Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Beamforming and MU-MIMO Disabled by Default

jay540
Tutor

Beamforming and MU-MIMO Disabled by Default

I purchased my Orbi yesterday and setup in AP mode after much trial and error. Everything seems to be running fine. I have Fios as my ISP. My firmware on both the Orbi router and satellites were updated as well during the install.

I saw, under Advanced Wireless Settings that the Beamforming and MO-MIMO options have been disable by default. I must admit I am not sure exactly what these features are, however, it seems these features makes the wireless experience better and that is why we purchased these pricey babies. My search in these forums indicated that these features should've been updated in previous firmware updates.

My question, should I enable these features. What are the pros and cons. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Beamforming should be enabled. Helps in wifi performances.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32078-netgear-announces-draft-11ac-beamformin...

MIMO is for devices that support MIMO and mostly it can be enabled. In recent past few years MIMO devices have become more prominent and on wifi routers. If you don't have any MIMO devices this feature can be disable. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Beamforming should be enabled. Helps in wifi performances.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32078-netgear-announces-draft-11ac-beamformin...

MIMO is for devices that support MIMO and mostly it can be enabled. In recent past few years MIMO devices have become more prominent and on wifi routers. If you don't have any MIMO devices this feature can be disable. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

Message 2 of 18
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@jay540 wrote:

however, it seems these features makes the wireless experience better and that is why we purchased these pricey babies.

Same here. The MIMO functionality specifically.  WiFi calling works reliably with it enabled.  

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume NG may want to let the user enable these or not. There are some older devices out there that or not MIMO supporting. I think Beamfroming should be enabled by default. One can always disable it if need by for troublshooting. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 18
jay540
Tutor

Thank you all and for the links explaining in detail.
Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 18
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I presume NG may want to let the user enable these or not.

DNK what NG is thinking here.  I wonder how many customers bought this product and have no idea these features are buried deep in a settings screen they're unaware of.  And I'm also unclear what the downside is of turning them on by default even if no active devices use the features.  

Message 7 of 18
jay540
Tutor

Very true. After reading all of your responses, I have turned both features on. I believe my wife and I both have MU-MIMO enabled mobiles. I don't see any increase in ISP as we are already getting the highest of what we have subscribed for. All these years I never got 50% of subscribed speed.
Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Dont know either. I would think they would be turned on by default. At least Beamforming. 

Something to ask NG about. 

@Blanca_O 

@gr8sho wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I presume NG may want to let the user enable these or not.

DNK what NG is thinking here.  I wonder how many customers bought this product and have no idea these features are buried deep in a settings screen they're unaware of.  And I'm also unclear what the downside is of turning them on by default even if no active devices use the features.  

Message 9 of 18
wase471111
Apprentice

I dont see in the web interface the menu where mimo/beamforming is...

using a imac, latest os if that matters..

thanks!

Message 10 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@wase471111 wrote:

I dont see in the web interface the menu where mimo/beamforming is...

using a imac, latest os if that matters..

Mac/PC should not matter.  On the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Wireless Settings, items at the very bottom of the page (may have to scroll down).

Message 11 of 18
wase471111
Apprentice

I only have the following things on that screen:

-region selection

-advanced wireless settings for both 2.4 and 5ghz

-backhaul password

below that is the help center, so I dont have those menus on my browser..

using latest safari, and tried bravo and chrome too, so its some thing else..

plus, none of my devices show up in the devices list

Message 12 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

When my screen is "bigger", I have to scroll down. (Used the "+" and "-" options)  Yes, the Help Center is at the "bottom", but in web design terms, there is a "frame" above the help center that scrolls separately from the screen as a whole.

Message 13 of 18
wase471111
Apprentice

I understand completely what you are saying, and I know exactly what you mean about the frames; for some crazy reason, no matter what browser I use, I cant see that "frame" you are talking about, above the help center..

Is there a way to do it from the phone app instead?

thanks

Message 14 of 18
wase471111
Apprentice

I just talked to netgear, and they told me on the rbr853, and on all wifi 6 orbi priducts, beamforming and mumimo is ENABLED by default; it comes on automatically when used/needed,and there is no where in the web interface to turn it on or off...

Message 15 of 18
jay540
Tutor

I have RBR50 with one satellite. Installed and running since less than one month. Under "Advanced Wireless Settings" at the bottom of the page, you will find Enable Implicit Beamforming and Enable MU-MIMO options. For me they were not enabled by default. Hope this helps.
Message 16 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

The previous comment was about the WiFi 6 Orbi line, not the WiFi 5 Orbi's discussed in this forum.

The WiFi 6 (AX) products have their own community forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

I think the intent of the previous post was to point out that the product lines are "different" in more ways than support for WiFi 6.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, for the 8 series Orbi, Beamfroming and MIMO are not seen in the UI. 

Please be sure to post about any Orbi 8 series systems over in the Orbi AX forum

Thanks. 

@wase471111 wrote:

I just talked to netgear, and they told me on the rbr853, and on all wifi 6 orbi priducts, beamforming and mumimo is ENABLED by default; it comes on automatically when used/needed,and there is no where in the web interface to turn it on or off...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7