Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Beamforming and MU_MIMO default settings

PhoenixV
Apprentice

Beamforming and MU_MIMO default settings

I noticed a change in the defaults for MU-MIMO and Beamforming. Prior to upgrading to 1.3.0.26 firmwate, these were checked by default. In 1.3.00.26 the default has been changed to unchecked? Does anyone have any insight as to why this was changed? 

Message 1 of 15
Hydro130
Luminary

I confess that I can't say for certain that I didn't manually re-check those after I updated firmware and was then cruising through my setup double-checking all the various settings, but I don't recall having to manually re-enable those options.

I think that would've struck me as particularly odd at the time, and I don't recall anything like that sticking out to me.

Cheers, Chris

Message 2 of 15
PhoenixV
Apprentice

It seems that if you update from the previous version and do not do a manual reset of the router they remain enabled, however if you manually reset the router (or through the page in firmware) after the system resets both options are no longer enabled by default.

Message 3 of 15

yea it will ve the case that if you upgrade the firmware but do not factory reset afterwared the nvram isnt cleared and thus you retain your current config

if however you factory reset after upgrade the nvram will be cleared and the default config at startup is used and by default both mu-mimo and implicit beamforming are disabled

Message 4 of 15
PhoenixV
Apprentice

Pete, this seems to be a change from the previous defaults. I seem to recall that prior versions had these options checked? Why the change? Any insight?

Message 5 of 15

hi

its to do with compatibility with some of the IoT devices like ring door bell and a few others that wont connect with these enabled

if you dont have any issues with clients mis behaving and or refusing to connect etc you can enable them without issue , older apple devices can also exhibit these issues

i have them enabled here and it improves coverage so will leave them **bleep** way

Message 6 of 15

@peteytesting wrote:

hi

i have them enabled here and it improves coverage so will leave them **bleep** way

was meant to read

i have them enabled here and it improves coverage so will leave them that way.

spell check and abuse filter getting confused once again lol.

Message 7 of 15
Yld2rob
Luminary

I think they are having issues. With those features enabled, it is causing any Nest Camera to randomly disconnect.

Message 8 of 15
JackOcon
Initiate

I might have a little insight into why these settings are checked off. I had manually checked those settings and all was well for weeks until last night.

Last night while I was working I noticed my internet running very slowly, around 1mbps download and 1 upload. With my ISP I pay to receive 45mbps down and 5 upload. After calling my ISP, disconnecting my orbi system and running ethernet from ISP gateway to my computer I was getting full bandwith. The second I plugged the orbi back in bandwidth would drop. I called orbi customer support and I was instructed to uncheck Beamforming and mu-mimo. Once unchecking those options my bandwidth was back to normal. Netgear tech support said their developers are working through issues where those settings are causing bandwidth to drop. Might be a good idea to leave those options unchecked in the meantime, seems as if there is a good reason why they have disable those settings by default at this time. Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 15
TechSpecDelta
Initiate

What's the update on this? @DarrenM  posted on this topic (same issue) stating "future firmware"  though it's been over 6 months since this has been an issue.

Can we get some kind of update of when we're expected to see a fix?  The next month?  The next 3 months?? The next year???

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 10 of 15
JMU1998
Luminary

Can someone who is involved in the testing effort comment if Beamforming and MUMIMO are working in the current Beta?? 

Message 11 of 15

@JMU1998 wrote:

Can someone who is involved in the testing effort comment if Beamforming and MUMIMO are working in the current Beta?? 

sorry but due to the NDA that beta testers are under they cant comment on anything that is done is being done in the beta testing 

Message 12 of 15
JMU1998
Luminary

@peteytesting..  OK I guess we will find out once it is released... Only reason I asked was because I was hoping these advanced features were working I did pay $500 for it so would be a massive disappointment if we could never use those features because of instability, but I understand the complexities and challenge and will patiently wait.

Message 13 of 15
Aleekjt
Aspirant

How do you change this? To turn them on and off?
Message 14 of 15

undrer advanced set / wifi

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7