Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bandwidth

AniDutta
Apprentice

Bandwidth

Before I got the Orbi, I had the Luma. I've since returned the Luma, but something is bothering me. With the Luma when I ran speed test on fast.com, I would consistently get close to the bandwidth I pay for. With the Orbi I'm getting less on both wired and wireless. It's about half the speed. Any ideas why? If I run a speed test directly at the modem, I get the speeds I pay for.

My setup is as follows: modem to Orbi. Desktop connected to Orbi.
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions

whats the orbi connected to and have you change out the ethernet led from the orbi to  what ever is upstream ?

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 18

All Replies

@AniDutta wrote:
Before I got the Orbi, I had the Luma. I've since returned the Luma, but something is bothering me. With the Luma when I ran speed test on fast.com, I would consistently get close to the bandwidth I pay for. With the Orbi I'm getting less on both wired and wireless. It's about half the speed. Any ideas why? If I run a speed test directly at the modem, I get the speeds I pay for.

My setup is as follows: modem to Orbi. Desktop connected to Orbi.

what mode is the modem running in and what mode is the orbi running in

eg do you have the modem in bridge mode or running as a modem / router and do you have the orbi router running in router mode or AP mode

as it may be the fact 2 routers are doing strange things

what type of internet do you have and whats the modem make and model and does it also do voice / phone services

Message 2 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

The modem is a cable modem (this is the equipment where the ISP's co-ax comes in) without wi-fi.  

Message 3 of 18
gfrey
Apprentice

What speed you getting?  I am getting at least 300Mbps no matter where I am at in my home with the Orbi.  I have 1Gbps ISP but I only get about 600Mbps wired.

Message 4 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

I have a 150Mbps connection through Comcast.  If i take a CAT5 from the modem to a laptop directly, i get 140-150 depending on time of day.  But once i hook it up to Orbi; i get 70-80 Mbps wired and wireless.  

Message 5 of 18
gfrey
Apprentice

That is odd behaviour.  I would make sure your firmware is up-to-date on the Orbi and Satelitte then I would do a Factory Reset.

Message 6 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

Factory reset is a very good suggestion.  Also make sure you try, at least first, with the router's default settings: Leave WMM enabled under QoS and do not enable other non-default features like Internet Traffic Meter because they may consume extra router resources.

I also have my Orbi connected to my Comcast modem but I still get ~200 Mbps on wireless (measured using fast.com).  I have my Xfinity router setup in Bridge mode but I don't think that should make any significant difference for your speeds.

Message 7 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

How do you do a factory reset? Press the button on the back of the router with a pin? If that's the case, I've done it. Still no improvement in speeds
Message 8 of 18

@AniDutta wrote:
How do you do a factory reset? Press the button on the back of the router with a pin? If that's the case, I've done it. Still no improvement in speeds

in the web interface under

advamced / administration / backup settings ----- Revert to factory default settings

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 9 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

Thanks. Just reset it. Still no change on speed. Getting 80-90Mbps on hard wired connection from router to desktop and similar on WiFi.
Message 10 of 18

whats the orbi connected to and have you change out the ethernet led from the orbi to  what ever is upstream ?

Message 11 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

cable modem to Orbi. Orbi to desktop(wired) and wireless. If I hook my laptop to the Ethernet port on modem I get 150Mbps. But if I hook into port on Orbi router I get 90 Mbps. 90Mbps is speeds I'm getting on fast.com on devices connected to Orbi network
Message 12 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

How strange that you're getting lower speed even hardwired to the Orbi (eliminating any wifi settings).  You could try setting your Xfinity modem to bridge mode and see if that makes a difference: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/?...

You can also try resetting your cable modem too: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/power-cycling-your-modem/

Message 13 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

As of now here's what I've tried:
A) factory reset Orbi ( no change in speed)
B) factory reset modem ( no change in speed)
C) put modem in bridge mode ( no change in speed)
D) disconnected Orbi and placed my old wrt1200; get 150 Mbps download speed on wired desktop.

Beginning to wonder if it's an issue with Orbi.
Message 14 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

I usually only use wireless, but tried connecting a laptop via a network cable to the Orbi base and verified 200Mbps speeds via fast.com.

Could your Orbi be connected to your cable modem via 100M vs. 1000M?  In Advanced...Internet Port...Show Statistics what does the WAN Status show?  Mine says "1000M/Full" for WAN.  Have you tried a different ethernet cable?  Sorry, I don't have any good ideas.

Message 15 of 18
AniDutta
Apprentice

Mikey:
It was the Ethernet cable that was the culprit. When I looked at the statistics, the WAN showed as 100M/Full. I immediately changed the cable, and now I'm getting full speed on both wired and wireless.
Thanks for your input.
Message 16 of 18
CChecker
Aspirant

It is unclear if anyone completely solved this issue.  I installed my brand new RBK50 this morning.  Prior to that, I had a Linksys router attached to a Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 16x4 cable modem.  I was getting Speedtest speeds of 235Mbps on my hardwired desktop computer and up to 90Mbps down or so on my wireless at the other end of the house.  I replaced the Linksys with the RBK50 (one router and one satelite) using the same cables except that I used the newly supplied cable from the router to the cable modem.  I'm now getting Speedtest speeds of 92Mbps down at the hardwired desktop and wireless speeds of 235Mbps throughout the house.  Interestingly, when I go to the ORBILOGIN on the desktop and run Advanced QoS Setup and Speedtest from there, I get 235Mbps down and 23Mbps up.  Anyone got the answer for the throttled hardwired desktop connection?  Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 17 of 18
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like your wired desktop has a bad cable or some other factor limiting your connection speed to 100 Mbs. Check the properties of the network adapter on your desktop to see what speed is negotiated with the Orbi. Jiggle the cable or replace the cable. I have a switch that can go between 100 and 1000 if the cable is moved slightly.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7