Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bandwidth monitoring by device for Orbi

Arius1
Guide

Bandwidth monitoring by device for Orbi

I'm coming from Google Wifi and could see how much bandwidth each device used per day, week and month.  I can't seem to find that option in the Oribi system with firmware 2.1.4.10.  It looks like it used to be there but not anymore?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
budy
Luminary

Betreff: Bandwidth monitoring by device for Orbi

Any kind of traffic-metering is only available in router mode. If the Orbi runs in AP mode, there actually zero traffic monitoring. Since I am running my Orbi an AP mode, I never even had a chance to look what the Orbi has in stock for that, but it doesn't seem to be too much, anyway.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 16
Arius1
Guide

Betreff: Bandwidth monitoring by device for Orbi

I'm in router mode. On the phone app and logging on to pc it shows overall usage but not per device from what I can see. Older firmware used to have an option from older posts I saw.
Message 3 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Betreff: Bandwidth monitoring by device for Orbi

Orbi can only show overall use not per device.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 16
Arius1
Guide

Thanks DarrenM.  It seems like it used to maybe?  Just not sure why they wouldn't put that in there.

Message 5 of 16
Adventuneer
Tutor

Netgear, please enable per device traffic monitoring for Orbi, this is important when troubleshooting or checking for infected computers or other issues.  I have had this ability in all other routers I've had in the past but am disappointed it does not exist with my new Orbi RBK53 network.  Thanks

Message 6 of 16
Beanbrown
Tutor

Been troubleshooting disconnects. Bumped internet speeds from 25 to 75 which helps a TON, but cant figure out what is taking up all that bandwidth
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Might enable traffic meter. 

I would disable ALL devices. Then enable one device at time and see if you notice any bandwidth issue...

Check for streamers or downloaders or any malware on your PCs if there is any. 

Message 8 of 16
zaq_hack
Guide

Look, the archaic "disconnect everything and then find the hog" method doesn't work in 2018. @netgear needs to get their crap together and provide this feature. This is actually infuriating. I have nearly 30 connected devices spanning 2 properties (router + sat). Our home, our rental property, our 2 renters, 4 kids, ourselves, and that's not to mention visitors. I can't just go to every phone, xbox, computer, smart TV, thermostat, and tablet and shut it off until I find the offender.

Orbi is a "premium device" even if considered SOHO. I don't consider this a "premium feature" in 2018. I'm already over my 1 Terabyte/month with Comcast, and I NEED TO KNOW what is sucking up the bandwidth. Come on, @netgear. Don't make us go elsewhere for this.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can post this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

@zaq_hack wrote:

Look, the archaic "disconnect everything and then find the hog" method doesn't work in 2018. @netgear needs to get their crap together and provide this feature. This is actually infuriating. I have nearly 30 connected devices spanning 2 properties (router + sat). Our home, our rental property, our 2 renters, 4 kids, ourselves, and that's not to mention visitors. I can't just go to every phone, xbox, computer, smart TV, thermostat, and tablet and shut it off until I find the offender.

Orbi is a "premium device" even if considered SOHO. I don't consider this a "premium feature" in 2018. I'm already over my 1 Terabyte/month with Comcast, and I NEED TO KNOW what is sucking up the bandwidth. Come on, @netgear. Don't make us go elsewhere for this.

Message 10 of 16
douglasw
Guide

How on earth can bandwidth monitoring BY DEVICE not exist? I have 30 connected devices (yes, big family) and the kids somehow managed to tear through 1TB with Xfinity in just 18 days. I NEED TO BE ABLE to see who's the culprit! Ideally, track apps using the bandwidth too, so "laptop" device could eventually show just what it's doing. In the meantime, I'll happily take a report that shows daily by device!! This seems like table stakes for such a "high performance" triband Wifi system...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 16
zaq_hack
Guide

Message 12 of 16
greenerm
Aspirant

Similiar issue at our house. Eventually had to bite the bullet and pay the extra $50 to xfinity for unlimited internet. Family of 5 with 3 gaming teenagers.

Would love to be able to monitor each device. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried Circle? 

Please vote for this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Bandwidth-monitoring-by-device/idc-p/1675405...

@greenerm wrote:

Similiar issue at our house. Eventually had to bite the bullet and pay the extra $50 to xfinity for unlimited internet. Family of 5 with 3 gaming teenagers.

Would love to be able to monitor each device. 

Message 14 of 16
Knarf51
Aspirant

Firmware V2.2.1.210

I contacted Netgear support and simply asked a couple direct questions.

Q: "Can the Orbi AC3000 monitor individual devices?" A: "No" 

Q: "Are there plans to include this in the future?" A: "Not that I am aware of. The device is not capabile of having this functionality."

Maybe they will provide individual device monitoring capability when they roll out the new Armor product. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

New FW is available that has Armour I believe:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

@Knarf51 wrote:

Firmware V2.2.1.210

I contacted Netgear support and simply asked a couple direct questions.

Q: "Can the Orbi AC3000 monitor individual devices?" A: "No" 

Q: "Are there plans to include this in the future?" A: "Not that I am aware of. The device is not capabile of having this functionality."

Maybe they will provide individual device monitoring capability when they roll out the new Armor product. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 118 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7