Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Barn is 1000 feet away from house what to use?

Bubba77
Aspirant

Barn is 1000 feet away from house what to use?

Hi All,

I have a Orbi system and have a barn 1000 feet from my house. Verizon says it will work but when technician came to the farm he said it would not. Any advice would be appreciated on what to use. Best

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

1,000 ft., even line of sight, is not going to work for an Orbi or any other typical WiFi apparatus.  I think what you need is something that will bridge 1,000 ft. from one network to another network.

For example, I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cambium-Networks-Plug-n-Play-Wireless-Ethernet/dp/B074W5FCWR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

You would attach this to your home router using ethernet cable and attach an access point to the other unit in the barn. I am pretty sure they intend for the units to be installed outdoors.  At 1,000 ft. the house WiFi network and the barn WiFi network will not interfere, so you can use the same SSID in both locations.

I have no personal experience with this particular brand, so you may find other similar units that offer better price/performance or more user reviews.  I certainly would read through the user comments and the entire installation and user manual first.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of far away for even wired LAN cable. 

Would maybe need a commercial grade wireless dish and reciever at that distance. 

Orbi or any other home grade wifi wil not suffice at that distance. 

Message 2 of 11
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have line of sight from the house to the barn?  It should work if it does with the Orbi Outdoor and the RBK50 series.  Place the OUtdoor Orbi in the barn, closest to the main house.  

Message 3 of 11
Bubba77
Aspirant

Hi and Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the range on the RBSY? 

@AmitR wrote:

Do you have line of sight from the house to the barn?  It should work if it does with the Orbi Outdoor and the RBK50 series.  Place the OUtdoor Orbi in the barn, closest to the main house.  

Message 5 of 11
Bubba77
Aspirant

Hi and Thanks. I do have a line of sight to the barn. Verizon only sold me the Orbi kit with the base and one indoor satellite. I may buy an outdoor or just return the Orbi kit.

Best

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

RBSY requires the use of a Orbi system FYI. 

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

1,000 ft., even line of sight, is not going to work for an Orbi or any other typical WiFi apparatus.  I think what you need is something that will bridge 1,000 ft. from one network to another network.

For example, I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cambium-Networks-Plug-n-Play-Wireless-Ethernet/dp/B074W5FCWR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

You would attach this to your home router using ethernet cable and attach an access point to the other unit in the barn. I am pretty sure they intend for the units to be installed outdoors.  At 1,000 ft. the house WiFi network and the barn WiFi network will not interfere, so you can use the same SSID in both locations.

I have no personal experience with this particular brand, so you may find other similar units that offer better price/performance or more user reviews.  I certainly would read through the user comments and the entire installation and user manual first.

Good Luck!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 11
Bubba77
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

Message 9 of 11
Bubba77
Aspirant

Very helpful and a big Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7