Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Barn WiFi question

Dogen
Aspirant

Barn WiFi question

I have an Orbi AC3000 base station and one indoor satellite in my farm house. This works great.

I want to have wired and WiFi in my barn. (Too far away for the Orbi to reach.) So I’m installing an Ethernet bridge from the house to the barn. In the house it will connect to an Ethernet port on the satellite Orbi.

My question: can I put another Orbi device in the barn, connected by wire to an Ethernet switch in the barn, and have it act like another Orbi satellite off the Orbi base station in the house?
Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Barn WiFi question

The short answer is "yes".  Orbi allows you to "Daisy Chain" one satellite off of another.  The link between the two satellites can be 5G wireless or ethernet.  As far as the two satellites are concerned, how ethernet gets from one to the other is not apparent.  It could be a single cable.... OR, it could be a link of some kind.

I believe there have been other inquiries in this forum, specifically about "barns".  Might be useful to search the forum.

Message 2 of 4
eljarviso
Luminary

Grab two ubiquiti nano station AC's to do an outside wirless bridge (i use these to connect to large office buildings).  connect another satellite to the bridge in the barn and orbi will treat it as an ethernet backhaul satellite.

Message 3 of 4
Dogen
Aspirant

Thanks, exactly what I was looking to know.

I did read the other barn threads before asking.

Later on I found a NetGear article on extending Ethernet which showed a picture of what you described except with all Orbis using wired connections. Logically it seemed like it shouldn’t matter whether the base station is wired to the first satellite or WiFied to it. But I prefer to get confirmation before purchasing...
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7