. But, people operate WiFii in the middle of a sea of competing WiFi networks (such as in apartment buildings).

If the tv resolution problem occurs on the cable system WiFi, that argues against the Orbi causing the problem.  If you call the cable system to ask, "Why is my tv resolution changing? (or my 4K Firestick buffering), I would not mention the Orbi.  "Well, there's your problem. Take that thing out!!!"  To be fair to the cable system, I would probably reproduce the problem with the Orbi WiFi switch off.  If it happens with no Orbi at all, then it's obviosly the cable company's problem.

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask the ISP about disabling the wifi radios on the ISP modem. Most most have this ability to disable there radios. 

Sounds like you have WAY too much wifi signals running about and is causing problems. 

Message 9 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

I will give that a try. I will also, as was suggested, turn Orbi off and see what happens to the picture.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stay tuned for a follow up on results.

OldGuy

Message 10 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

Good suggestions. I will follow up on them and feedback the results.

Thanks for the input.

OldGuy

Message 11 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

Seems like things are more complicated than I thought. My provider turned off the wi fi on my modem and I only have the Orbi mesh active. Works for my computers very well but the TVs will not connect to the mesh now, though they did before. I had to go back to the Firesticks to connect the TVs to the mesh network. The fading of the pictures is still there but less pronouncedd.

Now I also see some multipath that is blurring edges. Is it possible that the Orbi router and satellites are not being completely synched via beam forming? This use to be an issue with TVs with external antennas, but cable and digital elimiated this issue. In a way, the firesticks are like external antennas and the multiple Orbi signals may not be totally cancelled.

Thoughts??

OldGuy

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like something with these firesticks maybe causing problems. Orbi would not be causing video display issues. If anything the stick may just disconnect from wifi is something was not working right. 

Does this happpen with just one firestick online and all other wifi devices turned off? 
Test with the RBS turned off as well.

Contact Amazon and ask them if they have any known infornation about this fade in and out when using there sticks...

Is the RBR using 40Mhz only channel width? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 13 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seems like something with these firesticks maybe causing problems. Orbi would not be causing video display issues. If anything the stick may just disconnect from wifi is something was not working right. Yes, there are issues, especially with ads and commercials. The Firesticks "hang" and often have to be rebooted, which is why I moved to the internal wifi in the smart TV. Worked very well except for the annoying fading issues.

Does this happpen with just one firestick online and all other wifi devices turned off?  All others are off-line.
Test with the RBS turned off as well. If the RBS is turned off I have no internet.

Contact Amazon and ask them if they have any known infornation about this fade in and out when using there sticks...Will do so.

Is the RBR using 40Mhz only channel width? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings  The only checkbox is for the 20/40 Mhz widths to coexist. There is no check for just setting up the 40Mhz setting...unless that is the default if the box is not checked.

The permutations of using and not using the firestick is not being enabled, since the smart TV does not connect to the Mesh network since I removed the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz networks from the wireless router from the ISP. Not sure what is going on since I have not found any discussions of the TV not connecting to a network it detects, even when it did so before. Something else has inadvertently changed.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

OldGuy

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, removing the check mark then apply the change sets 40Mhz only...

Message 15 of 16
NewbyOldguy
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. I have made most of the mods to my setup and have let the Orbi system operate for a couple of days. The system now seems to be stable...but I am still back to the Firesticks. Have not solved the issue of the Smart TV no longer connecting to the mesh network as it had before. The backhaul bandwidth change to 40Mhz and eliminating the two competing modem wireless networks seems to have resolved the conflicts that were impacting the Orbi mesh network.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

OldGuy

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7